The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #85,096 of 90,523
Feelin’ the gold and red today.

C29EBC46-5266-4DA7-9C8B-AC302D210DD5.jpeg
My one gold cable is on the way to Gladiator to get revised 2 pins.

1Z scheduled to arrive tomorrow and Fei Wan is the only gold I'll have for a while

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #85,097 of 90,523
if you don't look at the LE vs Reg Storm side by side and just looked at the Reg L/R as a matching pair, it looks pretty good. (although im not sure why the headfi demo is so beat up looking)

1711936272039.png
It looks ok in isolation, but I don't really get 'STORM' from this at all. It looks more like some sort ancient writing, like the Pokemon 'Unown'.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #85,099 of 90,523
It looks ok in isolation, but I don't really get 'STORM' from this at all. It looks more like some sort ancient writing, like the Pokemon 'Unown'.
I honestly think both Storms do not look that great. I personally would expect a design that is a better fit to its' name and its' price.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #85,100 of 90,523
Do you think the Dx260 is enough for any iem, even if it's a top one? I haven't seen any great reviews about it yet....I didn't know that Storm was already possible in a custom format. What did you think of canpur? In general?
On the dx260 have to agree with @aaf evo - its okay....I got it for use mainly as a transport into Ibasso D16 because of its coax out but also as a small dap for walkaround. I cant complain about it as a transport - but as a dap using with FeiWan, I feel a little underwhelmed. Could be because of my preference for a fuller sound. In the same price & size bracket, I find Sony's 707 far more engaging.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #85,101 of 90,523
Ended up with Quad Copper for VEX. Does exactly what I wanted, tightened bass and smoothed treble on VEX. Additionally, gave the mids a nice texture I missed from the EXT.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #85,102 of 90,523
Which cable you using? One of Justin’s?

Yes it's a gold plated silver cable. I had it custom made for my LP6 Gold (hence the red)...I even had a 1/4" plug on it originally. When I migrated to the WM1Z I had it reterminated to 4.4. I actually bought the Amber Radiance Trifecta specifically to match with this cable but I was so taken with the Tyrian off the bat (sonically and aesthetically) that I only recently decided to try out this cable. Pound for pound I think I prefer it...it seems to me to add a touch of clarity and refinement up top which I like.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #85,103 of 90,523
Ended up with Quad Copper for VEX. Does exactly what I wanted, tightened bass and smoothed treble on VEX. Additionally, gave the mids a nice texture I missed from the EXT.
I like spc xl more than quad copper when I have them side by side.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #85,104 of 90,523
I like spc xl more than quad copper when I have them side by side.
I have issues with treble, that “air” a lot of manufacturers put in treble nowadays is too sharp for me - a lot of songs I listen to has really sibilant cymbals/crash. SPC XL just made that worse for me. I demo’d the SPC XL, Copper XL as well and preferred quad. Then again my Quad is the 6 wire version so might be a lil different.

Having said that I’m willing to bet 90% of others won’t like the smoothed out treble lol. This is just my preference.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #85,105 of 90,523
Daaaaaaaayumm 🔥😮
The color coordination of the cable matching is on point.
if you don't look at the LE vs Reg Storm side by side and just looked at the Reg L/R as a matching pair, it looks pretty good. (although im not sure why the headfi demo is so beat up looking)

1711936272039.png
Any word on when the more mass produced Subtonic Storm will be available?
Right there with you, guess I'm feeling a little blue!
1000017862.jpg
What cable is this?

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #85,106 of 90,523
Would you guys mind helping me with a small survey as to which eartips do you prefer (in sound quality)? I'm using Coreir Brass on Singularity and feel that male vocal isn't very deep and resonant. Despite of the perfect fit.
There's no one best tip. The best one for your ear on that specific IEM will depend on the bore length, nozzle width, and other measurements, and also on whether you're trying to achieve any kind of modification to the sound signature.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #85,107 of 90,523
In case you missed it. Storm regular edition pics are there.

OG left, the regular right.

Imho design-wise its horrendous.
Couldn't care less as long as it sounds the same and is still made of that awesome titanium.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #85,108 of 90,523
The world's most expensive cable: $1.5 Million USD

6W, steel, triangular geometry.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #85,110 of 90,523
Hey everyone, we would just like to clarify some things. The design of the shell is not final and is the latest revision we had on hand to give a rough idea of the adjustments that will be made. The canvas case in the video is also not the regular edition case and is a simple case we use internally. The final leather case is similar in design to the launch edition case, using olive Badalassi Carlo Minerva Box instead of the Pueblo that that was used for the launch edition for a more robust feel. It will be on display at CanJam Singapore. The "dirty" finishing is one of the main issues we have been facing with the PVD coating and we have rejected around 5 sample runs of faceplates. Entirely our bad for not communicating this to Head-Fi team better, so we beg your pardon for the confusion.

As for the design we hear you, there are definitely still adjustments that we want to make but we wanted to get feedback on the general idea of the clear enamel over the black anodised backing plate. For those attending CanJam SG we'd still like your feedback on the clear enamel + backing plate combination when you see it in person. There were a lot of limitations with the current CNC suppliers that forced us to simplify the design, and we are not entirely happy with it ourselves. Given the struggles we are facing with the finishing and machining we will probably go back to the drawing board to make further adjustments.

We have been going through some internal restructuring recently which has also led to some delays and communication interruptions, but now that we are past that we hope that we can expedite things and serve everyone better. Honest feedback is always appreciate but regardless we are still sorry for the confusion. Thanks again to everyone for your continuous support and we hope to have more news on the STORM Regular Edition soon. Do drop by the Zeppelin and Co. room during CanJam Singapore to give the STORM a go if you haven't. Mass-Kobo will also be in the same room as us so you can give the awesome combination of the STORM + 465 a go as well. Aside from that, Titan, Crimson and Meteor will also be available for demo alongside the Singularity, Duality prototype and all our cables. Drop by for a listen, or even just to say hi, see you there!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back