The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #88,171 of 88,183
I think you are actually taking this thread WAY too personal. So unnessecarily rude and resentful, these posts of yours. Just let it go.

I didn't even post my tiny comment and part joke about flexing IN THIS THREAD and you are talking to me? Someone came into a different thread and quoted me and got really personal said I had nothing in my life to flex. I mean they've shown who they are before so I wasn't surprised. Then other people quoted me from that thread in here. I didn't bring the rudeness into this thread either, whether this last post that got brought up, to being insulted personally months back for no reason. When I just joked about a price point. You should look in the mirror and post to them, not me.

Be better bro! Or something.

So how do you feel about the Legend X?
I've read some contentious responses from you, and in almost every one, you keep saying everyone is taking your comments too personally.

Did you ever stop to think that after the first, second or third time you said that, maybe it was time to look inward and ask what you are doing to perhaps elicit those personal feelings?

It's really a rhetorical question. No need to answer.
I did. I got insulted personally by a few people for merely posting a quip about the price of an IEM that was not personal at all. Then I got attacked for defending myself. Then I posted a very harmless one line joke in the 64 audio thread the other day, and one of the worst people here went out of their way to post in that thread and personally attack me, again! I think that's pretty ****ing unstable. Amazing stuff. And you blame me? I'm just exposing a few select rotten apples is all.

Do you ever feel you should have the facts before you spout off something?

Just a rhetorical question, because I know the answer is no.

May 2, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #88,172 of 88,183
I didn't even post my tiny comment and part joke about flexing IN THIS THREAD and you are talking to me? Someone came into a different thread and quoted me and got really personal said I had nothing in my life to flex. I mean they've shown who they are before so I wasn't surprised. Then other people quoted me from that thread in here. I didn't bring the rudeness into this thread either, whether this last post that got brought up, to being insulted personally months back for no reason. When I just joked about a price point. You should look in the mirror and post to them, not me.

Be better bro! Or something.

So how do you feel about the Legend X?

I did. I got insulted personally by a few people for merely posting a quip about the price of an IEM that was not personal at all. Then I got attacked for defending myself. Then I posted a very harmless one line joke in the 64 audio thread the other day, and one of the worst people here went out of their way to post in that thread and personally attack me, again! I think that's pretty ****ing unstable. Amazing stuff. And you blame me? I'm just exposing a few select rotten apples is all.

Do you ever feel you should have the facts before you spout off something?

Just a rhetorical question, because I know the answer is no.
I think it is because you are very rude. :) Cheers!

May 2, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #88,173 of 88,183
2024 highlights...ie., flex.

502E32AF-52C5-480D-9BEF-373216B62E4F.JPEG

Listening now to the Perpetua on the SP3000T. These IEMs have just the sweetest, most wonderful timbre. Really, really love them.

I've heard that, in China, they have their own audiophile lexicon - and that it can be indecipherable.

12367403.jpg

Every time I see girls rise to the ski, I have flowers in my throat. That's just a fact.

May 2, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #88,174 of 88,183
Just wanted to drop some impressions on a relatively unsung product, the Questyle CMA18P, but damn, it sings. :)

PXL_20240429_173322949.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240430_065739105~2.jpg

PXL_20240429_172422009~2.jpg

Spec Highlights:
  • AKM 4493SEQ (departure from the ESS sabre chip used in the M12 and M15)
  • Equipped with four sets of patented PCT-class current-mode SiP chips.
  • Peak power of 1W @32 ohms. Questyle uses bespoke current mode amplification, so power figure numbers differ from traditional amplifiers.
  • Supports up to PCM768kHz/32bit and DSD512 playback. Questyle, interestingly, has dropped MQA support this time.
Price: $699

Connectivity Options and features:
  • USB-C, Optical/TOSlink, and Bluetooth inputs (aptX-HD + LDAC)
  • Vinyl to Digital recording function
  • 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs and line outs.

Looks-wise, the CMA18P is compact and its outer body features sandblasted aviation-grade aluminum surfaces with silver high-gloss buttons and side panels. It has custom corning glass coatings on both front and back panels. The transparent front panel highlights the PCB in an aquarium-like effect, which is quite pleasing to the eye.

Now to come to sound, the CMA18P surprised me with how "analog" it sounds. I hate starting a sound section discussion with such a trite and oft-discussed term but I honestly can't think of any other word to best encapsulate its sonic profile. There is no perceptible digital sheen anywhere in the frequency spectrum. The bass sounds full, tight, detailed; the midrange is rich and ever-so-slightly warm; and the treble is beautiful in its presence and sophistication.

