Too much competition! What headphones should I get for $100-180?
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #31 of 68
Well, i'm happy to accept Currawong's rebuke and advice, because he was very reasonable and also correct.

For the rest, there is nothing wrong with continuing to evolve with my taste in headphones is there? Even though it is just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.
Anyone could understand that my reviews will be in line with whatever pair of headphones i favour at the time, so that's what i do, and each time i believe that the latest ones i buy are better than the last ones i bought, thus my latest rave will always be the most up-to-date representation of my opinion.
I don't believe i need to go back and delete and edit posts about past headphones, because the review is how i felt at the time and someone out there might find it useful.
Anyone can put a negative or positive spin on anything, even adversaries who want to contradict or denigrate my reviews, but what is truth to me, still remains the truth for me, right? So stop bullying and just respect my right to have an opinion; ganging up on someone is unrighteous, and causes undue angst.

Currawong exhibited a good example of how to be professional, and he did not act like a dictator, so you should follow his example and stop persecuting me.

My current favourite headphone is the Shure SRH-550, which i believe to be better than all previous headphones i have bought. I believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend; these Shure SRH-550's display neutral and clear sound, and are capable of displaying depth and realism in a way that i have not heard any other headphone do, the sound is extremely accurate and 'well-balanced' right across the audio spectrum, especially when i plug them into my new desktop high-end DAC-AMP combination, i play music on them that i am very familiar with, so i am able to judge them with precision. If you were to buy them and wait for 20 hours burn-in, then i suppose that you will come in here and recant your railings at me regarding this pair of headphones.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #32 of 68
Well, i'm happy to accept Currawong's rebuke and advice, because he was very reasonable and also correct.

For the rest, there is nothing wrong with continuing to evolve with my taste in headphones is there? Even though it is just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.
Anyone could understand that my reviews will be in line with whatever pair of headphones i favour at the time, so that's what i do, and each time i believe that the latest ones i buy are better than the last ones i bought, thus my latest rave will always be the most up-to-date representation of my opinion.
I don't believe i need to go back and delete and edit posts about past headphones, because the review is how i felt at the time and someone out there might find it useful.
Anyone can put a negative or positive spin on anything, even adversaries who want to contradict or denigrate my reviews, but what is truth to me, still remains the truth for me, right? So stop bullying and just respect my right to have an opinion; ganging up on someone is unrighteous, and causes undue angst.

Currawong exhibited a good example of how to be professional, and he did not act like a dictator, so you should follow his example and stop persecuting me.

My current favourite headphone is the Shure SRH-550, which i believe to be better than all previous headphones i have bought. I believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend; these Shure SRH-550's display neutral and clear sound, and are capable of displaying depth and realism in a way that i have not heard any other headphone do, the sound is extremely accurate and 'well-balanced' right across the audio spectrum, especially when i plug them into my new desktop high-end DAC-AMP combination, i play music on them that i am very familiar with, so i am able to judge them with precision. If you were to buy them and wait for 20 hours burn-in, then i suppose that you will come in here and recant your railings at me regarding this pair of headphones.

I don't think you understand what either Warren, or Currawong is trying to say.

Its not that you get a new phone and are like " This is better than anything I have ever heard." No you say things like " I believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend" Which is simply misleading because you say this for all of your headphones and you don't own every headphone in the world. Based on your past post in a couple of months you will buy a new headphone and that will get this post " I believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend". Its the way you choose your words that make a difference to someones opinion of you and it could make someone spend money on something they might not even like.

You should stick to saying things like this; Tydus, you should look into the TekNMotion London Undergrounds, they are about 60 bucks and so far the best headphone in the price range that I have heard. They have a open back like sound signature, that gives the headphone a neutral and clear sound. It also has some really punchy bass, alot of clarity in the highs and rich mids that overall leave the headphone balanced. I would say these are better than the M50 in my opinion as I don't own them but my friend does and I have spent a lot of time with the M50, not worth the hype. I honestly think this headphone is way to cheap but it is made of plastic but its durable and portable. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Sorry if I broke the rules and bashed zardak, I hope this doesn't get me banned, however it just seemed like he didn't understand what Warren and Currawong were saying.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:
For the rest, there is nothing wrong with continuing to evolve with my taste in headphones is there?

No, nothing at all. 
smile.gif
  In fact, I believe everyone here would support that.

Quote:
Even though it is just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.

Again, nothing wrong with that.  In fact, much of our knowledge regarding the myriad headphones in existence are based on a subjective consensus of opinions. 

