THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 11, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #31 of 809
Random musing and gratitude on a Saturday evening in the PNW-

With the addition of a well-matched preamp to my two-channel system and a plan to buy “one last headphone” in a few months, the ZMF Caldera Closed, and pair it with a lovely Norne Audio cable, I cannot wish for more gear. What I have gives me so much joy.

Yes, I realize it’s a foolish statement. I’ve made a similar comment before. 😂

But looking at what I’m fortunate enough to have in my cabinet and use for hours each week- I never listen to music anymore and think “it just needs a little more [insert inane audiophile term here]”.

I simply choose a pair of headphones, turn on the amp I feel like listening to (or have time to spend with- gotta let those power tubes warm up and quiet down!), and pick the album I want to enjoy.

End of story. And as much as I’ve learned from you all, as much fun as the journey is, it’s a great place to be.

That does mean my posts will likely start sounding like broken records about the virtues of OTL tube amps coupled with R2R ladder DACs and ZMF headphones. And, of course, Norne Audio cables and the magic Trevor Goldman conjures up in his workshop (like Zach and Co do at ZMF, too).

But hey, that gives me more time (and budget) to spend on a steady flow of new albums, artist discoveries, and genres explorations. I’m really, really OK with that.

So- any new and interesting artists with decent- or better recording quality in the genres of rock, pop, folk, funk, jazz, or electronica that any of you all would like to share?

❤️🎶🎧🎶❤️

May 11, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 809
They should make the Aegis modular so I can carry up parts of it and reassemble them upstairs. 60 lbs isn’t easy to carry up 2 flight of stairs.
Wow. Didn’t realize the Aegis weighed that much. Understandable, of course, but DAMN.

May 11, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #33 of 809
So- any new and interesting artists with decent- or better recording quality in the genres of rock, pop, folk, funk, jazz, or electronica that any of you all would like to share?

You had me at "jazz"...

Here is wonderful album I recently discovered. Wonderful trumpeteer and pianist are Australian musicians James Morrison and Joe Chindamo, respecitvely, beautifully playing many classic jazz standards. The trumpet is espeically wonderful to my ears:

1715483984408.png

May 11, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 809
You had me at "jazz"...

Here is wonderful album I recently discovered. Wonderful trumpeteer and pianist are Australian musicians James Morrison and Joe Chindamo, respecitvely, beautifully playing many classic jazz standards. The trumpet is espeically wonderful to my ears:

1715483984408.png
Oooooh! Thank you! Will search on HDTracks.

I tend to buy all my music (yeah, I know, old school). Someday I may get a Roon-based streamer, but I usually find new artists via KEXP.org, a WONDERFUL indie radio/streaming station here in Seattle.

Highly, highly recommended. DJ John Richards in particular is outstanding (and funny as heck), but many of the other DJs are wonderful also.

May 11, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #36 of 809
wishing all the best for this thread, @goldwerger!

will add some random thoughts from me.

The MSB Select 2 dac really spoiled everything for me. I find myself thinking about it a lot LOL. perhaps in another life. if you guys have a chance to try one, please do. it sounds so natural and organic.

still very curious about Lampizator, in particular the Atlantic TRP3; have always been keen to try a tube dac and the price is palatable compared to their higher end models. my dealer friend can get it but he seems to be advising against it; something about build quality and the uncertainty and reliability of tube dacs.

still very curious about Totaldac. have heard and read they have a lush and rich sound signature. checked their website and seems they've recently released a D1-Biunity, sitting between the unity and triunity. somewhat odd looking chassis/case is really holding me back...

keen to try a better passive preamp. bought a cheap sub 100 buck one off amazon and it did the job. so am wondering what higher end passive preamps will offer. am in touch with Tim from Axiom for one of his Luminous preamps with walker mod. thereafter maybe a Music First Audio preamp if I like how the Axiom one sounds.

anyways here is a pic of one of my favourite headphones..

20240329145550_0N1A2278-01-01.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 809
May 11, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #38 of 809
You had me at "jazz"...

1715483984408.png
Oh, and the least I can do is reciprocate with a gem of a jazz drummer- Matt Jorgensen, who has led a band called “+451” (perhaps a Ray Bradbury reference?).

Matt’s recordings on Origin Records are excellent- both sonically and creatively.

May 11, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #39 of 809
The MSB Select 2 dac really spoiled everything for me. I find myself thinking about it a lot LOL. perhaps in another life. if you guys have a chance to try one, please do. it sounds so natural and organic.

wonderful to have you!

@warrenpchi keeps singing the praise of MSB dacs. I must say I'm afraid to try them exactly for the reason you mention 🤣 Your feedback seems very consistent with what I've been hearing!! I'll have to walk into a local dealer one day and have a real listen.

Oh, and the least I can do is reciprocate with a gem of a jazz drummer- Matt Jorgensen, who has led a band called “+451” (perhaps a Ray Bradbury reference?).

Matt’s recordings on Origin Records are excellent- both sonically and creatively.

Never heard of him.. thanks, will check him out!

As equally, if not more so, impactful is the music. There are likely some late comers who are unaware of TACET releases that utilize tube recording equipment. https://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=ne&filename=welcome.php. A number of them can be streamed via Qobuz. I've particularly enjoyed the "tube only" series.

Long time ago I added one of their classical recordsings below to my favorites, but forgot about them. Thanks for the link, will revisit!

1715485108406.png

May 11, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 809
wishing all the best for this thread, @goldwerger!

will add some random thoughts from me.

still very curious about Lampizator, in particular the Atlantic TRP3; have always been keen to try a tube dac and the price is palatable compared to their higher end models. my dealer friend can get it but he seems to be advising against it; something about build quality and the uncertainty and reliability of tube dacs.

still very curious about Totaldac. have heard and read they have a lush and rich sound signature. checked their website and seems they've recently released a D1-Biunity, sitting between the unity and triunity. somewhat odd looking chassis/case is really holding me back...

keen to try a better passive preamp. bought a cheap sub 100 buck one off amazon and it did the job. so am wondering what higher end passive preamps will offer. am in touch with Tim from Axiom for one of his Luminous preamps with walker mod. thereafter maybe a Music First Audio preamp if I like how the Axiom one sounds.

anyways here is a pic of one of my favourite headphones..

20240329145550_0N1A2278-01-01.jpeg
GAVIN!

Welcome! 🎉🍾🙌

On the topic of preamps- I had the base-level Axiom with an Odyssey Kismet (stereo build, not mono blocks), and it was great.

A $250 USD passive preamp with a $3,500 USD power amp that can go toe-to-toe with $5,000 power amps? (Yes, Klaus Bunge’s gear is that good)

It was excellent- and the Walker Mod version is supposed to be far better.

Enjoy!

May 11, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #41 of 809
I was out and out headphone guy till I heard FiR Xenon 6 on Walkman in CanJam last year and now I don’t know which camp I belong to.
But still rocking below system minus Holo Bliss
IMG_2097.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #42 of 809
May 11, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #43 of 809
wassup, Gs?

May 11, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #44 of 809
Why not both?! 😄🤷‍♂️
Haha…bringing 2ch in the mix as well and It gets really tough on wallet. I guess I will be in both camp. I mean I can’t let go of my ZMFs and Sonnet DAC… they just work for me and so do XE6 and Singularity with Walkman.

May 11, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #45 of 809
I was out and out headphone guy till I heard FiR Xenon 6 on Walkman in CanJam last year and now I don’t know which camp I belong to.
But still rocking below system minus Holo Bliss

We're all in the same camp.. the more ways we can enjoy music the better..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back