The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #9,436 of 23,653
Agreed - no good will come out of that discussion, no matter which way of the pendulum you swing.

I purchased a Massdrop 2-pin kit (2.5mm + 4.4mm adapter) in anticipation of the A12t's, but I heard that it'll require a bit of touchup to get it to fit. Anyone have an experience with that cable in particular?

And while we're on the topic of cables, anyone know of a 2-pin cable which is similar to the IER M9's cable? That cable is by far the best cable I've ever used - doesn't tangle easily, zero microphonics, no braiding to come loose.

One alternative is to buy M9’s stock cable, and have someone to replace the MMCX with 2 pin. But I don’t know where you can buy the stock M9 cable.

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #9,438 of 23,653
One alternative is to buy M9’s stock cable, and have someone to replace the MMCX with 2 pin. But I don’t know where you can buy the stock M9 cable.

I can get the M9 cable pretty easily (and somewhat affordably), but I'd rather have an off-the-shelf solution.

Just to justify my point look fourte black has 7 wires and an 8 wires included cable with them

So if cable where not of an important matter why would they do this then hmmm ?

Lets simply use our lamp wires instead lmao

So they can charge you $1,000 more or so?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #9,439 of 23,653
Oh man, let's not open that can of worms. The cable debate never goes well.

To answer your question, the only reasons I would change out a cable are for comfort, termination, and aesthetics. I found the cable that came with my A12t was a little stiff, so I changed it out for a softer one.
Thats funny but I find cable upgrade are worth it and I dont like silver plated one because they have harsh treble )

I dont consider iem manufacturer sending you the iem with a proper cable. Even sonys ier-z1r stocl cable isnt to the alley of the performance that the z1r can achieve )

It of course depends what kind of custom cable you will add. And wires count ass well

Just to justify my point look fourte black has 7 wires and an 8 wires included cable with them

So if cable where not of an important matter why would they do this then hmmm ?

Lets simply use our lamp wires instead lmao

Good point! I certainly do believe cables make a difference, but up to a certain point. the most I've spent on a cable is $200 on aliexpress, and I think that'll be my max. everything above that, to me at least, seems like a luxury with little sonic difference. as long as it's not like a dirty, impure copper cable that's rusted 12 times over. but what do i know, i've never tried one yet.

the material count and whether it matters or not is interesting. I still find it hard to justify 18 drivers without 18 crossovers. The Fourte, and many other flagships have shown a driver can handle a frequency range all on its own, heck even the full spectrum for single driver iems. so for 8 small drivers to focus on highs is interesting, but what do I know? I've never made one myself. maybe it's a volume thing? maybe it's a headroom or threshold thing?

let's be honest. to the layman like most of us, if it SOUNDS important, we'll think it's important. tell me Zeus Himself took a dump on the Empire Ears building and magically made their products sound better and ill buy it!

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #9,440 of 23,653
Good point! I certainly do believe cables make a difference, but up to a certain point. the most I've spent on a cable is $200 on aliexpress, and I think that'll be my max. everything above that, to me at least, seems like a luxury with little sonic difference. as long as it's not like a dirty, impure copper cable that's rusted 12 times over. but what do i know, i've never tried one yet.

the material count and whether it matters or not is interesting. I still find it hard to justify 18 drivers without 18 crossovers. The Fourte, and many other flagships have shown a driver can handle a frequency range all on its own, heck even the full spectrum for single driver iems. so for 8 small drivers to focus on highs is interesting, but what do I know? I've never made one myself. maybe it's a volume thing? maybe it's a headroom or threshold thing?

let's be honest. to the layman like most of us, if it SOUNDS important, we'll think it's important. tell me Zeus Himself took a dump on the Empire Ears building and magically made their products sound better and ill buy it!

It's a distortion thing. All drivers have an ideal SPL/distortion curve, where the louder it gets, the more distortion you get.

Of course, having 8 is sorta leaning on 'why' more than the actual reason, but there's a reason driver stacking is a thing.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #9,441 of 23,653
It's a distortion thing. All drivers have an ideal SPL/distortion curve, where the louder it gets, the more distortion you get.

Of course, having 8 is sorta leaning on 'why' more than the actual reason, but there's a reason driver stacking is a thing.
You can bring a balanced armature to quite a volume before distortion occurs. At that point, and if you still have the iems in your ears, you should go deaf

Mar 11, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #9,442 of 23,653
this is ‘smoke’ transparent
Thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for!

