Topping A30Pro
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Lolito

Banned
Thread dedicated to this upcoming amp from Topping. This is supposed to be like an A90, measures just as good, same input output in theory. Pre-amp outputs are 1/4 inch now, rather than 3 pin. Probably to save space. I think we will see this often in balanced devices that want to go small. SP phonitor or scarlet audio interfaces already using these. Stacks with D30Pro dac.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 20.08.11.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 20.06.05.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 20.06.52.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 20.07.02.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 20.05.25.jpg

Photos are from audiosiciencereview.com, L7 measurements lab and topping. Links:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-a30pro-review-balanced-headphone-amp.20366/
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-topping-a30pro-headphoneamp(prototype)/
https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/topping-at-cihe-guangzhou-2020

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 69
No photos of the inside yet. Probably the potentiometer is as bad and cheap as in the A90 and A50. It's funny this ASR people, and then some manufacturers producing what measures better, not what sounds better. Something similar happens in cycling between german magazine Tour, and german bike brand Canyon; product designed to measure best, not to ride the best.

Or is it that clean pure sound, specially when source is digital, if it's clean it is tiring to the ear? maybe coloured, filtered, a tiny bit shaded or veiled sound is obviusly less pure but more friendly for the ear, more natural sound... ?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 69
No photos of the inside yet. Probably the potentiometer is as bad and cheap as in the A90 and A50. It's funny this ASR people, and then some manufacturers producing what measures better, not what sounds better. Something similar happens in cycling between german magazine Tour, and german bike brand Canyon; product designed to measure best, not to ride the best.

Or is it that clean pure sound, specially when source is digital, if it's clean it is tiring to the ear? maybe coloured, filtered, a tiny bit shaded or veiled sound is obviusly less pure but more friendly for the ear, more natural sound... ?
Maybe its more transparent and expose weaknesses in source and headphones themselves. Class a or tubes are not linear and have colorations and this can please listeners who listen with crappy usb ports and have headphones that have no bass at all.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 69
I like both the pure clean sound of op amps but I also like the mild distortion of tubes too.

Tubes amps are actually my favorite but I like to alternate back and forth with tubes and the op amp units. Kind of like enjoying two different cultures

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 69
aparently it is not real balanced, only the connections, and then the outputs are pass through balanced from inputs.

May 4, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 69
Anyone have an opinion whether this amp or a bottlehead crack with speedball would be a better match for my beyerdynamic t1 gen 2 headphones? The bottlehead crack with speedball would be a local sale and only costs 350. Looks like a good build too.

May 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 69
Anyone have an opinion whether this amp or a bottlehead crack with speedball would be a better match for my beyerdynamic t1 gen 2 headphones? The bottlehead crack with speedball would be a local sale and only costs 350. Looks like a good build too.
Bottle head will be a better pairing, but l30 will give good sound too in much smaller size, less waiting time and heat generated, cheaper too

May 4, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 69
Bottle head will be a better pairing, but l30 will give good sound too in much smaller size, less waiting time and heat generated, cheaper too
I already have a magni3+ so I feel like the topping l30 would be more of a lateral move and not an upgrade. I'm tempted to get the bottlehead crack but the flexibility of the topping A30pro is kind of appealing. Not sure yet which way to go. I figure for the price of the bottlehead crack, I could probably sell it easily enough if I don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back