The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 4, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #88,306 of 89,948
After hearing the song, then repeating it it with visuals, I take it you're 100% ready to join the Watercooler Project World Tour!

With you on vocals, who else on this thread is a singer or playing an instrument? Please do chime in, tell us what you do, and especially why. And as a rule we can never have enough singers, drummers, whatever.

drftr
Since @maegnificant called dibs on drums, I’ll edit, mix and master. 😋

May 4, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #88,307 of 89,948
Thanks Jeff the graphic helps a lot.
So there will be greater control in the low volume range if I’m not misunderstood.
I wonder how it compares to the silver concept version also.

400,000 yen is serious money for a portable amp

May 4, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #88,308 of 89,948
TOTL_01.jpg

Brief A/B comparisons tonight:

Aroma Audio Jewel is the warmer IEM. Between its subdued treble and greater mid-bass, it is south of neutral, possessing a lushness in the midrange.

Empire Ears Odin is closer to true neutral, in spite of some funny business here and there. I know this, because back-to-back with Jewel, Odin is more transparent, rendering acoustic instruments closer to how they sound when played right before you in real life. Jewel adds a lush veil, which is rather pleasing, but less transparent as a result.

Jewel still manages to be the more natural sounding. I know, that seems like a contradiction. But Odin’s funny business, mentioned above, shows itself with drums and brighter electronic sounds. The upper vocal range is exaggerated a little, as well. These things create an unnatural, hyper-realism. Which is also rather pleasing in most situations.

I guess you could say they both do things which are unnatural in their own right. And both are qualities which strengthen the intended tuning of the respective IEM.

Listening to the track Grass Top, an instrumental piece on the album SCRIBBLED FOLK SYMPHONIES by Amber Rubarth, Odin was clearer, more transparent, genuinely putting you in the room where this binaural record was captured. Jewel is a little hazy, a little veiled, but I was more emotionally gripped when that cello does its climactic bit. I was still moved by Odin’s portrayal, but I was moved more by Jewel.

However! Not only was Odin more transparent, but it definitely, DEFINITELY rendered more detail, with cleaner separation, blacker background, and higher resolution instruments.

Man, there’s so much more to explore and talk about, but that will have to do it for tonight.

Have a great weekend, folks!
I love that Unmumzaan. I’ve been trying with zero luck to find a left hand. Slumming it with the Sebenza in the meantime. What else do you have in your collection?

May 4, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #88,309 of 89,948
I love that Unmumzaan. I’ve been trying with zero luck to find a left hand. Slumming it with the Sebenza in the meantime. What else do you have in your collection?
My collection is too big to list right now. But I have 4 CRKs. All MagnaCut. The Lefty Sebenza is my go-to package/mail opener. It sees the most use of all my knives, by far.

CRK_Collection_03.jpg

I'm really enjoying reading your impressions. Now don't forget those food picts too! 🙂
Thanks! Here's some pork ribs and burnt ends for ya!

JackStack_01.jpg
Nice to hear a comparison of them side by side and interesting to hear than Odin is more transparent and has better detail retrieval! With everything I’ve read I had it in mind that Jewel edges Odin out in both of those regards. If you’d like to make Odin more natural I would recommend a good copper or gold / copper cable…. Currently loving it with Eletech Raphael, preferring it over Chiron.
I do have a gold+copper, I believe. I'll give it a try.

May 4, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #88,310 of 89,948
May 4, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #88,311 of 89,948
Some time in the last 2 days we officially hit 9 million views. That's an epic stat. Props to this being the friendliest, most helpful and altogether healthiest internet community I have ever been priveleged to be a part of.

May 4, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #88,312 of 89,948
I often wonder what today's summit-fi Head-Fiers would think of yesteryear's treasures. Objectively speaking, there is more technology to work with these days in sculpting sound signatures, but there's still some old stuff out that that is very unique. For example, what would people now think of a Tralucent 1p2 with the silver+gold cable? The staging on that thing was insane!
Now you've done it :p. I've just dusted off the Tralucent 1Plus2 but the original silver+gold has been reterminated for my FitEars so the only decent cable I have for 2-pin is the Brise UPG001Ref1 8-wire.

I should have brought the 1+2 along to compare with the 2024 TotLs. Really the 1+2 blew my mind back in the day.

P5040004.jpeg

May 4, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #88,315 of 89,948
May 4, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #88,316 of 89,948
May 4, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #88,319 of 89,948
May 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #88,320 of 89,948
Now you've done it :p. I've just dusted off the Tralucent 1Plus2 but the original silver+gold has been reterminated for my FitEars so the only decent cable I have for 2-pin is the Brise UPG001Ref1 8-wire.

I should have brought the 1+2 along to compare with the 2024 TotLs. Really the 1+2 blew my mind back in the day.

Blast from the past! Yeah... Tralucent did have great IEMs and cables! :)

I remember listening to this off the Bryston BHA-1 and the Cavalli Liquid Gold. And boy did it scale up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back