First time I heard this, right after listening to my prized Sony WM1ZM2, it actually sounded like a mini-ZM2. Kid you not. Even my partner-in-rhyme, @BonGoBiLai, noticed the similarities in presentation with some obvious differences like the ZM2's unrivaled soundstage width. That being said, the CMA18P is the widest sounding portable DAC AMP in the sub-$1000 price class that I have heard. It easily beats for width as well as balanced and natural tonality, DAPs like the iBasso DX260 (I own one; review forthcoming) and devices such as the Gryphon; Mojo 2; and the iFi Diablo.

Resolution-wise, it is pretty much the same level as the Diablo and touch above the Gryphon and Mojo 2.

It does have a con though, and it's the fact that the corning glass is slippery to hold. It bothered me very initially but not so much, anymore.

PXL_20240429_173201086~2.jpg

I do want to mention that that 1 Watt output power rating is misleading because unlike iFi, whose power ratings promise more than they deliver; Questyle tends to go the opposite way. The CMA18P has driven all my headphones other than the Susvara, beautifully. The Utopia 2022 and the Empyrean II sound beautiful on it, as does the HD650. I really liked the HD650 synergy with the CMA18P as its soundstage opens up a bit more and the overall experience sounds more hifi! Another trite expression but I wanted to risk using it because it is worth a bit of hype.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #88,175 of 88,183
I know that digesting our terms is not a super exciting thing to do, but it might not be a bad idea for everybody to just review some of the basics:

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.32.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.31.50 PM.png

I mean this is the internet and any random person can post here

Actually, that's not technically true. Registrations are subject to approval, and posting privileges can be revoked at any time. Yes, lol, I'm being a bit pedantic here :smile: but just noting that not any rando can post here. Only some randos.

But it's funny, by merely pointing out the very basic fact

"The watercooler thread is for those that want to flex." I'm not entirely sure that is established fact. An observation? Sure. An opinion? I would agree with that. A fact? I would consider that to be a bit of a stretch.

made a little joke about that, and I did that in a quick quip way and in a totally different thread even.
I didn't even post my tiny comment and part joke about flexing IN THIS THREAD and you are talking to me?
I didn't bring the rudeness into this thread either

The real life equivalent of surreptitiously making a quip about others is talking about them behind their backs. I'm not sure why you consider that appropriate behavior. As for your assertion that it was a joke: humor can be quite complex, and is in no way universal, but I think you have enough evidence (in the form of the replies you received) that many people did not consider your comments funny.

I mean christ, talk about a few uptight mother****ers.

That is a pretty decent example of what our terms do not allow for. Given all that has transpired, and that thread disruptions continue to happen, even after multiple rounds of moderation, it's probably best that you don't post in this thread any further - effective immediately.

A note to everybody in this thread: Please DO NOT reply to, address, or post about PixelSquish here as he is no longer able to post in this thread. Doing so would be very rude - as he cannot respond - and I will summarily delete any such posts.

May 2, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #88,176 of 88,183
Aroma Jewel in the house!

In the picture, I'm using the PlusSound 8-wire Silver+Gold, but I've rolled over to the EA Thor +

Also using SpiralDot tips. They've always been my best bet.

First impressions:

Natural-neutral tuning. Tuning which feels honest but not FLAT. Wide, open sound, with lots of air and clarity.

Treble is decisive, with outstanding articulation, but definitely relaxed. I don't foresee anyone becoming fatigued by it. If you're a treble head, these COULD satisfy, but you'd probably want just a little more of it.

Vocals are close enough to you with decent size, being well resolved and textured modestly. They nicely walk the line between airiness and weight. They could be more tangible, but the hint of etherealness is quite seductive, as well.

If airiness isn't the star of the show, it's got to be the bass. It's deep and punchy and very capable. There's more of it than you might expect, but it's not crazy or overblown. It's clearly elevated, but it a way which feels natural, making you think there absolutely should be this much in the mix. In fact, if there was any less of it, Jewel's balance would feel lacking.

The reason for this is Jewel is kind of a boring IEM. But in the best possible way. Nothing jumps out at you. Everything is so coherent and balanced, and delivers it with exceptional maturity. Even the bass, which does stand out, does so barely, and in way that just feels right, not noteworthy.

I think someone on here (can't remember who) said you need to crank the volume on Jewel, and they were right. You won't fatigue. There's nothing offensive here. And raising the dB allows the deft tuning to shine.

I am loving what I'm hearing. So far, Jewel is very much the type of IEM I was looking for. A great complement to something like the Legend X, which is all about the fun and bombastic. Jewel is the bookworm, who knows everything and might just share it with you, if you are patient and willing to listen.

