The PENON official thread
May 8, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #13,757 of 13,883
Price is a tricky one because audiophiles often assume it directly indicates performance level.

Many new to the hobby or those skeptical of spending more instantly rule items above a certain threshold off the table, and at the other end of the spectrum elitists can assume anything below a certain pricepoint doesn't sound impressive enough to be worth their consideration.

That's why middle-ground prices that are neither dramatically accessible nor exclusively expensive can be problematic because it's almost as if manufacturers attract a guaranteed audience pricing either very high or very low (admittedly the audience at the lower end is vastly larger) whereas many great products priced in the middle can become overlooked & lost in the crowd.

That typically isn't the case with IEMs from established manufacturers with devoted fanbases like Penon and I'm sure Voltage will have no difficulty attracting attention, but it highlights the tough decision it must often be knowing which price is the right one to set. There's probably advantages pricing as low as possible to compete with similar offerings from direct competitors, though by deliberately pricing higher a manufacturer could to some extent guide consumer perception of quality.

Ultimately, performance is king. Oriolus Traillii proved the market will tolerate almost any price if performance is strong enough and there's perceived uniqueness that can't easily be acquired from a cheaper offering. I'm not suggesting manufacturers increase prices to stratospheric levels to attract attention, but rather I think if an IEM sounds good enough people are probably quite flexible when it comes to price - willingly stretching their budgets quite a bit for something they perceive as being truly great.

Unfortunately in such a competitive market, producing something genuinely exceptional that's also distinctive enough to differentiate itself is enormously difficult.

May 8, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #13,759 of 13,883
While I mentioned the switches gives a mild V shaped tuning which is what the 10th is. Believe me the Voltage is on a different league of sound vs the 10th. It is way more refined in every part of it sound performance. The sound performance of the Voltage will more than speak for itself when early folks get theirs. I am eagerly awaiting what folks have to say about it cuz imo the price is not only correct but is actually aggressive. Penon could have sold these for so much more. But that is for you all to find out soon enough.

If you guys read my flagship shoot out I posted the other day I am comparing them to the $1200 Legends and $2500 Impacts. These hang easily with both and does a few things better. So you are telling me Penon will sell these cheaper than the Volts? Thats just not realistic. These have better technicalities, better bass and treble vs Volts. I will just outright say that. They are imo much more dynamic sounding vs the Legends but equally technical. They can be a nice alternative to the Impacts. Especially for folks that wanted dynamic bass with your excellent mids. I think Penon got the pricing right to be honest. At least they are not like other manufacturers that price their premium stuff at 3K + and throw in a needlessly expensive cable to warrent that price.

Plus you guys that get your mailer. Look out for that VIP pricing.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #13,760 of 13,883
would really love Penon to investigate using other material besides resin for their shells. Not upset they charge more, obviously there is a market for it but I’m simply not looking for a basic resin shell IEM for kilobucks sets.

If it’s going to have a premium price, it needs to have a premium build too. Plus they really could a design shake up imo.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #13,761 of 13,883
While I mentioned the switches gives a mild V shaped tuning which is what the 10th is. Believe me the Voltage is on a different league of sound vs the 10th. It is way more refined in every part of it sound performance. The sound performance of the Voltage will more than speak for itself when early folks get theirs. I am eagerly awaiting what folks have to say about it cuz imo the price is not only correct but is actually aggressive. Penon could have sold these for so much more. But that is for you all to find out soon enough.

If you guys read my flagship shoot out I posted the other day I am comparing them to the $1200 Legends and $2500 Impacts. These hang easily with both and does a few things better. So you are telling me Penon will sell these cheaper than the Volts? Thats just not realistic. These have better technicalities, better bass and treble vs Volts. I will just outright say that. They are imo much more dynamic sounding vs the Legends but equally technical. They can be a nice alternative to the Impacts. Especially for folks that wanted dynamic bass with your excellent mids. I think Penon got the pricing right to be honest. At least they are not like other manufacturers that price their premium stuff at 3K + and throw in a needlessly expensive cable to warrent that price.

I wish Penon well with the Voltage, I am sure it is a wondrous IEM. But it is priced in a way to limit access to many of Penon's fans, and above the mid fi tier where some amazing products are regularly being introduced. Anyway, let's see the demand the Voltage enconters, and best of luck to Penon with it.

May 8, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #13,762 of 13,883

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I do agree with your statement. However, there are also other options out there that go the opposite, meaning not overpricing their products and making them a value.

Penon, I think has made a name for themselves, and I genuinely love their house sound.

Pricing their newer folow up to the Volt, 50% higher is not being aggressive in pricing, it depends on which way you look at it 😀

May 8, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #13,764 of 13,883
You guys get your VIP mailer yet ? That is the price I am talking about. But all things in due time.
Nope, still waiting.

May 8, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #13,765 of 13,883
Tech means nothing to me. Sound is all that matters to me. Now yes I do have some preferences, such as I will not do an all BA set. I need a dd for bass. But other than that, I don't care abut fancy tech in an of itself, I only care about the end result. That is the case for many. Anybody who has been to canjam has had a similar experience - trying new cutting edge tech in IEM's, but you don't like the sound. Just saying that as to me justifying a price point and purchase by mentioning the tech is not something that works at all.

May 8, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #13,767 of 13,883
You guys get your VIP mailer yet ? That is the price I am talking about. But all things in due time.
No, but hopefully it will be a pretty amazing offer! Everyone is reacting - either positively or negatively - to the only number out there. We’ll see in due time as you indicate!

May 8, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #13,768 of 13,883
Dsnuts posted the Voltage in the Mid-fi thread so I assume the special offer is at least below a kilobuck. But it is still going to be too expensive for me :frowning2:
I do hope I can try some nice IEMs with ESTs soon. For now I am first waiting for my SLT6 and second hand Hiby R6 pro II. Let my finances recover for a while :D

May 8, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #13,769 of 13,883
It must be more difficult to price a new product like voltage than to tune such an advanced drivers array.

Penon's marketing must know how to reach its base yet at 1200$ pricing range, at least to me,
competition starts with perceived quality.
Kinera Verdandi which is also all resin convey another level of execution and also pack bone conduction.
Tough battle!

Waiting for your feedbacks on this one.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #13,770 of 13,883
It must be more difficult to price a new product like voltage than to tune such an advanced drivers array.

Penon's marketing must know how to reach its base yet at 1200$ pricing range, at least to me,
competition start with perceived quality.
Kinera Verdandi which is also all resin convey another level of execution and also pack bone conduction.
Tough battle!

Waiting for your feedbacks on this one.
Yup. Aür Audio recently released a tri-brid, with BCDs & switches... under $1k

But to be fair, the Penon VIP email hasn't landed either, so there's that.

Smaller (and medium-sized) companies are definitely stepping up with premium sets & tunings offered at relatively competitive prices... beautiful time to be in the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back