However, in the same way that there's nothing inherently wrong with you having an opinion, there's also nothing wrong with others having an opinion.  I mention this because the first part of your post wasn't to offer a recommendation.  It was to put down others' opinions and recommendations.  Here, let me quote that for the sake of this discussion...

Quote:
Man, you're way off the mark, and there's some old-fashioned fanboys in here who just won't let go of the past, they stick with classics that are not really classics, the Audio technica ATH-M50 is crap, it's OK, but nothing like they hype surrounding it, especially by todays standards. I've owned both the Shure 840 and the 440's and they both suck big time, stop believing the hype man, honestly. Forget V-Moda, they are junk, honestly, i've heard them all, and not just in a horses-for-courses type of way, my ears listen for good balance and accuracy of the overall frequency spectrum.

Here's a good tip:  if you expect others to respect your opinion regardless of whether they agree or disagree, then you might want to try doing the same.  Telling people that they are "way off the mark" or calling people "old-fashioned fanboys" or even telling people that their opinions are uninformed hype is probably not the way to go.  I don't think you would appreciate it if someone said those things to you, so I don't understand why you feel so okay with saying those things to others.

I think now would be a good time to review some of Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines:

Quote:
From the Head-Fi Posting Guidelines /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion. (Examples: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "That's bull****").
Don't take comments personally. Just as music tastes are subjective, so is the equipment used. Much of the subjectiveness is actually a result of the different types of music people like and, consequently, how it plays back through different headphones and other equipment at different volumes.

Quote:
From the Head-Fi Posting Guidelines /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled ones, such as "All people who believe X are deluded.", "All people who can't hear the difference between Y are deluded.", "This will be fine for people without hearing problems." etc. If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person. Likewise, avoid weasel or derogatory words such as shill, fanboy, koolaid, audiophool, snakeoil, placebo etc.

Okay, back to what you were saying...

Quote:

Yes, of course.  And on some level, that is to be expected.  Whether it is the pair we currently own, or a previous pair we've owned in the past, I think we all have our favorites.  So that is completely understandable that you like the pair you currently own. 

But, there is a difference between saying your current pair are better than any previous pair, versus saying that they're better than anything else out there... especially if you haven't heard everything else out there yet.

Quote:
Anyone can put a negative or positive spin on anything, even adversaries who want to contradict or denigrate my reviews, but what is truth to me, still remains the truth for me, right?

Wait a second, what do you mean by adversary?  I don't recall anyone saying that the Shure SRH-550 was bad... much less argue with you about it's merits.  As for me personally, I'm a little more curious about the SRH-550 than I was before.

Quote:
So stop bullying and just respect my right to have an opinion; ganging up on someone is unrighteous, and causes undue angst.

No one is bullying you.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I am simply trying to elevate the standard of this particular discussion.  So again, if you want people to respect your right to have an opinion, you should also respect the opinions of others.  And starting off your recommendation by disrespecting the opinions of the other posters is just kind of uncool (IMO) and hypocritical (also IMO).

Quote:
My current favourite headphone is the Shure SRH-550, which i believe to be better than all previous headphones i have bought. I believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend; these Shure SRH-550's display neutral and clear sound, and are capable of displaying depth and realism in a way that i have not heard any other headphone do, the sound is extremely accurate and 'well-balanced' right across the audio spectrum, especially when i plug them into my new desktop high-end DAC-AMP combination

THAT is a wonderful set of impressions right there.  Thank you for that! 
smile.gif

BTW, I have a quick question about the part where you "believe it will be extremely hard to find a better headphone than this anywhere on the planet, no matter how much you are willing to spend" ... have you ever auditioned the Sennheiser HD 800 or Fostex TH900?  Both of those are generally considered to be pretty darn good around here.  I've heard the HD 800, but not the TH900.

Anyway, just curious to see if you've had a chance to compare the SRH-550 to either the HD 800 or the TH900.  And if so, what are your opinions on those comparisons?  If the SRH-550 is better (or as good) as either of those in terms of displaying "neutral and clear sound" as well as "depth and realism" then that'd be great to know as it would save a lot of people around here a lot of money - myself included of course.

Quote:
If you were to buy them and wait for 20 hours burn-in, then i suppose that you will come in here and recant your railings at me regarding this pair of headphones.

Well, I think that might be a bit of a stretch.  Not everyone will share your preference in terms of signature or performance right?  And because of that, it might be a bit of a leap to say that someone will come in here and recant their railings at you regarding that pair of headphones.  Also, I don't believe that anyone actually railed at you regarding those headphones.