Shout out to Andrew of @MusicTeck for loaning me the Aroma Audio Jewel. I look forward to spending more time with them and writing my full review.
Yes, I have always written that the Jewel must be heard at medium / high volume, to show its extraordinary potential. He needs power
These days I'm using it with my Sony WM1ZM2 and Orpheus, and the sound he can give me is simply incredible, so natural, analogue and with that tube-style warmth 😍

May 2, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #88,177 of 88,183
is it bad what whenever I see “Aroma audio”, my brain automatically substitutes that for “smelly sound”

Like how it automatically substitutes FatFREQ for Fat F… :beyersmile:

Or AFUL for Awful.

May 2, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #88,178 of 88,183
is it bad what whenever I see “Aroma audio”, my brain automatically substitutes that for “smelly sound”

Like how it automatically substitutes FatFREQ for Fat F… :beyersmile:

Or AFUL for Awful.
I always refer to a certain IEM as Areola Trailer so you’re not too far off with poor substitutes

May 2, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #88,179 of 88,183
Or AFUL for Awful.

So much this! :smile:

I always refer to a certain IEM as Areola Trailer so you’re not too far off with poor substitutes

Ugh, I can't unsee that!! 😭

Here's a fun one. I think that non-Chinese speakers tend to look at Chinese transcriptions at phonetic face value, because of course they would without knowing what those words are. But given that English has no intonation marks, looking at these transcriptions are often somewhat cryptic for Chinese speakers as well. For example, looking Fei Wan, but not given any pronunciation hints, here are some possibilities (in Mandarin):

Fei​
Wan​
Fly
Fat
Useless
(or unnecessary)
Lung​
Bend
Play
Bowl
Late -or- Tardy
10,000​

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #88,180 of 88,183
Just wanted to drop some impressions on a relatively unsung product, the Questyle CMA18P, but damn, it sings. :)

PXL_20240429_173322949.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240430_065739105~2.jpg

PXL_20240429_172422009~2.jpg

Spec Highlights:
  • AKM 4493SEQ (departure from the ESS sabre chip used in the M12 and M15)
  • Equipped with four sets of patented PCT-class current-mode SiP chips.
  • Peak power of 1W @32 ohms. Questyle uses bespoke current mode amplification, so power figure numbers differ from traditional amplifiers.
  • Supports up to PCM768kHz/32bit and DSD512 playback. Questyle, interestingly, has dropped MQA support this time.
Price: $699

Connectivity Options and features:
  • USB-C, Optical/TOSlink, and Bluetooth inputs (aptX-HD + LDAC)
  • Vinyl to Digital recording function
  • 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs and line outs.

Looks-wise, the CMA18P is compact and its outer body features sandblasted aviation-grade aluminum surfaces with silver high-gloss buttons and side panels. It has custom corning glass coatings on both front and back panels. The transparent front panel highlights the PCB in an aquarium-like effect, which is quite pleasing to the eye.

Now to come to sound, the CMA18P surprised me with how "analog" it sounds. I hate starting a sound section discussion with such a trite and oft-discussed term but I honestly can't think of any other word to best encapsulate its sonic profile. There is no perceptible digital sheen anywhere in the frequency spectrum. The bass sounds full, tight, detailed; the midrange is rich and ever-so-slightly warm; and the treble is beautiful in its presence and sophistication.

First time I heard this, right after listening to my prized Sony WM1ZM2, it actually sounded like a mini-ZM2. Kid you not. Even my partner-in-rhyme, @BonGoBiLai, noticed the similarities in presentation with some obvious differences like the ZM2's unrivaled soundstage width. That being said, the CMA18P is the widest sounding portable DAC AMP in the sub-$1000 price class that I have heard. It easily beats for width as well as balanced and natural tonality, DAPs like the iBasso DX260 (I own one; review forthcoming) and devices such as the Gryphon; Mojo 2; and the iFi Diablo.

Resolution-wise, it is pretty much the same level as the Diablo and touch above the Gryphon and Mojo 2.

It does have a con though, and it's the fact that the corning glass is slippery to hold. It bothered me very initially but not so much, anymore.

PXL_20240429_173201086~2.jpg

I do want to mention that that 1 Watt output power rating is misleading because unlike iFi, whose power ratings promise more than they deliver; Questyle tends to go the opposite way. The CMA18P has driven all my headphones other than the Susvara, beautifully. The Utopia 2022 and the Empyrean II sound beautiful on it, as does the HD650. I really liked the HD650 synergy with the CMA18P as its soundstage opens up a bit more and the overall experience sounds more hifi! Another trite expression but I wanted to risk using it because it is worth a bit of hype.
And I was just hesitating to buy one, thank you very much for your feedback ! I'm now a 100% sure :beyersmile:.

May 2, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #88,181 of 88,183
2024 highlights...ie., flex.

