The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 9, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #88,636 of 89,948
All good, really... I was just curious if anything had changed for you (source or similar), as the differences from the last version are pretty clear.

Please excuse me, it really wasn't meant as criticism, it was just curiosity.
The way I feel on any given day can shuffle my own "ranking list" like a deck of cards. 🤷🏻

May 9, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #88,637 of 89,948
The way I feel on any given day can shuffle my own "ranking list" like a deck of cards. 🤷🏻
Yes, I know what you mean and I feel the same way. If I'm not so fit or I am in a bad mood, I'm not allowed to make decisions about whether I want to buy or sell something, for example.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #88,638 of 89,948
Indeed. There's also recency bias which definitely has a big influence on my own list, along with all the other subjective factors I mentioned previously. Hence why I don't put stock in any "ranking" list anymore.

May 9, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #88,639 of 89,948
Indeed. There's also recency bias which definitely has a big influence on my own list, along with all the other subjective factors I mentioned previously. Hence why I don't put stock in any "ranking" list anymore.
Yes, I understand now and it makes sense, thanks.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #88,640 of 89,948
Please let’s refrain from making statements like this: Music is subjective and because something you like isn’t shared by others doesn’t make them “incapable” to realize how deep it is.
It simply resonates differently with them, if at all.
Thanks. Wanted to say that as well.

May 9, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #88,641 of 89,948
This is why ranking lists shouldn't be taken seriously unless it's your own, and why I don't advertise or talk about my one anymore. I use it purely to track what I've heard, with my music, my preferences, my sources, my ear anatomy, my volume levels, my cables...

If it doesn't make sense to you or you don't agree with it, then maybe its best not to look at it to save you any confusion.
That's why I put IEMs in broad brackets that are "close enough in practice" and only track things like resolution and stage. For things in the same bracket, price/performance ratio sorts the list.

Of course my approach offers no fine-grained ranking for the top-end of the market. But for me, having any one of those TOTL would make my day(s)

(Maybe not certain IEMs, but most would :beyersmile: )

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #88,642 of 89,948
That's why I put IEMs in broad brackets that are "close enough in practice" and only track things like resolution and stage. For things in the same bracket, price/performance ratio sorts the list.

Of course my approach offers to fine-grained ranking to the top-end of the market. But for me, having any one of those TOTL would make my day(s)

(Maybe not certain IEMs, but most would :beyersmile: )
Yeah, I think broader scoring or using tiers rather than ranking points makes more sense. I might end up changing mine to a tier list eventually if I can be bothered.

May 9, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #88,643 of 89,948
I did an A/B test yesterday. I personally would say the U12T has better staging than Anni 2023 :beyersmile: It's like the only thing my precious U12T has left against the onslaught of the Anni 2023. The Anni makes the the "technical performance" of U12T mid-fi. If I don't put them side by side, they are fine, when I compare them side by side, my wallet feels the pain.
My Anni23 coming next month, but I will say I'm yet to hear any IEM (irrespective of price bracket) with better microdynamics and reverb than the u12t. Really miss that about it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #88,644 of 89,948
My Anni23 coming next month, but I will say I'm yet to hear any IEM (irrespective of price bracket) with better macrodynamics and reverb than the u12t. Really miss that about it.
Anni is more dynamic to my ears. This is particularly noticeable when listening to “epic” soundtracks. I guess it’s not quite a fair comparison because U12t is tuned “flat” while Anni would be more like a “v-shaped” IEM. When I move back to U12t from anni, i feel that U12t is too bland. When I move back to Anni again, I feel Anni fatiguing.

I find the stage of U12t with M15 module to be larger, more open, and has more depth than Anni. Anni pushes the layers forward and closer together.

And Anni is pretty large. I find U12t more comfortable, though not much more.

Oh, and if you are annoyed by the cut around 12k followed by a strong peak at 15k by U12t, that problem does not exist with Anni, at least in the way I wear it. Just even, strong extension all the way out. Perhaps filling in that 12kHz hole makes the Anni more detailed but less “3D” i noticed exactly the same situation when comparing U12t and Monarch II.