Quote:
Its the way you choose your words that make a difference to someones opinion of you and it could make someone spend money on something they might not even like.

Yes, yes, yes.  Recommending gear is one of the most difficult things to do around here... not because members are inexperienced, but because there is a great deal of responsibility involved.  If the OP purchased the SRH-550 and didn't like it, the OP would have to return it, possibly losing money in shipping expenses and/or restocking fees.  Are you going to take partial responsibility for that?  Would you offer up some compensation for that?

If you are willing to do that, not only for the OP but for anyone that would stumble across this thread in the future and do likewise, then you can say whatever you like regarding the SRH-550, as emphatically as you would prefer to say it.

But if that is not the case, then being a little more careful with a recommendation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world right?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #34 of 68
Man, you're way off the mark, and there's some old-fashioned fanboys in here who just won't let go of the past, they stick with classics that are not really classics, the Audio technica ATH-M50 is crap, it's OK, but nothing like they hype surrounding it, especially by todays standards. I've owned both the Shure 840 and the 440's and they both suck big time, stop believing the hype man, honestly. Forget V-Moda, they are junk, honestly, i've heard them all, and not just in a horses-for-courses type of way, my ears listen for good balance and accuracy of the overall frequency spectrum.
Just recently, after i have bought many pairs of headphones, i bought the Shure SRH550-DJ; you want a nice neutral headphone with excellent frequency balance and accurate bass and exceptional overall clarity, these are it, no joke, don't say you weren't told, they crush the others. Talk about accuracy, just give them 20 hours burn-in and you won't believe your ears, just make sure you amp them for even better sound, but they still sound good without amping which is a bonus.

If you want an alternative, which is also top-notch, the Ultrasone HFI-580, i'm not playing games here man, i have both of these because i kept upgrading my headphones inching ever closer to perfection, these two are as close as you'll get, believe me, not Sennheiser not Grado not nothing can match these two, they are the Bomb. I even done the A/B thing between them for one hour between the latest Beyer&Wilkins (so-called state-of-the-art) and the series II Monster Diamonds (Beats by Dre) and the Shure 550dj beat both of them, i even confirmed it with three friends, they all agreed, the clarity and accuracy of the Shure550 and the Ultrasone HFI580's simply Rocks! Hopefully you will take some good advice and save yourself the time and hassle and money, i've already made all the mistakes, so i have saved you the trouble. Message me if you wish to know more. Cheers.
.thanks man I've been looking for a straightforward answer but tell me what you think about denon's and also if you could which of the two would you choose

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 68
So stop bullying and just respect my right to have an opinion; ganging up on someone is unrighteous, and causes undue angst.

Sure. Everyone has the right to an opinion, but some opinions are necessarily better than others. Respecting someone's right to express an opinion does not mean that no one can disagree with that opinion.

Best to realize how subjective headphone preference is, and how untenable strong claims like the one you made in the beginning of this thread are.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #36 of 68
IMO, for 100-180, I'd honestly just stretch my budget a bit and get the Logitech UE6000. They look pretty sexy, and sound better than the M80 and on par with the Sennheiser Momentum. Keep in mind these impressions were from demoing and I'm just speaking what I remember from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #37 of 68
IMO, for 100-180, I'd honestly just stretch my budget a bit and get the Logitech UE6000. They look pretty sexy, and sound better than the M80 and on par with the Sennheiser Momentum. Keep in mind these impressions were from demoing and I'm just speaking what I remember from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. :)
those headphones are cool looking

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #38 of 68
No, nothing at all.  :smile:   In fact, I believe everyone here would support that.

Again, nothing wrong with that.  In fact, much of our knowledge regarding the myriad headphones in existence are based on a subjective consensus of opinions. 

However, in the same way that there's nothing inherently wrong with you having an opinion, there's also nothing wrong with others having an opinion.  I mention this because the first part of your post wasn't to offer a recommendation.  It was to put down others' opinions and recommendations.  Here, let me quote that for the sake of this discussion...

Here's a good tip:  if you expect others to respect your opinion regardless of whether they agree or disagree, then you might want to try doing the same.  Telling people that they are "way off the mark" or calling people "old-fashioned fanboys" or even telling people that their opinions are uninformed hype is probably not the way to go.  I don't think you would appreciate it if someone said those things to you, so I don't understand why you feel so okay with saying those things to others.

[rule]
I think now would be a good time to review some of Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines:

[rule]
Okay, back to what you were saying...

