The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 10, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #88,786 of 89,667
May 10, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #88,788 of 89,667
Cayin RU7
Yeah, I tend to agree, especially considering the second-hand price I got for mine just recently. Works great with all my IEMs, but especially the A12t...
U12t was my first expensive audiophile purchase. At the time, I loved it so much I got a CIEM that everyone now and then I pull out and the tonality is just oh so right. I don't listen to it much, but it's a delight when I do. Technology has changed so much from when this IEM was launched but I think it still holds up
... I've had mine 2 years now, and couldn't be happier with it. There is something about this IEM that makes it so incredibly more-ish, in that every time I put it away I have this intense longing to listen to it more. Like, 10 minutes later my brain is racing, thinking about how fantastic the music I was listening to was, and just can't wait to hear it again. I'm sure I've said it before, but the A/U12t is only as "boring" as the music you are listening to.

I didn't like the pairing with R8ii so much, which is fine because I bought that DAP to pair up with my much more coloured IEMs. But the easy smooth warmth of the RU7 is just perfect with the A12t.
RU-7 is a great deal.

But the CCA Trio has got to be the deal of the century. No, it does not dethrone the Trifectas or the Monachaas. But how could it? Still, its 3 DDs are very well-tuned as a Harmon-ish/generalist set only lacking flagship-level technicals. Close, but those last bits of depth and layering and musical timbre are missing. Still they would make the ultimate travel set - heck you could travel with 3 pairs for under $100... Pair with RU7 or DC-Elite and you could be quite happy for under $500....
Oooh, yeah, Trio is simply fantastic for just 40 bucks. Blind-buy of the century indeed! Especially when out and around commuting, the bass-boost and lovely coherent timbre creates such a cozy, impenetrable bubble of sound. Often I'll leave my more expensive gear at home and just grab this instead.
Naming only one, which piece of head-fi gear represents the very best value for money for you?

drftr
Considering the versatility of RU7, that has to get my vote.

May 10, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #88,789 of 89,667
I think @jwilliamhurst would know?
I haven’t heard U12T in over 2 years…no way I can possibly give any impressions that could hold any kind of credibility..🙃

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #88,791 of 89,667
I gotta say, the color matching went much better than expected here! :smile: I'm pleasantly surprised.

IMG_2408.jpeg

May 10, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #88,792 of 89,667
Mungkong?

I can't say as this was off the record - but a friend involved with things let me try a few things, some that no one was supposed to.

I really do not understand why Hiby DAPs & dongles are so popular. I heard more of those today & my god they all just sound so bad to me. The products look quite nice but they sound abysmal to my ears. It's absolutely baffling.

May 10, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #88,793 of 89,667
I gotta say, the color matching went much better than expected here! :smile: I'm pleasantly surprised.

Niiiiice, in all honesty I would not buy a cable if it aesthetically does not fit the intended IEM.

Even if it sounds better 🤷‍♂️

May 10, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #88,794 of 89,667
I can't say as this was off the record - but a friend involved with things let me try a few things, some that no one was supposed to.

I really do not understand why Hiby DAPs & dongles are so popular. I heard more of those today & my god they all just sound so bad to me. The products look quite nice but they sound abysmal to my ears. It's absolutely baffling.
That's a bit vague? Which DAPs did you try, and with which IEMs?

May 10, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #88,795 of 89,667
I want to get rid of my Maestro SE & want a bass heavy replacement. Something modern sounding, ideally with EST's. I really don't care for that seismic sub effect whereby you can feel the sub through resin shells - I can take it or leave it. I actually use my Hype 4 (my 'going out' IEM) more for drum n bass now, even at home. The SE are so V uncomfortable.

How about the Canpur?

May 10, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #88,796 of 89,667
I want to get rid of my Maestro SE & want a bass heavy replacement. Something modern sounding, ideally with EST's. I really don't care for that seismic sub effect whereby you can feel the sub through resin shells - I can take it or leave it. I actually use my Hype 4 (my 'going out' IEM) more for drum n bass now, even at home. The SE are so V uncomfortable.

How about the Canpur?
I really liked the EXT, treble was a lil spicy for me though, demo available in Mungkong.

If you don’t care much about mids then there’s also the FiR flagships, those can be demoed in Iconic Music.

May 10, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #88,797 of 89,667

IMG_3680.jpeg

Because quite simply, there are others who disagree with you. And many who have bought the player.

The R8ii and R6proii are both very capable players. The R8ii has a warm, comforting but colored tuning. It’s technically capable and the amplification stage is accomplished. It drove the 622b well. Whilst the sp3000 I had with me had the superior layering, positioning and separation, I felt it wasn’t quite enough for the 622B and Anni 2023.

Reminded me of the Naim Headphone Edition - a very capable “one and done” if you like the tuning. And attractive for the price.

It should be near the top of the list to audition for anyone looking for a player on that category.

Follow-on from my earlier 622B post, i quite enjoyed this pairing. Less warm than the stock Socrates cable but opened up beautifully.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #88,798 of 89,667
Due to philosophical discussions being an inherent part of the Watercooler ecology, I wanted to share a series of abstracts in podcast form that is called Philosophize This.
ab6765630000ba8a16116dc84b5da8d9905a35ec.jpeg

These are made by a guy called Stephen West and he talks about his summarized interpretations of certain philosophers and their viewpoints.
In the playlist I will share here, the main topic revolves around Slavoj Žižek, from whom I had listened to some talks about certain current political topics before and I felt like he had something to say that is interesting to me.
After listening to the episodes regarding Žižek, I did get some better insight into my own thinking, however my overarching belief of the absolute absurdism was not shaken too much. I am also not sure if I agree with Stephen Wests conclusion of Žižek's philosophy because of my own belief.

Maybe this will be interesting to listen to for some of you as well. :)

Trigger Warning: There is a lot of capitalism critique in here and also the word capitalism will be said many times.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #88,799 of 89,667
Please don't take this too personal but may I kindly suggest not turning the Watercooler into a [enter your brand name here] hate page? There's plenty of those elsewhere already, and most here would prefer keeping the Cooler for sharing love for our gear instead. Any brand hated by some is loved by plenty of others - and the other way around. Tnx a million...

drftr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back