The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #9,826 of 90,032
I just put on the EXT with the SR25ii and it's just as enchanting in its on way-- much more, clear, forward & delicate in the mids and a more relaxing listen on the whole...bass is less present but more felt. Honestly EXT may actually emerge my favourite in the long term. I can definitely see the kinship with Elysiium but EXT is definitely its own IEM. Really happy I can drive EXT through a modestly powered source like the SR25ii.

Hearing these two IEMs back to back over the last couple hours I actually feel kind of overstimulated right now...I think I need to take a break and let myself come back down to earth lol

It's abundantly clear to me that VE has two solid home runs with these two IEMs.
I'm with you there today. I've been basically catatonic after hearing all those IEMs today.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #9,827 of 90,032
I just put on the EXT with the SR25ii and it's just as enchanting in its on way-- much more, clear, forward & delicate in the mids and a more relaxing listen on the whole...bass is less present but more felt. Honestly EXT may actually emerge my favourite in the long term. I can definitely see the kinship with Elysiium but EXT is definitely its own IEM. Really happy I can drive EXT through a modestly powered source like the SR25ii.

Hearing these two IEMs back to back over the last couple hours I actually feel kind of overstimulated right now...I think I need to take a break and let myself come back down to earth lol

It's abundantly clear to me that VE has two solid home runs with these two IEMs.
Ahh glad to hear you like it after the long wait!

Not doing any favours for @gLer tho😂

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #9,828 of 90,032
Phönix is legit. Like may have usurped Traillii for me legit. I’ve never heard BA bass like this before— I can feel it in my chest. It’s not as transparent as Traillii but resolution is insane…this degree of resolution alongside such great bass and a stunningly rich, coherent, energetic-yet-classy-&-disciplined sound is a rare treat and in this Phönix may presently be without equal anywhere. I’m utterly transfixed right now. More to come.
Yes, Rock!!!

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #9,830 of 90,032
Another cool iem is coming 🙈
Those pictures don't show the nozzle properly, which looks like they weren't too concerned with trivialities such as ergonomics and actually wearing them in your ears. Looks quite painful. 😅
263871106_652031455819000_8235851561485641029_n.png

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #9,831 of 90,032
Phönix is legit. Like may have usurped Traillii for me legit. I’ve never heard BA bass like this before— I can feel it in my chest. It’s not as transparent as Traillii but resolution is insane…this degree of resolution alongside such great bass and a stunningly rich, coherent, energetic-yet-classy-&-disciplined sound is a rare treat and in this Phönix may presently be without equal anywhere. I’m utterly transfixed right now. More to come.
Glad you’re enjoying it :) it definitely usurped bird for me.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #9,832 of 90,032
Yes it's got in spades that "precision" one stereotypically associates with German craftsmanship. There is also a deep and fundamental sense of inspiration & clarity that pervades the entire signature. I listened to a great interview with Johannes from VE once and he described their creative process which consists in them forming a clear "vision" of what they're going for and then using everything at their disposal to bring that vision into being. This is where the name Vision Ears comes from. Everything about the Phönix - it's name, it's look, the vibe of mythological power the name Phönix carries with it, the sound signature-- smacks of being the result of a singular vision made manifest. In addition it's got impeccable synergy with the Shanling M8. Out of the box EXT sounded a bit too bassy out of the M8 but Phönix is "Chef's Kiss" paired with it.
Yes, I can imagine M8 being great with Phonix. M9 is my favourite pair up. Next is N6ii R01 but that’s a few steps behind.

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #9,833 of 90,032
Jan 15, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #9,834 of 90,032
OMG that must be amazing. I am the 2nd or 3rd on the US tour and I have been (im)patiently waiting for these and the Odin to fall into my hands, er...ears.
You have no idea how privileged your North Americans are 🙄
Not doing any favours for @gLer tho😂
No, he is not. I've reached out again to VE...here's hoping. 😔

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #9,835 of 90,032
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #9,836 of 90,032
Did you compare them directly?
Nope. Just based off my memory of bird. It’s a completely different presentation and I immediately knew I preferred Phonix’s more upfront and forward presentation compared to Traillii’s laidback and out-of-head style of sound. I had the same feeling between Erlkonig and Traillii, however I didnt like Erlky’s treble by comparison. Phonix fixed that issue.

But in terms of direct a/b’ing and picking apart each component of the FR, I couldn’t tell you which one definitively performs better at each element. :)

Edit: For reference, I sold bird at the end of October and Phonix arrived end of November.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #9,837 of 90,032
You have no idea how privileged your North Americans are 🙄

No, he is not. I've reached out again to VE...here's hoping. 😔

I reached out and asked if they might consider a European tour, no reply!

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #9,838 of 90,032
I reached out and asked if they might consider a European tour, no reply!
Since I'm only really interested in hearing IEMs that have a chance of cracking my top ten, and both VEs have a great chance of doing that, they're currently the only IEMs I've actively set out to review. Mind you, I did reach out to FiR a while back, but if past experience is anything to go by, that's a no-go.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #9,839 of 90,032
Nope. Just based off my memory of bird. It’s a completely different presentation and I immediately knew I preferred Phonix’s more upfront and forward presentation compared to Traillii’s laidback and out-of-head style of sound. I had the same feeling between Erlkonig and Traillii, however I didnt like Erlky’s treble by comparison. Phonix fixed that issue.

But in terms of direct a/b’ing and picking apart each component of the FR, I couldn’t tell you which one definitively performs better at each element. :)
Ok, I'll give you a pass this time...😁 but in general I believe it's difficult to compare IEMs from memory. Auditory memory is notoriously unreliable. Although I'll accept that the memory of the experienced folks on this forum can be better than mine.

Edit: they being said, the Phonix sounds like an awesome IEM. Maybe I'll get one in 2023...😊

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #9,840 of 90,032
Since I'm only really interested in hearing IEMs that have a chance of cracking my top ten, and both VEs have a great chance of doing that, they're currently the only IEMs I've actively set out to review. Mind you, I did reach out to FiR a while back, but if past experience is anything to go by, that's a no-go.

EXT is of huge interest to me but I'm not spending that amount without hearing it first! Intrigued also by the new lineup from FiR but again, too many $$$ to go blind.

I'll try VE again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back