Yes, of course.  And on some level, that is to be expected.  Whether it is the pair we currently own, or a previous pair we've owned in the past, I think we all have our favorites.  So that is completely understandable that you like the pair you currently own. 

But, there is a difference between saying your current pair are better than any previous pair, versus saying that they're better than anything else out there... especially if you haven't heard everything else out there yet.

Wait a second, what do you mean by adversary?  I don't recall anyone saying that the Shure SRH-550 was bad... much less argue with you about it's merits.  As for me personally, I'm a little more curious about the SRH-550 than I was before.

No one is bullying you.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I am simply trying to elevate the standard of this particular discussion.  So again, if you want people to respect your right to have an opinion, you should also respect the opinions of others.  And starting off your recommendation by disrespecting the opinions of the other posters is just kind of uncool (IMO) and hypocritical (also IMO).

All of this. +100 If you want respect you must also show it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #39 of 68
All of this. +100 If you want respect you must also show it.

Won't happen here. His last response demonstrates more of the same. All you can do is: :rolleyes:

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

From the Head-Fi Posting Guidelines 

Curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion. (Examples: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "That's bull****").

Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled ones.

On the other hand on one popular Members' Lounge thread I was called a troll, a circus bear, a lunatic and I can continue describing dishonest polemics by one extremely arrogant person. Nobody there found any fault in such behavior. 

Suddenly a guy who is throwing some arrogant bravado phrases becomes an enemy of community

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:
On the other hand on one popular Members' Lounge thread I was called a troll, a circus bear, a lunatic and I can continue describing dishonest polemics of one extremely arrogant person. Nobody there found any fault in such behavior. 

Wow, that bad?  I'm not sure I was around then.  I was pretty busy during the holidays, then CES, then got crazy sick for almost a month after CES.  So I'm afraid that I might have missed some of that drama.  But FWIW, a couple of people did get banned as a result of some crazy remarks there.

Quote:

Suddenly a guy who is throwing some arrogant bravado phrases becomes an enemy of community

Well, zardak's not anyone's enemy here.  We don't want him gone, or quiet, just a little more careful. 
smile.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #42 of 68
The way i see it, zardak is either :

1. Haven't or never listen to other headphones
2. He/she is pretty stubborn, so he/she legitimates his/her reviews onto people without any proper knowledge what so ever about other headphones

The choices are : is to ignore

Sorry if my post is annoying.. I'm just saying.. because it's getting obnoxious

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #43 of 68
lol i'm not an expert on head-fi etiquette, but it just seems like zardak is just extremely passionate about his headphones & his reviews/recommendations reflect that passion.

while his opinions may not be as constant as other members, it's true that preferences evolve as you try new gear. perhaps he overstates the sonic superiority of certain headphones as he tries them, but I've actually noticed that to be a very common trend around head-fi as people here obviously get a bit overexcited when trying new headphones.

it's natural to stumble through a lot of conflicting and changing opinions here on head-fi (especially when people have so many different backgrounds and sonic preferences), so if you are looking for recommendations here, you should take what people say here with a grain of salt & try things for yourself. it's kinda like going to a candy store and asking the kids which candy is the best. =P

at the end of the day, everyone here is just looking for headphones that excites them & want to share their experiences when they find something exhilarating :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #44 of 68
[Mod Edit: Please don't bring political discussion on to the forums, thanks.]

The thing is that many here are talking about me wanting respect for my opinions, they don't seem to understand that i don't want anyone's respect, i want the right to speak my mind, because i respect anyone who speaks their mind; i'm a straight shooter and respect others who also are such, THAT'S WHAT I RESPECT! And yet i also respect people who state their opinions in a very polite manner, i greatly respect that also, the only thing i don't respect is direct personal attacks with foul language, and i have never ever done that in here unless someone had a go at me first out of sheer rivalry and took offense to my personal opinions.

Other than that i can see there are some reasonable people in here who are mature minded, that's fair enough, i like that, Peace on earth! BUT DON'T TRY AND TELL ME 'HOW' TO SAY SOMETHING! Go find a murderer instead and put him on death-row, i'm not interested in walking on egg shells, just speak your damn mind, i wanna hear if you believe an opinion is sheer crap, tell me, i wanna hear it.

