The PENON official thread
May 2, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #13,667 of 13,837
Will the Voltage be available as custom fit IEMs?

On that note, has anyone here ordered customs from Penon in the past? If so, how did they turn out in terms of fit and sound quality? Was the ordering process smooth?

May 2, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #13,668 of 13,837

On that note, has anyone here ordered customs from Penon in the past? If so, how did they turn out in terms of fit and sound quality? Was the ordering process smooth?
I'm also interested in this. I am considering getting one of there more expensive models, but the last time I ordered something from Penon they cancelled the order immediately and refunded the amount. They didn't give a reason.

May 2, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #13,669 of 13,837

I'm also interested in this. I am considering getting one of there more expensive models, but the last time I ordered something from Penon they cancelled the order immediately and refunded the amount. They didn't give a reason.

I know plenty of people that got custom Impacts and Volts so I am certain they can accommodate. I would send them a message about your interest and they will get back to you guys.

I do have some information regarding the impending Voltage release. Same team that worked on the Impacts worked on this one so it is their top effort. They are working on making as many as they can for launch right now. Apparently it is slower going due to precision matching for tribrids with 10 drivers per side. I can only imagine how tedious that can be. But these guys are up to the task.

All I am saying is. Keep tabs on your mailer.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #13,670 of 13,837
I'm also interested in this.

I asked them about this when I enquired about the Voltage several months ago and they said yes. But then that was several months back.

last time I ordered something from Penon they cancelled the order immediately and refunded the amount. They didn't give a reason.

No harm asking them why, especially if you’re planning to spend a considerable amount. They were transparent and helpful the one time I ran into payment issues.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #13,671 of 13,837
I'm very keen to learn how the Voltage compare to the Quattros, from your impressions it sounds like the two are quite different though perhaps similarly sized.
Physical size differences. I will throw a pic comparison later but the quattros are more of a bulky medium sized overall vs the larger sized Voltage. They share similar bulkiness though. More drivers means larger housing. I dont know if it is possible to stuff 2x 8mm dynanmics with 8 other drivers in a more compact shell let me put it that way.

As per sound differences. Your absolutely correct in that they both are different yet the tunings are from the same folks. You guys could have guessed the Quattro leans more musical in approach more analoguish in all things sound presentation almost old school like. Quattros presents sound in a moderately large field for IEM. Voltage is wider and grander in sound presentation is more effiecient vs the Quattros. What makes the Voltage a higher end IEM vs the Quattros is its technical level vs the Quattros. I never thought the Quattros lacked in imaging or a proper tonal character. I will even say they sound even more natural vs the Voltage or any BA based IEM but the technical element has some limitations as it using a single dynamic for the mids presentation vs the Voltage two Sonion BAs. Not to mention that it is using 6 total drivers for the highs vs a single dynamic for the Quattros representing the highs. Quattros are much more forgiving of poorly mastered stuff as you would have guessed but on the other hand does need some grunt for power for them to really shine. Voltage does not require more power for them to show you, your hearing a higher end sound. It will be consistent with pretty much anything your using them with but does love some tube amping

Voltage sounds more dimensional with better sound separation, better precision all around including imaging and its detailed presentation is on another level too. Bass and tonal character overall is cleaner for the Voltage. Quattros having a just a bit more mid bass impact but ends up being fairly similar in bass impact with the bass switch up. Qualtiy wise I would give the leg up on the Voltage. Treble wise whats interesting about the Quattro is that it has very good treble extension that has a bit of an extra sheen for trebles due to ample upper trebles. Makes up for not having any ESTs.

The Voltage does not have to resort to extra emphasis in the region as the ESTs does a fantastic job at adding that extra upper treble shimmer when called upon but will not be present for tracks that don't call for it. The Quattros on the other hand will have that on just about all the treble notes giving it a touch of tinny vibe to the treble notes. Trebles on the Voltage is on another level, its got a solid weighty treble note in comparison.

Quattro has a bit of a silky treble tonal character due to its upper treble sheen but once you actually hear what 6 total drivers does for treble notes. It almost sounds incomplete in comparison. Like there is something missing there. Which in reality it really is not. In fact you never hear about treble of the Quattro being incomplete or missing on something but I can't decribe it any other way. This is a case where if you didn't have something like the Voltage to compare sound aspects of the quattro with I would be completely content with how it sounds as it is more of an IEM for enjoying your music. The Voltage you can definiely scrutinize and dissect elements of your music. But what appeals so much about the Voltage is that its not missing out on what makes a Penon IEM so enjoyable. That musicality. Its got it and it has no shame in its game. You want a full bored sound, you will get that with the Voltage. It don't have a weak bass, it dont have any recessed nothing, no missing treble elemtents at all and it is coming at you guys real soon.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #13,672 of 13,837
Physical size differences. I will throw a pic comparison later but the quattros are more of a bulky medium sized overall vs the larger sized Voltage. They share similar bulkiness though. More drivers means larger housing. I dont know if it is possible to stuff 2x 8mm dynanmics with 8 other drivers in a more compact shell let me put it that way.

