The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 25, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #53,686 of 89,995
Had a go at the Ravens today - they sound like EEs new take for the Legend X. Legend X quantity, Odin quality bass. Lower upper mids with the same treble of the Odin. I can see how people would prefer this, but to my taste I still like Odin (always preferred neutral or less bass pieces)

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #53,687 of 89,995
Had a go at the Ravens today - they sound like EEs new take for the Legend X. Legend X quantity, Odin quality bass. Lower upper mids with the same treble of the Odin. I can see how people would prefer this, but to my taste I still like Odin (always preferred neutral or less bass pieces)
I personally found the Raven’t treble better than the ODIN’s. Tonally, it’s more well-split between all the different sub-ranges. It’s got a quicker, more precise attack to it. And, it’s got a bunch more air. I can see why you prefer the ODIN, because of your tastes. For me, without spoiling my upcoming CJ post too much, it’s EE’s best IEM yet; by a decent margin.

Mar 25, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #53,688 of 89,995
A2A.jpg

Greeting Head-Fi Watercooler!

Today having nothing better to do on a lazy Saturday I found myself back at Addicted To Audio in Melbourne, sampling their latest wares through my new Shanling M6U player and affording the staff the opportunity to hear my Penon Impacts, which met with approval.

There were three new IEMs in particular I was eager to hear, and I'll offer you my thoughts on each. Please bear in mind my demo of each was no more than a few minutes, and although the shop was not terribly noisy, impressions gathered under such conditions are definitely not to be taken as gospel but rather rough indicators.

For this particular session EDM tracks I'm familiar were played through Apple Music, saved locally to the M6U's Micron i400 Micro-SD card, from artists such as Yotto, Marsh, Booka Shade, Spencer Brown & Ilan Bluestone - I feed my ears whatever @Damz87 & @aaf evo tell me to and have no complaints yet! :ksc75smile:

Andro.jpg

Campfire Audio Andromeda Emerald Sea

I like to maintain a positive attitude in life, but sometimes that's difficult. This is one of those times.

The new Andromedas look much more modern & futuristic than the older shell models, and better yet I find the new shells much more comfortable as well. In fact among high-end IEMs these are some of the most comfortable I've used in a long time. The problem is they don't sound terribly much like high-end IEMs.

It's almost as if CFA took the previous generation's drawbacks (poor dynamic range and BA-bass that lacked texture and didn't go deep enough) and kept them, without adding any new advantages. Having owned the Andromeda 2020's I remember they were at least superb at imaging, and were excellent value for money among IEMs in their price range.

Not only did I find the new Andromeda's resolution a very noticeable step down, perhaps even from an older high-end IEMs like the U12T and far behind the Mentors & Ragnars of the world, but their overall character was extremely dull, muted and flat. Poor dynamics may be an acceptable tradeoff from IEMs that are superbly resolving and technical like the U12Ts, but here I'm left wondering exactly what was given in return.

Certainly their soundstage was nice and wide, and there was a pleasing inoffensiveness to the overall tonality with no jarring peaks I could detect. However it didn't feel like the Andromedas were able to pull off the 'flat reference' sound either - they were far too coloured for that, with what sounded like excessive midbass. Sub bass was again rolled off like the previous model and even the treble lacked the sparkle the original Andromedas all those years ago were famous for.

This is a real shame because they are extremely comfortable and give the appearance of being physically very well made, but appear to be shockingly overpriced for the quality of sound they deliver - a worrying trend common among CFA's latest batch of products.

Solaris.jpg

Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

Like the Andromedas the new Solaris look fantastic and their stainless steel shells are an absolute work of art. CFA are really knocking the visuals out of the park with their recent releases and the build quality of the Solaris Stellar Horizon warrants particular praise. I recommend demoing them purely to sample how beautifully crafted they are.

Physically the Stellar Horizons reminded me of the Pathfinders since they share a similar shape, but didn't seem to stick out in my ears quite as much. Sonically they impressed me, their DD-fueled bass was satisfyingly deep and prominent and they featured a wide soundstage befitting a TOTL-calibre IEM.

They struck me as a satisfying IEM that justified their price tag far better than the Andromedas, however I find it much easier describing high-end IEMs by mentioning qualities they lack or are deficient in, so please place the following nitpicks in that context.

Firstly whichever DDs CFA are using are slow enough that I could easily hear them struggling to keep up with the music. Granted I was playing rather fast-paced EDM tracks in this demo, but that's hardly a niche genre these days. When a DD struggles to match the timing of the BAs it is paired with the lack cohesiveness is something I find annoying and fatiguing, for me it's a dealbreaker though I understand not everyone feels that way.