Now to answer the important question from warrenpchi... in the past i have listened 'carefully' to the Sennheiser HD800, and guess what? Don't even bother, honestly, they are a load of junk, sheer junk, i couldn't believe after listening to them how ordinary they were, i was standing there sniggering to myself about all the pretentious garbage surrounding such headphones, and the Fostex are not much better; i even listened carefully to the top-of-the-line KRK range (That company specializes in Studio Monitors and monitoring headphones) and boy oh boy, it seems to me that these companies don't know what they are doing. You tell me, how can we have so many hundreds of headphones out there, and yet there is only one true form of accuracy to represent the original source sound, so how can they all be good, no way, i'm not interested in this or that attribute of a headphone, I JUST WANT 'ACCURACY" simple, so that's what i look for when auditioning any headphone. I've said it once and i'll say it again, i have listened to nearly every lauded headphone out there, the Grados, the Sennheisers, the Denon's, the Beyer&Wilkins P5, plus any and everything ever lauded, and very few of them approach perfection, practically none of them to date, the best three i recommend for the closest to perfection that i have heard is the Ultrasone HFI 580, the Skull-Candy 'Aviator' and the Shure SRH 550, the rest can go jump in the lake where they belong.

And for some reason i can't understand a lot of times why the cheaper headphone in any companies headphone-range sounds better than their higher priced ones, but i have found that to be the case many times.

The Skull Candy Aviator is just sheer class without  any obvious fault with a very clear and detailed sound and nice accurate bass, and the Shures, well you already know what i've said about the Shures, they just stand head&heels above anything i've heard.
They edge-out the Ultrasones for overall transparency, and they have that little bit more 'unknown factor' than the Skull Candy Aviators that endears them to my taste, and thus where my personal preference comes into it. Oh, i better not forget...IMO.

And for the record, just to reiterate, i'm listening to the Shure 550's right now through my high-end desktop DAC-AMP combo and have been swapping back and forth between my other 3 headphones while writing this review (I gave all my other ones away when i felt i had superseded them), and yes, the Shure's are nothing short of brilliant, i simply cannot believe what i am hearing, there's no way that an uncompressed 16bit sound source has anything more to give, not to mention the depth i'm hearing. Just grab them guys, how can it be a risk when they only cost $100, there is no risk, give them 20 hours burn-in and make sure to pump them through a good amp, and really, you will be glad, and i can state unequivocally that no matter what you try to buy in the future, you'll keep coming back to the Shure 550. But there may be other tastes out there that i think will definitely appreciate the Denon D1100's if you like weighty bass with clear mids and highs with excellent overall detail, but on the other hand the Ultrasone 580 is just all attitude with class to boot while still being detailed and well balanced, so there you have the zenith of my 2 cents up till now. Good luck! And don't hold me responsible for what you choose to buy if you follow my advice, my opinion is simply that, my opinion, but i do say it the most honest and descriptively accurate way i can.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #45 of 68
Other than that i can see there are some reasonable people in here who also are mature minded, that's fair enough, i like that, Peace on earth! BUT DON'T TRY AND TELL ME 'HOW' TO SAY SOMETHING! Go find a murder instead and put him on death-row, i'm not interested in walking on egg shells, just speak your damn mind, i wanna hear if you believe an opinion is sheer crap, tell me, i wanna hear it.

Now to answer the important question from warrenpchi... in the past i have listened 'carefully' to the Sennheiser HD800, and guess what? Don't even bother, honestly, they are a load of junk, sheer junk, i couldn't believe after listening to them how ***** they were, i was standing there sniggering to myself about all the pretentious garbage surrounding such headphones, and the Fostex are not much better; i even listened carefully to the top-of-the-line KRK range (That company specializes in Studio Monitors and monitoring headphones) and boy oh boy, it seems to me that these companies don't know what they are doing. You tell me, how can we have so many hundreds of headphones out there, and yet there is only one true form of accuracy to represent the original source sound, so how can they all be good, no way, i'm not interested in this or that attribute of a headphone, I JUST WANT 'ACCURACY" simple, so that's what i look for when auditioning any headphone. I've said it once and i'll say it again, i have listened to nearly every lauded headphone out there, the Grados, the Sennheisers, the Denon's, the Beyer&Wilkins P5, plus any and everything ever lauded, and very few of them approach perfection, practically none of them to date, the best three i recommend for the closest to perfection that i have heard is the Ultrasone HFI 580, the Skull-Candy 'Aviator' and the Shure SRH 550, the rest can go jump in the lake where they belong.

Frankly, even though everyone is entitled to their opinions (they're like bungholes and everyone has one), I find it very difficult to take anyone seriously who makes comments like that. While I'm not on the "HD800s are the greatest cans on Earth" bandwagon, they aren't "junk" or "garbage". You're simply trying to illicit angry responses, IMO, and that's not something Head-Fi takes lightly, from what I've witnessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back