The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #85,906 of 89,843
For those who tried Melodic Artification Alter Ego, can tell if its semi-open design affects ambient noise isolation negatively??

The EXT is exceptionally well insulated throughout and is a semi open, I expect it to be a similar case, isolating outside noise is something important to me :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #85,907 of 89,843
For those who tried Melodic Artification Alter Ego, can tell if its semi-open design affects ambient noise isolation negatively??

The EXT is exceptionally well insulated throughout and is a semi open, I expect it to be a similar case, isolating outside noise is something important to me :)

I didnt find it affecting isolation that much, which was surprising. Definitely one of the most impressive IEMs from Canjam SG for me! will probably get one!

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #85,908 of 89,843
Thats a common place and I started my post with "we all prefer different things and hear things differently." We are in the same boat on that.

I believe Trifecta got a small, but very strong feeling fanbase. I met couple people on the Amsterdam meet-up regreting falling for the hype and losing the money of the thing. Aswell as few people that are absolutely loving the iem. I strongly believe its very important to audion it first. I dont think its as simple as "its a meaty comfort IEM with great bass that people that like oomph and big stage will like even if the resolution is not quite there" there are things about its tuning that are very dividing and the resolution is really something that might be perceived as much lower than expected at this pricepoint.
I think you bring up a good point in that when you’re playing around in the high-end, one needs to pay close attention to resale values. If you were to buy a full price trifecta and didn’t like them after the initial return window, you’re taking a massive $1000+ hit. I’ve seen them sitting for around $2k on the classifieds and other places. You could buy a brand new Bonneville for the same money you lost on that pair. Something like an Anni (which I know is harder to get), if you don’t like them it would turn out to be only a $150-300 audition which isn’t the worst thing in the world. Moral of the story is, don’t buy blind and try before you buy.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #85,910 of 89,843
I think you bring up a good point in that when you’re playing around in the high-end, one needs to pay close attention to resale values. If you were to buy a full price trifecta and didn’t like them after the initial return window, you’re taking a massive $1000+ hit. I’ve seen them sitting for around $2k on the classifieds and other places. You could buy a brand new Bonneville for the same money you lost on that pair. Something like an Anni (which I know is harder to get), if you don’t like them it would turn out to be only a $150-300 audition which isn’t the worst thing in the world. Moral of the story is, don’t buy blind and try before you buy.
Cannot help to think using loss of money is defeatist. Are we just missing the point here, which is enjoying music and for a lot of us Trifecta is a great set for that. I also think U12T is musical and great to listen with. Oh yeah and I do not get the Mentor M hype that was so incoherent to me, I say that just to illustrate that I have my own ears, as do we all. I wish we could put the negativity about the U12T and the Trifecta to rest, the audience here is already educated so we are beating a drum too loudly at this point.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #85,911 of 89,843
There were 4 (four) sets added to Classifieds just last week.

drftr

I posted a want ad and then all of a sudden a bunch of them popped up.

Speaking of, just got a pair from an head-fier and they are phenomenal already.

On another note: Does anyone have a carrying case solution/recommendation big enough for a set of IEMs (or two) and a Hiby RS8 (chunky boy)?

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #85,912 of 89,843
Ok. Curiosity is killing the cat over here. What sources have been driving the Alter Ego and how big is that thing? The shell looks huge in the unboxing video. Can someone provide some perspective?

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #85,913 of 89,843
I didnt find it affecting isolation that much, which was surprising. Definitely one of the most impressive IEMs from Canjam SG for me! will probably get one!
Thanks for the response, it is definitely good news, I like to see new actors in the iem scene, of course Alter Ego and Rubi have my full attention :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #85,914 of 89,843
I posted a want ad and then all of a sudden a bunch of them popped up.

Speaking of, just got a pair from an head-fier and they are phenomenal already.

On another note: Does anyone have a carrying case solution/recommendation big enough for a set of IEMs (or two) and a Hiby RS8 (chunky boy)?

You can probably try the Effect Audio Chamber Carrying Case, pretty convenient and small. You can check it out here

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #85,915 of 89,843
Ok. Curiosity is killing the cat over here. What sources have been driving the Alter Ego and how big is that thing? The shell looks huge in the unboxing video. Can someone provide some perspective?

Oh it's not a hard to drive IEM, i used gain 3 on my 320 max and 9 o'clock on the volume wheel. it's not big. @SkyWarrior had pretty small ears, but he had a perfect fit with the Alter Ego iirc

They are not big, pretty medium sized if i say so myself, if you can fit an Annihilator 23 in your ears, they should be perfectly fine. Here's a pic that @yaps66 took.

1712681024079.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #85,917 of 89,843
Oh it's not a hard to drive IEM, i used gain 3 on my 320 max and 9 o'clock on the volume wheel. it's not big. @SkyWarrior had pretty small ears, but he had a perfect fit with the Alter Ego iirc

They are not big, pretty medium sized if i say so myself, if you can fit an Annihilator 23 in your ears, they should be perfectly fine. Here's a pic that @yaps66 took.

Thanks for this. The Annihilator was too big for my liking. Is the Alter Ego a substantially easier fit?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #85,919 of 89,843
Have you considered stretching?

Earplate.png

drftr
I’ve done a lot in my time to make a monitor fit, but that’s going too far.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #85,920 of 89,843
Funny this is exactly how it sounded to me just now played through my Trifectas. Plus this music is so far from anything I listen to, that this was why I asked you before to help us with tracks/musical tastes so there is context for your reactions to Trifecta. Moving on....

I think he wanted the Trifecta to have detail retrieval as well as delicateness of those detail presentation of a Susvara, but no IEMs so far even reaches Susvara levels of detail yet IMO. Trifecta is actually quite the opposite of Susvara on the overall grand scheme of things, but I love the Trifecta for its unique grandiose presentation as well as that analog bass that no other IEMs have ever captured yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back