Furthermore to my ears the Solaris demonstrated an excess of midbass I found distracting in that it seemed to annoyingly cloud the presentation, potentially obscuring detail. Speaking of that the Solaris were a step down in resolution from my Penon Impacts and BA/EST hybrids of similar ilk, though they did retrieve more detail than the Andromedas which struggled to resolve much at all.

I also found the Solaris' midrange to be a touch recessed & whispy, but their treble possessed quite a lot of energy - not enough to bother me, but others may be more sensitive. Overall the Solaris brought back memories of the Pathfinders which I did quite like, the real issue is with CFA's recent pricing it's become harder to overlook shortcomings when the competition is so stiff.

To think the Impacts at USD $2500 are more affordable than these... frankly unless you place a priority on appearances or metallic enclosures or were annoyingly insistent on a DD being mandatory, it's very difficult to recommend the Solaris when there are many more highly resolving IEMs delivering better technicalities out there at similar prices - and in some cases much less. Even if you're a basshead, the FatFreq Maestro SE's would be my recommendation instead if their large fit works for you.

Campfire Audio Trifecta (not pictured)

I've heard the Trifectas several times before, but having recently acquired the Shanling M6U was keen to see if a different source might do the trick.

You see I'd previously been dramatically unimpressed by them, as were all the other Australian Head-Fiers who'd heard them so far to my knowledge, in fact even Addicted To Audio's staff... well perhaps I'd best not speak for them but let's just say Trifecta sentiments in this part of the world run almost universally in one direction.

So despite having heard them twice already I spent more time with the Trifectas today than any of the other IEM, wanting to make absolutely sure no possible sonic blessing they possessed escaped my attention.

I'll certainly say this much for them - they do offer something unique, and there aren't many IEMs in the hobby which can claim that. CFA have also taken a risk by trying something different which deserves due recognition.

Physically they are quite light and comfortable and do not stick out in my ears too far. No complaints there. Their soundstage is massive, and they have the ability to produce instruments that sound very large, with a palpable visceralness that emulates floor-standing speakers as much or more than any IEM on the market. I would love to hear them driven by really first-class desktop amplification and suspect they'd sound spectacular with the right tube amp.

Perhaps EDM was the wrong (or even worst?) genre for them, but previously I'd tested the Trifectas with other styles of music and today didn't massively change my feelings towards them - my opinion remains that they are horribly flawed and fatally overpriced.

To begin, these DDs are disappointingly slow. Far too slow to keep up with music of any appreciable pace acceptably. Busy passages become an incoherent mess, not least because Trifecta is tuned to be unapologetically boomy with excessive midbass that obscures the midrange at times. Imaging and resolution are not up to TOTL IEM standards, and as for the treble.... CFA should've included binoculars in the box because you'll need help finding any.

Are my expectations partly to blame? Having been an audiophile for the better part of 30 years an ingrained demand for a base level of precision, delicacy and finesse has become sacrosanct. When they are not delivered I carefully scrutinise what they've been traded away for, an exchange much easier to judge favourably when price is an obvious constraint.

That's not the case here. These are a USD $3375 set of earphones. Now perhaps you listen predominantly to slower music and you're happy to prioritise timbre & tonality over technicalities then Trifectas may be something you find satisfying. However I wonder how effectively that itch could be scratched with vastly more affordable IEMs. One can purchase Chi-Fi earphones with pleasant tonality for as little as $20 these days, it is largely an IEM's ability to resolve detail, project a soundstage and accurately delineate sounds within it that increases in accordance with price, and though Trifectas have a terrifically large stage they fail dismally in many technical departments.

My honest opinion is the Trifectas are absolutely worth trying, if nothing else to help reveal your own audio preferences to yourself.

Ronin.jpg

Noble Audio Ronin

I'll cut to the chase (it's getting dark and this post is quickly approaching full-blown review length) and simply state Ronin are my favourite Noble IEMs yet.

Unfortunately I wouldn't consider purchasing them for the same reason other Noble IEM have escaped my interest - physically Ronin are massive, larger even than the Multiverse Mentors which lie right on the edge of my size comfort zone. Which oddly enough, is not to say I found Ronin remotely painful. Not at all, merely awkwardly disconcerting having something that large suck in my ears.. perhaps this is a sensation one gets used to eventually?

It's hard not to wonder why Noble IEMs always seem to be so much larger for their driver count than other brands. Having said that these particular shells are gorgeous viewed in person, sparkling in a the light in a way that's difficult for the camera to catch. The stock cable also looks superb, with serious Effect Audio Gaea vibes.