2024 highlights - 4 of my favourite sets 🤤

In slightly following the theme and my buddy @Crazeee here are the purchases for 2024, of which each has a story with some more significant than others.

Viking Ragnar: I kept hearing @Delitia talking about how this is one of his favorite iems, especially when it's paired with the centurion. I respect his reviews and opinions even if I may not always agree with them. So I demo'd this to try to better understand where he is coming from and I had not heard a Noble iem since I owned the Kaiser Encore in 2016. To my surprise, the centurion does such an amazing job to control the treble and delivers a stunning reproduction of high notes from female singers. The song that sold me on this was an opera performed by Anna Netrebko. You don't have to like opera, but if you can listen to a track on the album "Amata dalle Tenebre", it is an incredible experience. This led me to the purchase and see if it lasts >1yr, which may tempt me to get a prestige version.

Mason FS ST: The UM AP was my introduction to uber crazy SummitFi iems, so I was curious what another UM wacko $ iem could sound like. I purchase this as iem only (thank you Andrew @ MusicTeck) since I had quite a few cables to pick from. No matter what I tried, I could not find the perfect sound and re-read reviews from @twister6 to see what I was missing. It turns out the bundled PWA FTS Pro is in fact the perfect pairing for it and sat in the middle between what I heard on the orpheus and shiro 8w. I spent weeks listening, but was not convinced it was worth keeping.... until I heard it off the P6P Ti. This ended up being my iem of choice that kept me company on a 3w trip to japan. Incredible mid range focused iem without sacrificing resolution / transparency when it's paired with the right source. P6P Ti being my favorite, and then Mjolinr. On a side note, this was probably the most over the top and incredible experience to unbox. It was a good thing I did it after my wife went to sleep, or she might have thought I was hiding a gift for her based on the packaging and bag. Beautiful IEM!

Trailli: The one that started it all in the SummitFi IEM! I know people love it, but the bird has never been my first pick. BUT when I do put it in my ears, I can't seem to take it out. It has a lot of history and I loved the cherry blossom design that was floating around on this site. Through months of discussion with @tone.texture.soul, he was kind enough to consider selling it to me. It still doesn't get much use, but it is a reference point and it will be hard to find another iem in it's size with it's sound.

Creator: This was a frustrating IEM! The week before my 3w japan trip, I had planned to stay up later to help adjust quicker to the japan timezone. Several guys (ahem @RonaldS86) kept raving about this thing that was creator / DC Ti. This is the TOTL iem from FitEar that is made of titanium and midrange focused with a smokey intimate sound. After several conversations, I was set to demo this at e-earphone and possibly purchase it. The song that sold me on it was Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven with how it reproduced Clapton's voice and guitar strums with character that is the opposite of smooth. I was sold! I had to have it! But wait.... apparently this is only available as a CIEM in japan AND it is only available to residents in japan. There is no way around it! They will not even allow you get an ear mold at e-earphone or a suyama hearing aid shop if you are not a resident. How do I know? I tried and was turned down at two locations. I went to sleep several nights during that trip thinking about what I had heard and how none of my IEMS gave me that same sound. Long story short, Jaben HK overnighted a creator to me in Kyoto and I was able to bring it home. Now I am on a mission to find a cable pairing that I like with it. Current ones will be Beat Oslo, DHC custom silver, Chang's silver cable that was raved about at SG CJ, and hopefully @Crazeee's friends cable. If you listen to acoustics, jazz, or vocals... This is an IEM you must demo!

Fei Wan: Exciting IEM that I can see keeping around as a general purpose for all genres, which led me to get a custom universal. This is a graphic I had used on a CIEM a18s that I don't listen to anymore. The main reason I kept it around was for the graphic. I can finally let it go! Not much to say here that hasn't already been reviewed to death by many people. The only comment I will add is Nightjar BlueHour cable is such a match made in heaven for it. Thanks @aaf evo for that introduction.

There you have it! As we approach the middle of 2024, this is where I am. I could be wrong, but these are the IEMS that I would like to keep as I enter 2025.

IMG_5016.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #88,182 of 88,183
May 2, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #88,183 of 88,183
Just been doing some pondering about the whole 'reproducing the live experience' thing with audio gear.

Decibel levels at an average live event regularly hit 100dB. At a rave or EDM concert, up to 120dB. There's just no way we're recreating anything approaching the live experience at low volumes.

That's why when I test for reviews, I regularly listen loud (or at least louder than normal) but for brief periods (always be mindful of ear health), because low volume listening isn't really telling me anything about the maximum performance of an IEM and other parts of the chain.

How loud do you listen to music, especially for shorter (1-2 album) sessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back