Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #316 of 506
Hi bifcake and sajunky, I thank you both for your insights!

In my opinion bifcake did nothing wrong by answering what I was asking for. If I would have gotten only your answer about asio4all I wouldn't have been satisfied. I was specifically interested in the best compromise solution within Windows 10.

Your insights could be described as supplementary information, that doesn't make it less valuable though. I really appreciate it. Also I understand your point that you can attempt to estimate the lack of knowledge and offer the best advice possible, but disregarding the original question completely is never recommend I think.

However you cannot force other members to think and act the same as you do. You have that quality described above to add supplementary information, but not everyone has it or sees the added value of it.

@bifcake, do you choose '2 channels, 24 bits', or '2 channels, 32 bits' within the topping driver? I feel like '24 bit, 96000 hz' within Windows 10 doesn't match nice with that Topping setting. So I was thinking about setting '32 bit, 96000 hz' in Windows and '2 channels, 32 bits' in the Topping driver... so at leats the 32 bit matches... or doesn't this make sense?

@sajunky, I do wonder now, how should you use asio4all together with the ASIO capability already within the Topping driver? Sometimes I want to have music in the background while playing a game for example. To my understanding asio4all would not allow the ingame audio to come through... therefore I was thinking about using the best Windows setting for usage where audio quality is less important (YouTube, games, random appilcations), and use Foobar with the Topping ASIO driver to listen to music when I feel dedicated to enjoy the best audio possible. If asio4all can help me with this usecase I'm all ears.

Btw, I hope you two forgive each other!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #317 of 506
Hi bifcake and sajunky, I thank you both for your insights!

In my opinion bifcake did nothing wrong by answering what I was asking for. If I would have gotten only your answer about asio4all I wouldn't have been satisfied. I was specifically interested in the best compromise solution within Windows 10.

Your insights could be described as supplementary information, that doesn't make it less valuable though. I really appreciate it. Also I understand your point that you can attempt to estimate the lack of knowledge and offer the best advice possible, but disregarding the original question completely is never recommend I think.

However you cannot force other members to think and act the same as you do. You have that quality described above to add supplementary information, but not everyone has it or sees the added value of it.

@bifcake, do you choose '2 channels, 24 bits', or '2 channels, 32 bits' within the topping driver? I feel like '24 bit, 96000 hz' within Windows 10 doesn't match nice with that Topping setting. So I was thinking about setting '32 bit, 96000 hz' in Windows and '2 channels, 32 bits' in the Topping driver... so at leats the 32 bit matches... or doesn't this make sense?

@sajunky, I do wonder now, how should you use asio4all together with the ASIO capability already within the Topping driver? Sometimes I want to have music in the background while playing a game for example. To my understanding asio4all would not allow the ingame audio to come through... therefore I was thinking about using the best Windows setting for usage where audio quality is less important (YouTube, games, random appilcations), and use Foobar with the Topping ASIO driver to listen to music when I feel dedicated to enjoy the best audio possible. If asio4all can help me with this usecase I'm all ears.

I have tried 32 bit 96k setting and I thought the 24 bit was the same, perhaps just a smudge better. Another thing is that I haven't been able to get ASIO4All to recognize Topping. I'll play with it to see if I can get it resolved, but ASIO4All has always been a royal pain with regard to getting it to work in the first place and stability thereafter.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #318 of 506
I have tried 32 bit 96k setting and I thought the 24 bit was the same, perhaps just a smudge better. Another thing is that I haven't been able to get ASIO4All to recognize Topping. I'll play with it to see if I can get it resolved, but ASIO4All has always been a royal pain with regard to getting it to work in the first place and stability thereafter.

So you have '2 channels, 24 bits' as output within the topping driver?

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #319 of 506

It is obvious that silly bickering must stop before getting any serious discussion. Once the respondent stops trying to correct my posts (which appear it will happen) we can continue.

I did write about asio4all in response to your comment that not all application recognise ASIO driver. It installs virtual device driver that emulate any driver name you like and redirect output to the ASIO driver.

You also wanted to go above 192kHz, so now I think it is clear that Direct Sound driver stack (Windows mixer) hit the wall. If you are happy with ASIO, then fine, but there is an alternative. To be honest, I haven't try it yet, having only few tracks 192kHz in my library and nothing above, but you can try. It is called WASAPI. Application must be designed to use this interface. Foobar does. At the moment more and more application use WASAPI, it can be a way to break 192kHz barrier, but as I said on the beginning, I didn't try.

