THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 17, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #526 of 1,068
May 17, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #527 of 1,068
Stopped listening to closed-backs when I realized that like IEMs, they aggravate my tinnitus. I do make an exception when I’m in an airplane, and I’ll break out the Beyer t5p v2 (not that they’re my favorite closed-back, but they’re the one I have - a holdover from days as a micro-headphone-dealer).

It was quitting the IEMs that always had me looking at the original Watercooler thread thinking, “Those guys have all the fun.” So thanks for starting up this thread!
I also abandoned closed backs for similar reasons (primarily, migraine; secondarily, tinnitus). That meant selling my Eikon, a sad day. That was a mind-blowing headphone. Not without its little flaws, but great sound.

Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to sell the Ori. Now I'm very glad I didn't. Love that headphone to pieces--more to the point, I realized CB planars don't aggravate my ears/head as much as CB dynamics. Probably something to do with planars' lower distortion, black background, and different type of note propagation (just guessing).

I'm listening on & off to the loaner Caldera Closed, which like the Caldera Open is very impressive. I'm being careful with it. So far, so good.

Heard the Atrium Closed a couple times at CanJam. Now, there's a lovely sound.

May 17, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #528 of 1,068
Looks nice, would love to try it out someday. But the price is too high imo, especially because of shipping and customs on top. I paid 300 Euros for my HD 600, brand new, with two year-warranty.

For now I'll wait for the OAE1 (and hope customs won't make me pay again for it)
$$ is a factor, no doubt.

I reviewed Jupiter Lee's reimagining of the HD650 several years ago, comparing it to a stock HD650, which I hadn't heard until then. I liked the stock model a lot, but the JAR650 was on an entirely different level. The man really knows what he's doing.

May 17, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #529 of 1,068
Would love to learn what are others’ favorite closed back headphones are..
I have to say the one-two punch of the Verité Closed and Atrium Closed is a wonderful combo. My plan to buy the Caldera Closed to complete a ZMF “Holy Trinity” is pure hedonism and over the top, but I’m doing it anyway…

I’ve been fortunate enough to own the Audeze LCD-XC, Focal Radiance, and Focal Stellia, and the ZMFs are simply a better fit with my taste in sound.

As a bonus, the dynamic-driver ZMFs are (of course) ridiculously good with tubes, and OTL-based tube amps in particular.

I would love to try the Sony Z1R and DCA Expanse of the other top-flight closed-backs out there, but I am skeptical they’d make me any happier than the ZMFs.

(And I love my Eikon too- @Pharmaboy is right, that’s a great headphone as well)

May 17, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #530 of 1,068
May 17, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #531 of 1,068
Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #533 of 1,068
Frankie,
Couple quick clarifications:
  1. Song MDR-R10 (not Z1R)
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-L5000 with ZMF Universe Lambskin Solid pads - see detail
  3. I love the Atrium Closed. They are utterly unique and special.
The above are 3 very unique closed backs with different unique attributes. Notably, respectively:
  1. The most open sounding closed back, with incredible timbre
  2. The most neutral and fast/crisp closed backs
  3. The best sub-bass and bass (for me, of any headphones)
All to my subjective taste. No absolutes. My ears your ears, etc…

Btw, I’m demo-ing now the new Caldera Closed and they are very special.

Bass Light or Bass Heavy version of R10?

May 17, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #534 of 1,068
Another surprisingly good (or maybe not surprising) was the WOO Tube Mini with the AC. I still may yet pick up a Tube Mini...tempting...

But DC Elite tho... :smile:

May 17, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #535 of 1,068
May 17, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #537 of 1,068
Bokeh, for being very compatible and portable with several amps and DAPs. So nice to bring along the ZMF dynamic sound on the go if I wish.
Honorable Mention: DCA Ether CX, these are super comfortable, very resolving and make vocals sound excellent. However, the bass is light and they tend to be more like studio monitors.
Stopped listening to closed-backs when I realized that like IEMs, they aggravate my tinnitus. I do make an exception when I’m in an airplane, and I’ll break out the Beyer t5p v2 (not that they’re my favorite closed-back, but they’re the one I have - a holdover from days as a micro-headphone-dealer).
I also abandoned closed backs for similar reasons (primarily, migraine; secondarily, tinnitus). That meant selling my Eikon, a sad day. That was a mind-blowing headphone. Not without its little flaws, but great sound.
Yeah, I get the ear-ringing more noticeably with closed-backs. Too much hazardous occupational noise over the years.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #538 of 1,068
Another surprisingly good (or maybe not surprising) was the WOO Tube Mini with the AC. I still may yet pick up a Tube Mini...tempting...

Definitely a tiny unit that packs a tube punch :wink: It’s main use case is stationary, the accompanying stand it comes with is cool!

Bass Light or Bass Heavy version of R10?

Mine is bass light (though when plugged into AIC10 recently, with Millard tube, is has ton of bass, so seems like a misnomer; I.e. depends on chain).

When I listened to Ray Samuel’s bass heavy, they sounded quite similar. But didn’t have them side by side to truly know.

I did not know there were 2 versions. Please let me know both ( though I usually like good tight bass, not lacking in bass ).

Frankie, this is with regards to the vintage headphone MDR-R10 (which was around 30+ years ago and rare these days).

The MDR-Z1R is the current Sony closed-back (well, it was released nearly a decade ago, but still made today as it’s current top closed back); that one has a single version.

Bokeh, for being very compatible and portable with several amps and DAPs. So nice to bring along the ZMF dynamic sound on the go if I wish.

Amazing value to price, packing the ZMF punch in an incredible form factor and easy load!

May 18, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #539 of 1,068

I may actually list my Tube Mini sometime soon. I love the unit but I'm not giving it the attention it deserves and I don't really want to get the stand at this time.

May 18, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #540 of 1,068

It was quitting the IEMs that always had me looking at the original Watercooler thread thinking, “Those guys have all the fun.” So thanks for starting up this thread!
Interesting, I was concerned that IEM's would worsen my tinnitus but have found that as long as they are vented and I keep volume reasonable, they do not. I do stay away from closed back over-ears though except for the Bathys wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back