The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 1, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #88,111 of 89,431
In case anybody is eying (or earing rather) a Bellos X4, apparently there's a decent sale going on?

1714612696790.png

May 1, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #88,113 of 89,431
Just received the Moondrop phone.

Will need to test it tomorrow as I have to install certain items to get up to par

PXL_20240502_013502968.jpgPXL_20240502_014040158.jpgPXL_20240502_013518885.jpg
Quick Update, for those thinking on buying:

This is an Android phone for mainland China as such:

A) You cannot use Google Playstore, you have to install Aurora Store or Amazon App Store.

B) Uninstall bloatware , typical for Chinese ROMs

C) Replace UC Browser, with something else like Vivaldi , Firefox or another browser that is allowed in China

D) Once that is done you can install all your preferred apps

E) In order to use Gmail install a different email app like Outlook and use that for your Gmail account

F) Hiby Music is preinstalled and you will find all settings to manage music files,etc.

G) The android settings are all very standard and nothing specific for music output.

Will test tomorrow as a phone first to check bands,etc. After that will check music .

Don't have a way to measure output on 4.4 as I don't have the tools for that.

Device is pretty light and it feels like a modified One Plus or something like that.

May 1, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #88,114 of 89,431
Quick Update, for those thinking on buying:

This is an Android phone for mainland China as such:

A) You cannot use Google Playstore, you have to install Aurora Store or Amazon App Store.

B) Uninstall bloatware , typical for Chinese ROMs

C) Replace UC Browser, with something else like Vivaldi , Firefox or another browser that is allowed in China

D) Once that is done you can install all your preferred apps

E) In order to use Gmail install a different email app like Outlook and use that for your Gmail account

F) Hiby Music is preinstalled and you will find all settings to manage music files,etc.

G) The android settings are all very standard and nothing specific for music output.

Will test tomorrow as a phone first to check bands,etc. After that will check music .

Don't have a way to measure output on 4.4 as I don't have the tools for that.

Device is pretty light and it feels like a modified One Plus or something like that.

Hmm, that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. HiFiGo's Yumu Song posted on FB that its sound quality is roughly equivalent to Moondrop's Moon River 2.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 4.51.28 PM.png

Given that, I can't help thinking that it's just not worth the hassle. :thinking:

May 1, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #88,115 of 89,431
Hmm, that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. HiFiGo's Yumu Song posted on FB that its sound quality is roughly equivalent to Moondrop's Moon River 2.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 4.51.28 PM.png

Given that, I can't help thinking that it's just not worth the hassle. :thinking:
The price point is very hood if you get a Monnriver 2 plus phone in the same chassis.

Still have my original moonrise.

For those who import phones like Oppo, Vivo or Xiaomi into the USA, they will be able to perform adjustments quickly.

May 1, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #88,116 of 89,431
May 1, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #88,117 of 89,431
The price point is very hood if you get a Monnriver 2 plus phone in the same chassis.

Still have my original moonrise.

For those who import phones like Oppo, Vivo or Xiaomi into the USA, they will be able to perform adjustments quickly.

Oh, the price of the phone itself is no factor. But given that there's no way I'd ever use this as my main phone, and would end up getting a separate unlimited data plan to use it effectively, the true cost of use is much higher than the phone's purchase price.

May 1, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #88,118 of 89,431

I can only repeat myself, this album will be crazy good. What an artist she has become, industry plant or not. Also Mohini Dey on bass AND the Pocket Queen on drums, jeezus!

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #88,119 of 89,431
2024 highlights...ie., flex.

502E32AF-52C5-480D-9BEF-373216B62E4F.JPEG

Listening now to the Perpetua on the SP3000T. These IEMs have just the sweetest, most wonderful timbre. Really, really love them.

I've heard that, in China, they have their own audiophile lexicon - and that it can be indecipherable.

12367403.jpg

Every time I see girls rise to the ski, I have flowers in my throat. That's just a fact.

May 2, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #88,120 of 89,431
Just wanted to drop some impressions on a relatively unsung product, the Questyle CMA18P, but damn, it sings. :)

PXL_20240429_173322949.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240430_065739105~2.jpg

PXL_20240429_172422009~2.jpg

Spec Highlights:
  • AKM 4493SEQ (departure from the ESS sabre chip used in the M12 and M15)
  • Equipped with four sets of patented PCT-class current-mode SiP chips.
  • Peak power of 1W @32 ohms. Questyle uses bespoke current mode amplification, so power figure numbers differ from traditional amplifiers.
  • Supports up to PCM768kHz/32bit and DSD512 playback. Questyle, interestingly, has dropped MQA support this time.
Price: $699

Connectivity Options and features:
  • USB-C, Optical/TOSlink, and Bluetooth inputs (aptX-HD + LDAC)
  • Vinyl to Digital recording function
  • 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs and line outs.

Looks-wise, the CMA18P is compact and its outer body features sandblasted aviation-grade aluminum surfaces with silver high-gloss buttons and side panels. It has custom corning glass coatings on both front and back panels. The transparent front panel highlights the PCB in an aquarium-like effect, which is quite pleasing to the eye.