As per sound differences. Your absolutely correct in that they both are different yet the tunings are from the same folks. You guys could have guessed the Quattro leans more musical in approach more analoguish in all things sound presentation almost old school like. Quattros presents sound in a moderately large field for IEM. Voltage is wider and grander in sound presentation is more effiecient vs the Quattros. What makes the Voltage a higher end IEM vs the Quattros is its technical level vs the Quattros. I never thought the Quattros lacked in imaging or a proper tonal character. I will even say they sound even more natural vs the Voltage or any BA based IEM but the technical element has some limitations as it using a single dynamic for the mids presentation vs the Voltage two Sonion BAs. Not to mention that it is using 6 total drivers for the highs vs a single dynamic for the Quattros representing the highs. Quattros are much more forgiving of poorly mastered stuff as you would have guessed but on the other hand does need some grunt for power for them to really shine. Voltage does not require more power for them to show you, your hearing a higher end sound. It will be consistent with pretty much anything your using them with but does love some tube amping

Voltage sounds more dimensional with better sound separation, better precision all around including imaging and its detailed presentation is on another level too. Bass and tonal character overall is cleaner for the Voltage. Quattros having a just a bit more mid bass impact but ends up being fairly similar in bass impact with the bass switch up. Qualtiy wise I would give the leg up on the Voltage. Treble wise whats interesting about the Quattro is that it has very good treble extension that has a bit of an extra sheen for trebles due to ample upper trebles. Makes up for not having any ESTs.

The Voltage does not have to resort to extra emphasis in the region as the ESTs does a fantastic job at adding that extra upper treble shimmer when called upon but will not be present for tracks that don't call for it. The Quattros on the other hand will have that on just about all the treble notes giving it a touch of tinny vibe to the treble notes. Trebles on the Voltage is on another level, its got a solid weighty treble note in comparison.

Quattro has a bit of a silky treble tonal character due to its upper treble sheen but once you actually hear what 6 total drivers does for treble notes. It almost sounds incomplete in comparison. Like there is something missing there. Which in reality it really is not. In fact you never hear about treble of the Quattro being incomplete or missing on something but I can't decribe it any other way. This is a case where if you didn't have something like the Voltage to compare sound aspects of the quattro with I would be completely content with how it sounds as it is more of an IEM for enjoying your music. The Voltage you can definiely scrutinize and dissect elements of your music. But what appeals so much about the Voltage is that its not missing out on what makes a Penon IEM so enjoyable. That musicality. Its got it and it has no shame in its game. You want a full bored sound, you will get that with the Voltage. It don't have a weak bass, it dont have any recessed nothing, no missing treble elemtents at all and it is coming at you guys real soon.
Just out of curiosity, do you work for Penon?

May 2, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #13,674 of 13,837

You really know how to make somebody hungry :wink: .

Big thanks for the wall of text !

Edit: I like to see/hear a Penon Volt <-> TSMR X comparision. Thx in advance !

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #13,675 of 13,837
Nope. Never made a penny off of them. I would be member of the trade if I was working for them. They needed a person to help relay what they are doing. They seem to have chose me to do so. I review their stuff but that is the extent of it.

Presumably there is some benefit to you and you are not just doing it out of the goodness of your heart ?

May 2, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #13,676 of 13,837
You really know how to make somebody hungry :wink: .

Big thanks for the wall of text !

Edit: I like to see/hear a Penon Volt <-> TSMR X comparision. Thx in advance !

TSMR-X is more bass driven sound siganture but can be more neutral leaning due to true variability to true basshead levels for bass which affects its balancing. Volts has one signature but it is very musical sound signature. Volt is bassy but is more of a mid focused signature. Technicalities on both sets are excellent with the Volt having just bit wider deeper thicker bodied sound. The other main difference is that the Volts are using some premium Sonion BAs for its mids that happen to be some of the best in the industry. The TSMR-X uses dual knowles which in comparison to the Volts sound signature is more dry in tonal character for mids performance.

Volts gives a romantic colored sound presentation. Big holographic and nuanced for mids with a thicker note weight in comparison. Has a punchy mid bass presentation, good but not great sub bass performance. Again some of the best mids next to the newer Impacts in comparison. TSMR-X is got the technical aspects down but compared to the volts is not as rich sounding or as full bodied. Volts represents the older Penon sound. Voltage represents the newer more balanced tunings Penon has been doing. TSMR-X is the very definition audiphile bass IEM. The Volts may be old school but there is a reason why it took Penon so long to bring out a proper sucessor. It is a true classic.

May 2, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #13,677 of 13,837
Presumably there is some benefit to you and you are not just doing it out of the goodness of your heart ?
He does get to demo and review things before a lot of people so that's a big plus. Also I'm sure they aren't asking for everything back after he's done with it?

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #13,678 of 13,837
ah, this time of month again in the Penon thread lol

May 2, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #13,679 of 13,837
TSMR-X is more bass driven sound siganture but can be more neutral leaning due to true variability to true basshead levels for bass which affects its balancing. Volts has one signature but it is very musical sound signature. Volt is bassy but is more of a mid focused signature. Technicalities on both sets are excellent with the Volt having just bit wider deeper thicker bodied sound. The other main difference is that the Volts are using some premium Sonion BAs for its mids that happen to be some of the best in the industry. The TSMR-X uses dual knowles which in comparison to the Volts sound signature is more dry in tonal character for mids performance.

Volts gives a romantic colored sound presentation. Big holographic and nuanced for mids with a thicker note weight in comparison. Has a punchy mid bass presentation, good but not great sub bass performance. Again some of the best mids next to the newer Impacts in comparison. TSMR-X is got the technical aspects down but compared to the volts is not as rich sounding or as full bodied. Volts represents the older Penon sound. Voltage represents the newer more balanced tunings Penon has been doing. TSMR-X is the very definition audiphile bass IEM. The Volts may be old school but there is a reason why it took Penon so long to bring out a proper sucessor. It is a true classic.
I might get the Volt instead of the Voltage, as they're "similar" to the 10EA.

I got to sleep on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back