The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,202 of 9,165
Totally agreed!

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #4,203 of 9,165
Quote:
Will the sound breakup if volume is increase ?

It will depend on the headphones you are using.  With some with higher impedance or sensitivity or efficiency, it won't get loud enough to break up.   With some more efficient headphones, turning it up will make it too loud for the headphone to handle - also too loud to listen to.

In general, the ak is very black and low distortion and noise.  It is one of its biggest strengths.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,204 of 9,165
I am not sure if memory is serving me correctly, but the Gold AK100 seems to be more dynamic sounding, with better contrasting. Also the battery life seems to be longer......compared the the Black one. Of course as I have mentioned, I have lent the black one after a 5 days usage so cannot compare until a later stage.

Whether, this is fact, please take with a pinch of salt, however, I was told by Rudi0504 that the Gold AK100 did have a different type battery, when his friend modded a Gold AK100.

If this is so, then I think my observation is well founded. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #4,205 of 9,165
Quote:
I am not sure if memory is serving me correctly, but the Gold AK100 seems to be more dynamic sounding, with better contrasting. Also the battery life seems to be longer......compared the the Black one. Of course as I have mentioned, I have lent the black one after a 5 days usage so cannot compare until a later stage.

Whether, this is fact, please take with a pinch of salt, however, I was told by Rudi0504 that the Gold AK100 did have a different type battery, when his friend modded a Gold AK100.

Interesting. I wonder if we can source the magical battery and swap them in our black AKs? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4,206 of 9,165
Quote:
Fidelity, you can use AK100 as transport via normal toslink cable and 3.5 toslink adapter into player. this will be safe and reliable connection without nitty gritty software and else things, just plain simple with 3.5mm adapter into player then toslink cable into DAC in your system, so far so happy :-D

btw, i always hated connecting via software drivers and always prefer to run my Mac into USB-SPDIF adapter and then from adapter into DAC, brings outstanding result, i find it much better than going USB or FW.... call me old fashioned.

Ah I see, noted, good shall grab one and try out shortly.
Thanks again for your assistance. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #4,207 of 9,165
A question regarding the AK100 and a $700 set of IEM's... Would it be better to buy the AK100 and with the remaining funds buy the best set of IEM's I could get for around $700 - Or get an iPod Classic 160GB and get the best set of $1100 IEM's I could get....

I just managed to swing an extra $1500 and would like to take a step up in quality. This is to be portable and I don't think I want to add an amplifier to the mix as that would add extra bulk I don't want to mess with...

What would you do with $1500?

With 1500, you can get theAK100 with a good pair of IEM or even CIEM.

My incoming setup is a AK100 with W4R.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #4,208 of 9,165
Quote:

any comparison to RWA AK100?

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #4,210 of 9,165
spkrs, what DAPs you normally listening besides Terra? i see you have whole collection of top DAPs so curious to hear your impressions.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #4,211 of 9,165
I know you love the synergy with your fitear custom but can you also comment on the synergy with other IEM you have. Thanks in advance :)
Quote:

I have never listened to the RWA unfortunately.

Actually with the AK100. I was not interested in this DAP at all until 2 weeks ago and I never actually bothered listening to it....and now I have two, LOL

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #4,212 of 9,165
Quote:
spkrs, what DAPs you normally listening besides Terra? i see you have whole collection of top DAPs so curious to hear your impressions.

I only listen to the AK100 exclusively with the FitEar MH335DW as I think the synergy is near perfect for me, keeping the innate rich harmonics and smooth effortless delivery of the 335. It doesn't punch too hard though, but it is so smooth and euphonic.

Like I posted on the MH335DW thread, it is liken to listening to music in a wood paneled room with high ceilings and rich heavy furnishings,

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,213 of 9,165
Spkrs, i prefer rich textured aggressive sound of live performance even when acoustics of the hall is not perfect... you know this magical air reverb and tight bass punch projecting beyond your stomach.... compared to the relaxed small acoustic chamber sound you can achieve in 13 century medieval castle hall with high wooden ceilings :-D

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #4,214 of 9,165
Surprisingly for you preferred signature, the C4pro is not bad at all......but perhaps sans the aggressive nature but probably you can achieve that with certain IEMs......

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,215 of 9,165
C4pro :-D

btw, i see there is C4 so what this pro word means? is this the same C4 (big one in wooden enclosure)?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back