the right headphones?...Denon and Grado lead the way
Jan 31, 2008 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to this audiophile business, but I've stepped into it pretty well so far. My first purchase was the ksc-75, followed by the Denon AH-D2000, and now most recently the Grado SR80. I've tried to get a sampling of the different options out there, but I still don't think I've found the right pair of phones. I'll try to describe what I like and dislike about what I've listened to and perhaps some of you here could steer me in the right direction as to what I'm really looking for.

It's the Denon that I'd like to focus on first. The D2000 sounds quite good. The bass quantity is great, although it could be a little tighter. I have done the markl mods btw (though I still need to put cotton in the cups). I've noticed that I prefer the feel of open headphones compared to the closed Denons. I have tinnitus and the closed cups make the ringing seem louder (of course it's just the noise cancelling effect). That's also why I don't like IEMs. Anyway, the D2000s end up sounding good, but the highs could be clearer (or have more "sparkle" as some say). I've read that recabling them may remedy this. I also noticed that the Denons have a larger soundstage than both the koss and grado headphones, but even the Denons isn't too terribly large. The Grados have a clearer high end but are definitely lacking in soundstage.

So basically here is what I'm looking for--a headphone with:

-Ample bass, not unlike the D2000 but perhaps a little tighter.

-A large soundstage--Denon soundstage is okay, Grado pretty cruddy--I think this characteristic is more important than I initially realized. The larger soundstage the better!

-Nice crystal clear highs--That's what I enojoyed about the SR80--the highs were more prominent (but perhaps a little too prominent) I'd like something in between the Denon and Grado when it comes to highs.

I'd also like to add that my amplifier is a CIAUDIO VHP-2

Thanks for the help folks!

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a dt990? I've not heard one but from what i've read it might be the kind of sound your looking for.

I did have 990. Bass, yes, ample. Highs, yes, more than Denons, but bordering on sibillance. Mids, nowhere near Denons, basically non-existent. Equalized V curve at its best.

My suggestion would be Denon D5000 or perhaps JVC DX1000.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have considered the DT990 and was concerned about shrill highs and the lack of midbass as Lad noted.

In the case of the D5000, I'd rather just recable my D2000. I'm tempted to send them to headphile for a recable and to have Larry open them up with grills. But opening up a closed headphone? Seems blasphemous to some and just downright scary to people on a tight budget like me! (hence my reluctance to grab the JVCs) Although, it does seem to work well with the Beyer cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back