May 9, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #88,645 of 89,948
This has to be the best tonkotsu ramen I’ve ever had.

IMG_4406.jpeg

The broth has been perpetually cooking for 14 years since this place opened in Sydney, according to legend.

May 9, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #88,646 of 89,948
Anni is more dynamic to my ears. This is particularly noticeable when listening to “epic” soundtracks. I guess it’s not quite a fair comparison because U12t is tuned “flat” while Anni would be more like a “v-shaped” IEM. When I move back to U12t from anni, i feel that U12t is too bland. When I move back to Anni again, I feel Anni fatiguing.

I'm not sure how much this is about flat vs v-shape tuning because to me the u12t is more dynamic than the Volür though the latter has more bass and upper treble.

This song demonstrates the reverb and slam I'm referring to, which the u12t still does best for me:

And the initial portion of this song for the micro and macro dynamics:

May 9, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #88,647 of 89,948
Also good stuff. I might like Key Largo the best.

That album has 40 tracks!
Yeah it's a great listen start to finish. I just kick back & close my eyes. It sounds absolutely phenomenal on the Prestige Ltd (my all time favourite IEMs) & Mojo 2. Its great on other stuff but the combination of thr pitch black background & the 8 EST drivers + the ridiculously good imaging they both bring to the table...

May 9, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #88,648 of 89,948
U12t has to be the most insane IEM in the business, in the sense that nobody seems to agree on how it actually sounds like.

May 9, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #88,649 of 89,948
One of my favorite Quotes

IMG_8894.jpeg

I totally agree with this. Music is organised sound. I used to be a promoter/tour booker & did 1200+ shows. The diversity in what I did was what kept me going. Id sometimes do shows where I knew that even at sold out, Id lose 2000 USD. I was just desperate for that show to happen.

May 9, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #88,650 of 89,948
Questile CMA18 and FiiO K19 in the house. Here are just a few impressions for those who want to know. I don't want to be detailed. Here are some impressions as they came into my head, so they are not systematic, but rather mixed up. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

What makes the N30 so special compared to the CMA18 and K19 is the timbre. Even in SS mode, it is very realistic, lively, vivid and emotional. Bass and mids sound lifelike/authentic, whereas with the others they are comparatively more artificial. Another impressive feature of the N30 is the depth of the stage and general holography. It is clear to hear that the music is multidimensional. I hear a special, unique plasticity, bass and mids stand out. The scene is more forward and this is due to the fact that the N30 has more tone weight. The CMA18 has less weight in the low mids and is brighter in the upper mids. In this respect, the N30 is smoother, but at the same time more detailed in its macrodynamics. In terms of microdynamics, the K19 has the upper hand, but I'm not sure about the CMA18. Perhaps the CMA18 has a little more instrument separation, as the note is not as thick as the N30. There is more space between the instruments compared to the N30, but that would probably be all. The N30 has more texture, especially in the bass and mid range. Taken together, the N30 is absolutely unbeatable for timbre.

Both the CMA18 and the K19 are amazingly good for the price. I bought the K19 for gaming with the PC and Playstation 5. I was very surprised by the technical capabilities of this thing. I really didn't expect anything and I had to realise that it undoubtedly beats the N30 in analytical listening. It reminds me a lot of the DX320Max, but without the weakness/dealbreaker I felt compared to the N30 in terms of bass (little texture), mids (recessed) and stage (narrow). So the K19 definitely has texture in the bass range, the mids are more at the front and the stage is significantly wider than the N30 (but which has more depth). The K19 has less note decay and less fuller low mids than the N30. Both areas can be separated more clearly so that more information can be extracted from the music.

The K19 and N30 are very complementary and per se, i.e. really at a very high level in their respective categories. The K19 wins for neutrality, analyticality and technicality. The N30 wins for musicality, emotionality and immersion. For gaming with the Playstation 5, there is undoubtedly no better device on the market that is UAC 1.0 compatible. In contrast to the N30, the K19 also has no (notably) delay (I'm quite sensitive here), so unfortunately the N30 is not ideal for the PC.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-09 um 11.48.51.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back