THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 20, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #661 of 1,108
Without having heard the Noire, I'd generally concur on this assessment of the Stealth. It's remarkably resolving. That, plus the fact that it's a closed back and folds up, makes it a great HP to take to CanJam to test out amps and DACs, etc. It makes a great travel HP with a decent portable source and amp to drive it, too (though it's even passable with an iFi Go Blu for me). But it's less engaging than my other HPs.
The Stealth, and really all of the DCAs, is a headphone that I wish I liked more than I do. The design is very clever and very practical. The build quality is beyond reproach. I can hear that it's very neutral and extremely detailed - on par with estats to my ears, but I don't find it enjoyable. And it gets less enjoyable the longer I listen to it, as the perceived dullness of the sound gets more and more irritating to me. So it's just not for me.

I am still curious to try the E3 though. I've heard that it's more dynamic than the previous generation of DCA headphones, and it measures with more energy in the upper treble than the Stealth, so hopefully it is better in dynamics and air.

May 20, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #662 of 1,108
I would like the Susvara 2 to bring more of the Shang SR performance, particularly in the mids. I liked the Rhapsodio Supreme MK3 mids a lot, would like to see Susvara 2 move in that direction for the mid layering performance.
Yeah, Susvara sounds like the last word in resolution... until you listen to a top-class estat or ribbon. Given that planar drivers will probably always have more mass, it's not clear to me that they will ever quite catch up in that department. OTOH, I don't need ultimate resolution to truly enjoy music. Realistic timbre is my #1 priority, and the Susvara delivers that in spades, whilst being well above average at everything else.

The Caldera and Solitaire P have better bass performance (IMO) than does Susvara, but both have distracting frequency response quirks that aren't present with the HFM. The Soli P was also really uncomfortable to wear for me, which is an immediate deal-breaker.

May 20, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #663 of 1,108
I wish sus 2 will be a closed back version of og sus so we can still enjoy in some noisy environment .Og is the best open back ever and no need to upgrade anything. Upgrade to a High end amp and dac will make it better and better.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #664 of 1,108
The Stealth, and really all of the DCAs, is a headphone that I wish I liked more than I do. The design is very clever and very practical. The build quality is beyond reproach. I can hear that it's very neutral and extremely detailed - on par with estats to my ears, but I don't find it enjoyable. And it gets less enjoyable the longer I listen to it, as the perceived dullness of the sound gets more and more irritating to me. So it's just not for me.

I am still curious to try the E3 though. I've heard that it's more dynamic than the previous generation of DCA headphones, and it measures with more energy in the upper treble than the Stealth, so hopefully it is better in dynamics and air.
E3 is better in dynamics but worse in air than Stealth to my ears. Also, E3 has less refinement in the upper mids so it's more "energetically raw" but in an engaging manner

May 20, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #665 of 1,108
I wish sus 2 will be a closed back version of og sus so we can still enjoy in some noisy environment in . Og is the best open back ever and no need to upgrade anything. Upgrade to a High end amp and dac will make it better and better.

That'll be a very monumental task to tune, but with a couple of years, we'll get the release version eventually

May 20, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #666 of 1,108
I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on the DCA Stealth. I can possibly get it for a really good price and was previously a fan of the noire, it was just too bright. I listen to a lot of electronic music. Thanks!
Personally I enjoy them as a totally different experience from all my other headphones which are warmer. Haven't heard the noire except maybe a very brief listen at a show. I certainly wouldn't recommend a blind buy and not having heard the E3, what I've read about it makes me suspect I'd prefer that. I got mine used a little over $2k and wouldn't have paid more than that even if it were new. I get the critique about lack of dynamics and I do tend to listen more loudly on them to get them sounding more alive. They can also come across a bit bass-lite, but placement and time to warm and mold to the face helps. They also respond well to EQ, which I use to boost the sub and mid-bass some and I don't bother with EQ on anything else. Stage isn't wide. All that said, when my brain adjusts I enjoy the overall tonality and they have a clarity like an e-stat, are pretty light and comfortable. But primarily for electronic music I'm not sure they're what I'd recommend as I prefer more a more weighty sound and mid-bass in my electronic music.