Let me try this one more time as my last post did not display correctly.
Another concern I have with the Noir is that it is limited to 500 units. If it is so special, why is it not another model that 64 Audio makes? I understand limited editions when the case or faceplate is gold, silver, etc. However, if the model was truly made to sound superior it should be a regular model. The fact that it is not makes my antenna go up. Maybe it is just me.
I don't know how much of this info is legit and how much is just marketing, but apparently the Mundorf solder is really complicated to work with, so for them to make the Noir a mass production, standard model would bring up their labor cost a fair bit - at least that's the "official" statement I recall (might be wrong) when it comes to why it is they didn't just make the Noir the standard Fourte

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #9,443 of 23,653
You can bring a balanced armature to quite a volume before distortion occurs. At that point, and if you still have the iems in your ears, you should go deaf

Perhaps in isolation, with only a BA measured from the nozzle. However, throw in tubes and chambers, and the resonance gets a little out of hand.

Basically, it's a form of hardware EQ these days. Distortion still remains a problem, but stacking drivers is also a form of mixing and matching.

This is a cute diagram I've found before:

1583922078108.png

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #9,444 of 23,653
The Legacy Upgrade Program
What’s a family without a few perks? We want to say thank you for being a loyal customer and faithful member of the 64 Family. Without you, our #64Fam would not have grown to what it is.
nYlaW1552b1qlRYPv23Dyj6yLfkicndc0Bqwr0dEvjIIM9XkKscToAQ6X3NoH0aqeN4gcP7lKNCOg7BaB7uYRmINxWWhMAHAROxN4QE1m106X0IXmi6Cn8GoXM6xQLvBRfyXOB7wBPICEjuDAi8l6eXDDKpM3w=s0-d-e1-ft

Up to 20% off Current A-Series
We created the Legacy Upgrade Program to benefit our returning customers. It doesn't matter how old (or new) the product you own is, our team will work to qualify you for the maximum discount available for our current line-up of custom in-ear monitors.

For complete details and information on how to participate click below and begin your path to the latest and greatest we have to offer!

Glad they finally implemented this... now existing customers do not need to wait for BF sales. *wished it was 25% though since there were a few BF sales which reached 25% lol*

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #9,445 of 23,653
Thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for!

I don't know how much of this info is legit and how much is just marketing, but apparently the Mundorf solder is really complicated to work with, so for them to make the Noir a mass production, standard model would bring up their labor cost a fair bit - at least that's the "official" statement I recall (might be wrong) when it comes to why it is they didn't just make the Noir the standard Fourte
I have owned ( and still do by the way )and listened to some top stereo systems over the years. At no time was solder the biggest key to something being improved. Maybe part of many changes, but not by itself. But, as I will readily admit, if you have not heard it, you have no worthy opinion on the sound. One day ( unfortunately, probably not anytime soon) I will hear it. As I own the Fourte, I have not been overly interested, especially as many others preferred the Fourte. Are you getting one? Tks.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #9,446 of 23,653
Really, really close to getting the fourte noir :D Would be my second 64 audio IEM after the u18. I love the u18 but I've had it for two years now and am really aching for a more "fun" companion to it. And the noir design is sooooo sexy.

So, like... should I get it guys?

Any noir owners out there?

Hope I’m not too late. I looove Noir. It’s probably my favorite, even above the A18t, which I love.

I’m listening to it right now on my home system, in fact, and I don’t regret selling my Focal Utopias for them. They scale basically infinitely well with good sources. Whereas the A18t goes wide, the Noirs go deep. They excel at conveying emotion while still being balanced and detailed.

Edit: the only thing I dislike about the Noir is that it’s universal. I really like customs for comfort, improved sound quality, and isolation. If they came out with a custom Noir—I’d pay a lot of money. (Are you listening, 64!?)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #9,447 of 23,653
If they came out with a custom Noir—I’d pay a lot of money. (Are you listening, 64!?)

Pshh...get in line, buddy.

:upside_down:

Next in line with 64A for a18s demos. curious to hear what they've done with the tuning. do not expect them to sound too different from the t, but would be cool to be pleasantly surprised...

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #9,448 of 23,653
Pshh...get in line, buddy.

:upside_down:

Next in line with 64A for a18s demos. curious to hear what they've done with the tuning. do not expect them to sound too different from the t, but would be cool to be pleasantly surprised...
Apparently they do though, 16 of the drivers are different. I’ll be placing the order for mine tomorrow or so

everything in my current line-up is rather treble intensive so a warmer IEM would be a cool addition

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #9,449 of 23,653
we'll see...

:relaxed:

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #9,450 of 23,653
Hope I’m not too late. I looove Noir. It’s probably my favorite, even above the A18t, which I love.

I’m listening to it right now on my home system, in fact, and I don’t regret selling my Focal Utopias for them. They scale basically infinitely well with good sources. Whereas the A18t goes wide, the Noirs go deep. They excel at conveying emotion while still being balanced and detailed.

Edit: the only thing I dislike about the Noir is that it’s universal. I really like customs for comfort, improved sound quality, and isolation. If they came out with a custom Noir—I’d pay a lot of money. (Are you listening, 64!?)

How does noir compares to trio? Or the original fourte?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back