total airhead - ok for hd600? ac power?
Aug 19, 2001 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lucien

100+ Head-Fier
just wondering if the total airhead can take ac power, and if so what sort of power cord/adapter/converter would be required to make that sucker run both in the us and in australia?

anyone know? oh, and does it drive the hd600 well at all? i was going for the supreme, but my budget just took a nose dive, and i'm now looking at porta corda and total airhead. any thoughts?

luce

Aug 19, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 11
The TA can run off AC power with a wall wart, but as far as what you'ld need for Australia.......no idea.
As far as driving the Senn 600s, I'd say that it can, but how well is a judgement you would have to make. I would say that the TA most definitely drives them better than straight out of a portable, or any receiver jack I have. It gives them a much richer, fuller sound. Is it as good as the Creek or HG Head? Nope.
Personally, I would wait for the Porta Corda to see what it can do.
Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 11
Lucien,

Hey I've had to buy Wall Warts for my various product reviews. I don't know about how they would sound with your Porta Corda or TA but you can get good units (in terms of specifications) from:

http://www.jaycar.com.au

A variable 1A plugpack costs $46 by memory. If you'd like a more serious supply you could check out:

http://www.synergy-audio.com

They sell the Creek Power supplies, if your particular amp choice is compatible with the Creek Power Supply then you're in luck.

Hope this helps!

Aug 28, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Lucien, I tried once to drive my HD 580 that has the same specifications of the HD 600 in terms of sensitivity, and impedance, with a Total Airhead, and I can tell you that it can drive them well at low volume, if you try to turn the volume up
it will experience some clipping. Believe me I hate HIGH LEVELS of volume......and if the combo TA+HD580 did not satisfy me........that means that it wasn't loud enough for a mid volume lover.
See most of the small portable amps are more suitable to drive low impedance headphones, so I give you a hint, Headroom is still selling OLD Supremes for 299 I think.....don't you think is a good deal? The new one costs 399, and it's on SALE!!!

Aug 28, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 11
CTN,

Jaycar speakers are meant to be good for the money. Most of their speakers are sold as kits and include quality components eg. Audax/Response woofers/cones.

Keep in mind you'll have to DIY though. The kits often include everything including the cabinets but the cabinets are usually unfinished MDF. They need a bit of painting/veneer/carpeting whatever your choice may be...

Aug 28, 2001 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 11
kewl btw do u know ne places that review them?
ive been searching and cant find ne
frown.gif

i just want to know how they compare to the reputable brands

thinking of getting a rega amp for it

Aug 28, 2001 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 11
CTN,

This talk is rather off topic but you can find reviews of their products in "Electronics Australia." Here is a quote from one of the reviews (I've only got the Jaycar catologue. I don't buy EA so take it with a grain of salt.)

JC-50 10" 3 way speaker kit:
"The JC-50's sound very good indeed. This is not a statement given lightly either. The sound is consistent and balanced over a wide range of listening angles. The treble range is very extended and detailed, while the low end delivers a nice degree of low end "punch" without sounding lean or soggy. This all adds up to a speaker system that's very enjoyable to listen to over it's full power range, with no sign of listening fatigue. You'd normally pay thousands of dollars for that privelage."

The JC-50 kit is $799 inc two pre-built cabinets of high quality MDF finished in black grey oak, speaker grille cloth pre-mounted on remocvable frames. See Jaycar's web page for the JC-50's full specs...

Hope this helps. I honestly don't know much about Jaycar's range so I can't really help you too much. Drop in for an audition they're happy to help!

Aug 29, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Great thanx Evilcthul

im trying to build a cheap 5 star system hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back