The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #86,222 of 90,117
MusicTeck Impressions

Paid a visit to Leo and Andrew @MusicTeck today where I was able to demo the popular Melodic Artification Alter Ego as well as the following:

- Noble Audio Onyx (re-demo)
- Astral Acoustics Mars, and Eclipse
- Flash Acoustics Thanos, and Ultron
- Beat Audio Cyclone, Billow MK2, and Orbit Saga
- Liquid Links Venom (re-demo)

IMG_9755.jpg

Melodic Artification Alter Ego ($2,500 USD)
IMG_9747.jpg

Aside from its killer name, the Alter Ego has an incredible build with an attractive all-titanium housing. Not only are they they titanium, they're light. They're much lighter than Rhapsodio Supreme V3, lighter than Storm, lighter than pretty much any similarly-sized IEM cased in titanium or metal.

The Alter Ego has a switch that takes a bit of effort to flip, and changes the sound between a bassier profile and a more W-shaped profile. Alter Ego is an open-back IEM so there's going to be some sound leakage but the open-back design aids with imaging and soundstaging.

Alter Ego (switch 1, W-shaped profile):

The Alter Ego has an elevated and a very tactile/textured sub and mid-bass that is somehow still very clean from a PRaT perspective. This is no small feat.

Usually, I see bass in an IEM as some form of a trade-off between the stereotypical dynamic driver tactility/bounce and the stereotypical BA speed/cleanliness. Alter Ego has both.

The vocals similarly sound clean yet lush. Breathy, natural, and smooth are other adjectives I'd use to describe the voicing. There's no strain in the vocals, and it's neutral/warm and musical.

The treble is probably the "weakest" part of the FR. It comes across as just there, maybe a little polite. There are no perceptible peaks but it's not the most extended. The treble has a nice tone, but if you prefer a livelier treble, you may be left a little wanting.

I'd rank the Alter Ego a hair below the Annihilator 2023 in terms of pure resolution, but the Alter Ego has more textured bass and mids which creates the perception that it's as detailed as the Annihilator.

Alter Ego has good dynamics, falling a little below the Annihilator 2023 in this respect, but outclasses it in soundstaging and imaging. The imaging is particularly good with easily perceptible depth as well as as left/right imaging. Alter Ego's transient attack is also well-defined.

Alter Ego (switch 2, bassy profile):

Compared to the W-shaped profile, the bassy profile is much more mid-bassy with a nice tactile slam. This profile still retains the bass cleanliness and articulation.

The bassy profile sounds a little more crowded than the W-shaped profile but still maintains good instrument separation and imaging depth.

The bassy profile sounds a little more fun and attention-grabbing to me but I can see it being a little less versatile with music genres.

IMG_9750.JPG

Summary:
Alter Ego is a clean, engaging, and musical set with addicting, correct-sounding vocals, and clean yet textured bass. Alter Ego has great techs, particularly imaging and bass/mids texturing.

Two drawbacks may be the open-back design and the more subdued treble. Aside from those, I think it's the new benchmark at $2.5k USD and trades blows with many IEMs at the $3k USD mark and above including the Annhilator 2023, Canpur 622B, and VE X to name a few.

More impressions to come later.
Great write-up. A very likely blind-buy for me. Very curious to hear your thoughts on the Flash cables as well, if you have the time.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #86,224 of 90,117
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

1) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Loved the OG, Noir sounds even more up my alley
2) Elysian Dio-- not really a potential buy for me, but I'm dying to heari it.
3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?
1. Alter Ego
2. Flash Cables
3. PB5
4. Symphonium Titan

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #86,226 of 90,117
I got to spend proper time with the Noble Onyx and it's a very, very enjoyable IEM. Nice, satisfying bass and just a nicely cohesive sound top to bottom. Not fatiguing at all and a really fun set.

BUT...

I own Anni '23. And after a few hours, I switched back over to get a proper comparison. I knew that a few minutes of comparison wasn't going to cut it. And man, it just SPARKLES in comparison. It's a thicker, more engrossing sound all around and I don't need to add more to what's already been said about the treble. It's like a veil is lifted. As someone who is treble sensitive, it's ability to provide that much detail and texture without being fatiguing is really something. Onyx beats it on bass, but I'm not a basshead. I look for a great overall sound.

The journey continues. :)
Only thing I’ve tried that is similar and a more muscular version of the Anni was the Fei Wan. Most likely going to pick it up myself, just can’t decide on custom or not since I wish I got the Jewel in custom.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #86,227 of 90,117
Can anyone compare Monachaa directly to Bonneville? That’s the one set I didn’t get to listen to at CanJam and it has me curious.
Well, let's see. I have owned both. Bonneville is much more visceral, dynamic, pressurized, with an upper mid tuning that can be quite incisive, and full, soundstage-enveloping bass/midbass that really hits. Monachaa is more reserved at first blush but the more you listen, the more you hear its detailed and textured sub-bass, its incredibly clear and forward mids with gorgeous DD timbre and a slight emphasis on the upper mids, and its captivating, expansive soundstage. Monachaa has better layering and texture and imaging - more air - but isn't as visceral or full-bodied as Bonneville. In some ways they are complementary, in terms of mood. Bonneville being more bombastic and aggressive yet still very cohesive, Monachaa being more calm and focussed but with the better overall timbre.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #86,228 of 90,117
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

1) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Loved the OG, Noir sounds even more up my alley
2) Elysian Dio-- not really a potential buy for me, but I'm dying to heari it.
3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?

Definitely the latest version (V2) of Eletech's prototype (Romeo) for me! 🙂

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #86,230 of 90,117
Can you say more? What's the profile?

I haven't heard the (V2) yet, but multiple ears that I trust - including @HiFiHawaii808 and @AnakChan - heard it at CanJam Singapore 2024 recently.

They've universally reported back that the new version is both more emotive and more engaging, albeit smoother, than the V1 that I heard at CanJam NYC 2024 last month. That bodes well for me as unanimity is generally a good sign.

To me the V1 was nicely balanced, with just enough warmth as to not sound cold or analytical. But it mainly stood out in terms of how incredibly vivid and resolving the mids were, and how layered the staging was, especially with regards to depth which is an uncommon thing. The transition from the upper mids to the highs might have been a touch bright, but it that's the only flaw I can easily forgive something like that.

If the V2 has accentuated the good above, and mitigated that one flaw, I'm probably going to love that damned thing! 🤣

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #86,231 of 90,117
Hello watercooler people!

I've been out of the scene for years but just dropped by to ask if there's a good modern alternative for Shure KSE1500? Replaceable cables and no dedicated dac/amp would be nice convenience. Or do I just buy another one?

I haven't heard it, but I think your best bet is probably a Soranik MEMS-3S. :slight_smile:

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #86,233 of 90,117
1. Fei Wan (buy)

If it's already been put on buy status, then technically it's not just on your radar, you now have missile lock! 😄

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #86,234 of 90,117
If it's already been put on buy status, then technically it's not just on your radar, you now have missile lock! 😄
Can’t decide on custom or not, I think I need to hear the universal one more time. Since I now regret not getting the Jewel in custom. And I definitely like the RN6 more in the custom over the universal. I love the Anni, read it in a review on here and definitely agree the FW reminds me of the Anni on steroids.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #86,235 of 90,117
Can’t decide on custom or not, I think I need to hear the universal one more time. Since I now regret not getting the Jewel in custom. And I definitely like the RN6 more in the custom over the universal. I love the Anni, read it in a review on here and definitely agree the FW reminds me of the Anni on steroids.

Ah, okay, that's a very specific dilemma there. So just to continue the metaphor, too close for missiles, switching to guns! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back