May 20, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #667 of 1,108
I wish sus 2 will be a closed back version of og sus so we can still enjoy in some noisy environment .Og is the best open back ever and no need to upgrade anything. Upgrade to a High end amp and dac will make it better and better.
I personally use both open and closed headphones.
Having said that, HiFiMAN's open backs are much better (to my taste and preferences) than their closed back... 🤷‍♂️

May 20, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #668 of 1,108
Some rumors have been circulating about a successor to Susvara :scream:

More info just got.. rumor is $8,000 MSRP

(Top end is skyrocketing these days...🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️)

May 20, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #669 of 1,108
Hifiman Event is coming, June 3 2024. :eyes:

1716236724050.png

1716236901312.png

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #670 of 1,108
More info just got.. rumor is $8,000 MSRP

(Top end is skyrocketing these days...🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️)
I wonder if that means Susvara OG dropping to $3,000? :wink:
That means used Susvara at $2,000? Hmmm..... :thinking:

May 20, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #671 of 1,108
Are these pictures of a store shelf? :relaxed:
I know. Lol someone said that to me before. It looks like a salesmen rack or being at a vintage HIFI store. It is a little over 5 ft long. 🙃
One day I may change it. I know it looks a little dated. ✌️

May 20, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #672 of 1,108

That's exactly where I am at with DCA.
Yeah, Susvara sounds like the last word in resolution... until you listen to a top-class estat or ribbon. Given that planar drivers will probably always have more mass, it's not clear to me that they will ever quite catch up in that department. OTOH, I don't need ultimate resolution to truly enjoy music. Realistic timbre is my #1 priority, and the Susvara delivers that in spades, whilst being well above average at everything else.

The Caldera and Solitaire P have better bass performance (IMO) than does Susvara, but both have distracting frequency response quirks that aren't present with the HFM. The Soli P was also really uncomfortable to wear for me, which is an immediate deal-breaker.
I tried the Carbon and some better Stax estats, and while the speed, detail, resolution is impressive, they really didn't float my boat. I was missing the body, weight, impact, 'substance' of good planars.

May 20, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #673 of 1,108
I tried the Carbon and some better Stax estats, and while the speed, detail, resolution is impressive, they really didn't float my boat. I was missing the body, weight, impact, 'substance' of good planars.
Yep, estats are well-known to lack bass impact relative to planars, although the Warwick Acoustics offerings and Sennheiser HE-1 do bridge the gap to varying degrees. Enter the new Raal 1995 cans, which combine estat resolution with bass on par with the best planars... per early user reports, anyway. My limited audition at CanJam NYC seemed to corroborate that assessment, but I'm hoping to get a home trial in the near future.

May 20, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #674 of 1,108
Yep, estats are well-known to lack bass impact relative to planars, although the Warwick Acoustics offerings and Sennheiser HE-1 do bridge the gap to varying degrees. Enter the new Raal 1995 cans, which combine estat resolution with bass on par with the best planars... per early user reports, anyway. My limited audition at CanJam NYC seemed to corroborate that assessment, but I'm hoping to get a home trial in the near future.
Yepp, HE-1 was certainly different in a good way. :) I have no experience with Warwick or the two new Raals, but these are out of reach for most hobbyists anyway.

May 20, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #675 of 1,108
I know there has been some talk about Closed-back headphones lately on here and I gotta say I think the LCD XC (when EQ’d) is a really exceptional headphone. Its technical performance is quite incredible, but the biggest drawback maybe for many is that you really do have to EQ them. I wondered for years now why Audeze hasn’t made a true successor to the XC in the closed back department. Now I do know why and that is because they take to Equalization so well, especially in the analog domain.
I’ve had the LCD XC for about 6 years now and last year I got a Schiit Loki Mini + and when properly EQ’d these are gonna be hard headphone to beat for me in the closed back department. I’m absolutely dying to try the the Caldera Closed. I think that will be a nice competition. Anyway. I don’t think people should count out the XC. It is actually really freaking good, but again it is unfortunate the headphone has to be tethered to an EQ source. I know some may not be happy about that but the performance you get for 1199.99 USD retail? Incredible. Just incredible. The bass slam is truly sky cracking.
So far I like these level settings with the LOKI mini+. The mids and bass is what truly needs fixing with the XC’s stock tuning. I find the treble is actually sensational and I don’t even touch it.
Just my 2 cents but if people want a high performing closed back at a sane price I the XC is a great way to go. I know the weight can be an issue, so if you can try before you buy that would be ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8058.jpeg
    IMG_8058.jpeg
    809.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back