Now to come to sound, the CMA18P surprised me with how "analog" it sounds. I hate starting a sound section discussion with such a trite and oft-discussed term but I honestly can't think of any other word to best encapsulate its sonic profile. There is no perceptible digital sheen anywhere in the frequency spectrum. The bass sounds full, tight, detailed; the midrange is rich and ever-so-slightly warm; and the treble is beautiful in its presence and sophistication.

First time I heard this, right after listening to my prized Sony WM1ZM2, it actually sounded like a mini-ZM2. Kid you not. Even my partner-in-rhyme, @BonGoBiLai, noticed the similarities in presentation with some obvious differences like the ZM2's unrivaled soundstage width. That being said, the CMA18P is the widest sounding portable DAC AMP in the sub-$1000 price class that I have heard. It easily beats for width as well as balanced and natural tonality, DAPs like the iBasso DX260 (I own one; review forthcoming) and devices such as the Gryphon; Mojo 2; and the iFi Diablo.

Resolution-wise, it is pretty much the same level as the Diablo and touch above the Gryphon and Mojo 2.

It does have a con though, and it's the fact that the corning glass is slippery to hold. It bothered me very initially but not so much, anymore.

PXL_20240429_173201086~2.jpg

I do want to mention that that 1 Watt output power rating is misleading because unlike iFi, whose power ratings promise more than they deliver; Questyle tends to go the opposite way. The CMA18P has driven all my headphones other than the Susvara, beautifully. The Utopia 2022 and the Empyrean II sound beautiful on it, as does the HD650. I really liked the HD650 synergy with the CMA18P as its soundstage opens up a bit more and the overall experience sounds more hifi! Another trite expression but I wanted to risk using it because it is worth a bit of hype.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #88,121 of 89,431
A note to everybody in this thread: Please DO NOT reply to, address, or post about PixelSquish here as he is no longer able to post in this thread. Doing so would be very rude - as he cannot respond - and I will summarily delete any such posts. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.32.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.32.28 PM.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.31.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 9.31.50 PM.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #88,122 of 89,431
Aroma Jewel in the house!

In the picture, I'm using the PlusSound 8-wire Silver+Gold, but I've rolled over to the EA Thor +

Also using SpiralDot tips. They've always been my best bet.

First impressions:

Natural-neutral tuning. Tuning which feels honest but not FLAT. Wide, open sound, with lots of air and clarity.

Treble is decisive, with outstanding articulation, but definitely relaxed. I don't foresee anyone becoming fatigued by it. If you're a treble head, these COULD satisfy, but you'd probably want just a little more of it.

Vocals are close enough to you with decent size, being well resolved and textured modestly. They nicely walk the line between airiness and weight. They could be more tangible, but the hint of etherealness is quite seductive, as well.

If airiness isn't the star of the show, it's got to be the bass. It's deep and punchy and very capable. There's more of it than you might expect, but it's not crazy or overblown. It's clearly elevated, but it a way which feels natural, making you think there absolutely should be this much in the mix. In fact, if there was any less of it, Jewel's balance would feel lacking.

The reason for this is Jewel is kind of a boring IEM. But in the best possible way. Nothing jumps out at you. Everything is so coherent and balanced, and delivers it with exceptional maturity. Even the bass, which does stand out, does so barely, and in way that just feels right, not noteworthy.

I think someone on here (can't remember who) said you need to crank the volume on Jewel, and they were right. You won't fatigue. There's nothing offensive here. And raising the dB allows the deft tuning to shine.

I am loving what I'm hearing. So far, Jewel is very much the type of IEM I was looking for. A great complement to something like the Legend X, which is all about the fun and bombastic. Jewel is the bookworm, who knows everything and might just share it with you, if you are patient and willing to listen.

Shout out to Andrew of @MusicTeck for loaning me the Aroma Audio Jewel. I look forward to spending more time with them and writing my full review.
Yes, I have always written that the Jewel must be heard at medium / high volume, to show its extraordinary potential. He needs power
These days I'm using it with my Sony WM1ZM2 and Orpheus, and the sound he can give me is simply incredible, so natural, analogue and with that tube-style warmth 😍

May 2, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #88,123 of 89,431
is it bad what whenever I see “Aroma audio”, my brain automatically substitutes that for “smelly sound”

Like how it automatically substitutes FatFREQ for Fat F… :beyersmile:

Or AFUL for Awful.

May 2, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #88,124 of 89,431
is it bad what whenever I see “Aroma audio”, my brain automatically substitutes that for “smelly sound”

Like how it automatically substitutes FatFREQ for Fat F… :beyersmile:

Or AFUL for Awful.
I always refer to a certain IEM as Areola Trailer so you’re not too far off with poor substitutes

May 2, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #88,125 of 89,431
Or AFUL for Awful.

So much this! :smile:

I always refer to a certain IEM as Areola Trailer so you’re not too far off with poor substitutes

Ugh, I can't unsee that!! 😭

Here's a fun one. I think that non-Chinese speakers tend to look at Chinese transcriptions at phonetic face value, because of course they would without knowing what those words are. But given that English has no intonation marks, looking at these transcriptions are often somewhat cryptic for Chinese speakers as well. For example, looking Fei Wan, but not given any pronunciation hints, here are some possibilities (in Mandarin):

Fei​
Wan​
Fly
Fat
Useless
(or unnecessary)
Lung​
Bend
Play
Bowl
Late -or- Tardy
10,000​