I spend less time with Ronin than the CFA IEMs so my impressions are briefer, but came away very impressed by them. Definitely more to my taste than Ragnar, lacking the excessive brightness of that IEM but delivering a much smoother, all-genre friendly presentation.

Most immediately obvious was just how satisfying Ronin's bass was - enough so that had someone told me they contained a DD I might've almost believed them. I felt they surpassed the Impacts in this regard, which themselves have BA bass that is no slouch. Ronin also seemed a bit meatier, perhaps with more upper bass than the Impacts and possessing a smoother overall character. I did not get the impression detail was being shoved in my face quite so much, though the flipside was they may not have resolved quite as much detail as the Impacts, at least with the M6U. A more thorough comparison would be needed however, and I do plan to try them again.

Size aside, Ronin are an IEM I could very happily live with, though at USD $3900 there's a wealth of extremely stiff competition out there especially in the used market.

Andro-Solaris-Ronin.jpg

Thank you to Addicted to Audio for hosting me, it was a pleasure as always.

My biggest takeaway from today was just how competitive the market has become.

Had Ronin arrived just a year ago it might well have knocked my socks off, but so many amazing IEMs have come & gone since then it's hard not to be a little blasé. "Really good" doesn't quite cut it the way it used to, and it's harder to excuse tiny flaws that might've once been overlooked.

I pity the manufacturers, but its a great time to be a consumer. Vibrant competition surely drives innovation, and I get the feeling many of us are almost "annoyingly satisfied" with what we already have, waiting for something daringly different to arrive but not knowing what, suspecting we'll know when we hear it.
I didn't find the time for the new Andro or Trifecta but I did spend some time with the Solaris.

Long story short - I was underwhelmed. I heard some sharpness and a lackluster bass. In addition, I found the detail retrieval fell short, despite the overall tonality being rather bright.

I will try to have another listen tomorrow just for confirmation but right now I don't see a reasonable price to performance ratio with the Solaris.

Mar 25, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #53,690 of 89,995
I personally found the Raven’t treble better than the ODIN’s. Tonally, it’s more well-split between all the different sub-ranges. It’s got a quicker, more precise attack to it. And, it’s got a bunch more air. I can see why you prefer the ODIN, because of your tastes. For me, without spoiling my upcoming CJ post too much, it’s EE’s best IEM yet; by a decent margin.
Ravens sound very intriguing… what’s the driver configuration?

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #53,691 of 89,995
Ok, so now that it’s been mentioned by others, I was just gonna say, @Stu Paddasso, I believe the goal with Raven was to create something akin to odyssey, albeit refined, with improved treble extension and separation, even potentially surpassing Odin treble quality. I believe they have accomplished it.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #53,692 of 89,995
Ok, so now that it’s been mentioned by others, I was just gonna say, @Stu Paddasso, I believe the goal with Raven was to create something akin to odyssey, albeit refined, with improved treble extension and separation, even potentially surpassing Odin treble quality. I believe they have accomplished it.
Ah, so it's not Magenta, a-la LX II, but rather Odin II?

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #53,693 of 89,995
Ah, so it's not Magenta, a-la LX II, but rather Odin II?
Ehh, well it’s more of like a Jack of all trades. Definitely not the LXII and not like Odin. Maybe think like Odyssey tonality with a sprinkle of EVO bass (refined) and Odin-ish type treble but more air and separation I guess. Very smooth and non-peaky mid range like Odyssey.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #53,694 of 89,995
Ehh, well it’s more of like a Jack of all trades. Definitely not the LXII and not like Odin. Maybe think like Odyssey tonality with a sprinkle of EVO bass (refined) and Odin-ish type treble but more air and separation I guess. Very smooth and non-peaky mid range like Odyssey.
So we shouldn’t wait for Thor which absolutely refines the sound legacy that Odin / Evo / Odyssey had left behind and perfects what those models were REALLY supposed to sound like?

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #53,695 of 89,995
Is it the new flagship?

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #53,698 of 89,995
Is it the new flagship?
This way LX will become entry level @aaf evo 🫣

Either way, Raven is sounding quite promising and I definitely want to try it.

But that faceplate? It’s a Raven! Missed opportunity to make a great design impact.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #53,699 of 89,995

But that faceplate? It’s a Raven! Missed opportunity to make a great design impact.

I’d assume it’s just a dummy shell, not a final design.

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #53,700 of 89,995

Hopefully that's just a stand-in faceplate for the prototype. I doubt that's the final look. And for anyone who thinks LX is entry level, well, they can't be helped I guess. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back