There are two modes of WASAPI: exclusive and shared. The latest version of Foobar use WASAPI shared by default. It is a hook to the Direct Sound, so I think it will hit the same barrier. The only chance to jump above 192kHz is by using WASAPI exclusive mode. It is also the best option for a maximum sound quality (bit-perfect transfers), similar to ASIO, it is now a recommended output. It has to be enabled in the Windows Control Panel for your sound device to enable application to grab exclusive control over device. On the application side too. I think Foobar still needs to load WASAPI exclusive mode extension, check it out.

I didn't go carefully through your latest update, but it is clear that if you want to hear some music while playing games, WASAPI shared is the way to go. When you want listen with a maximum sound quality, enable WASAPI exclusive mode playback in the application. Windows settings for enabling application to take exclusive access (along with maximum priority) should be always enabled.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #322 of 506
Under the topping setting, you can only change it with the topping asio driver for a particular player.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #324 of 506
Do you mean all those Topping settings under the system tray are only active for Football or JRiver output? All other sound is using windows settings?
The Topping settings under the system tray don't allow me to change the upsampling rate. When I use Foobar or Jriver, I use the asio driver for those apps.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #325 of 506
The Topping settings under the system tray don't allow me to change the upsampling rate. When I use Foobar or Jriver, I use the asio driver for those apps.

True, sample rate comes from Windows, see below screenshot where ASIO is active with Foobar. Just not sure if I should have safe mode turned on?
Screenshot 2020-12-23 162004.png

But looks like you can chance between 24 bits and 32 bits for the output, see below. So I'm keeping that the same as in Windows.
Screenshot 2020-12-23 162102.png

My windows settings:
Screenshot 2020-12-23 162342.png

Are below Foobar settings okay?
1608737398353.png

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #326 of 506
True, sample rate comes from Windows, see below screenshot where ASIO is active with Foobar. Just not sure if I should have safe mode turned on?

But looks like you can chance between 24 bits and 32 bits for the output, see below. So I'm keeping that the same as in Windows.

My windows settings:

Are below Foobar settings okay?
My topping control panel looks different, but the Foobar looks the same.

For Foobar playback, I prefer to set PCM to DSD Method: SDM Type C
FS: DSD 512. If that doesn't work well, set the FS: to 128

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #327 of 506
There is a lot of discussion in the last few pages of this thread on the E30 DAC. I come to this thread to read comments on the L30 amp and it is a bit mucked up with off topic posts. Why not discuss the E30 in the thread for it in the dedicated source components section? Not trying to be a jerk, I promise... :relaxed:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-e30-dac-preamp.940093/

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #328 of 506
There is a lot of discussion in the last few pages of this thread on the E30 DAC. I come to this thread to read comments on the L30 amp and it is a bit mucked up with off topic posts. Why not discuss the E30 in the thread for it in the dedicated source components section? Not trying to be a jerk, I promise... :relaxed:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-e30-dac-preamp.940093/
I think people post here accidentally about the E30, thinking that this is an E30 forum and then the discussion takes a life of its own..

BTW, the L30 is great! I love it! That's all you need to know! :D

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #329 of 506
Hello everyone

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the e30/l30 stack, which i will use to drive the sennheiser hd6xx (are on it's way).

Now i am not a very savvy person, so i have a few questions regarding connection and operation, which maybe someone can answer :)

Connecting the 2 is with rca cables. Are there any specific cables i should buy, or any will do?

I want to use it with a Linux PC/Server which is always turned on. Playing on mopidy mostly flacs/dsd and spotify premium and tidal: how long is the included usb cable that connects to the PC?

Are there any known issues with noise/hissing when connected to PC?

To connect the Smartphone i need a cable like this right? https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B08J...rds=usb+c+usb+b+b+cable&qid=1608767456&sr=8-6

Sorry about all the questions and thanks a lot

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #330 of 506
Connecting the 2 is with rca cables. Are there any specific cables i should buy, or any will do?
If you stack them I would buy RCA cables max 20 cm long. I got Straight wire cables, very nice. Schiit sells them too: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California I also know a shop in the Netherlands that sells them: Straightwire rca set - Hifi Studio 79

I want to use it with a Linux PC/Server which is always turned on. Playing on mopidy mostly flacs/dsd and spotify premium and tidal: how long is the included usb cable that connects to the PC?
Cable from E30 to PC is about 1 meter I would guess.

Are there any known issues with noise/hissing when connected to PC?
Zero noise here. Absolute darkness.

DAC has USB Type-B input and your phone probably USB Type-C. If you're in doubt: Identifying your USB connector | CMD (cmd-ltd.com)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back