Trading ESW9's for Grados, Suggestions?
Jun 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Butler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering trading my super mint condition ESW9's and their 50$ hard shell case for a pair of Grados. I'm looking to explore other brands besides my safe haven of audio technica. What would be a reasonable trade for these phones? They're roughly valued at 250 dollars. 

Would it be unreasonable to ask for SR325is? Is there wooden grados at this price range? I'd rather not go with the plastic ones. I'm looking for larger ones with bowl pads, perhaps the size of the ESW9's but no smaller. Any help would be appreciated. I know a ton about AT's cans but nearly nothing about any other brands.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 16
The only difference between the metal/wood/plastic bowls is the harshness of the highs.

With the plastic, is about in the middle of the chart
Metal is placed high with the harsh
and Wood is more rounded and smoother

And yes, it's too much to ask more then what your headphones are worth. Ask for about $220

A pair of SR225i with G-cush pads would be a nice trade. But then asking for SR325i would be too high.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 16

DONT DO IT!!! YOU'LL HATE YOURSELF IN THE MORNIN'!!!
No really have you tried Ultrasone or Sennheiser, what about some Sony offerings?

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:

DONT DO IT!!! YOU'LL HATE YOURSELF IN THE MORNIN'!!!
No really have you tried Ultrasone or Sennheiser, what about some Sony offerings?

I value your opinion because you own T50RP's, but switching to Grado is like a midlife crisis. If you didn't do it early in your life, you must do it at some point in time.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 16
Damn,,, good point, in that case he should go ahead...
The T50RP's are quite awesome, mine are unmodded and I'm blown away how good they are for $70, I just got the MDR-V6 a few days ago, impressed from the moment I hit PLAY

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Damn,,, good point, in that case he should go ahead...
The T50RP's are quite awesome, mine are unmodded and I'm blown away how good they are for $70, I just got the MDR-V6 a few days ago, impressed from the moment I hit PLAY

V6 vs T50Rp is like comparing an ant to Miss universe

I find the V6 to be good flat headphones and good for producing and gaming, I use mine for gaming

But a modded T50RP are godly at $75

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm a bit of a sony fan, my all time favorite cans are the CD2000's, these V6's aren't TOO far off, but I can't bring myself to unbox my backup pair of CD2k's I know someone who has a pair, I MUST HAVE THEM!

@ OP
SR325i's?

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
The only difference between the metal/wood/plastic bowls is the harshness of the highs.

With the plastic, is about in the middle of the chart
Metal is placed high with the harsh
and Wood is more rounded and smoother

And yes, it's too much to ask more then what your headphones are worth. Ask for about $220

A pair of SR225i with G-cush pads would be a nice trade. But then asking for SR325i would be too high.

Actually, the sr325is has plastic on the inner circumference of the metal cups. So it's pretty much plastic too. I'd say that that it's the drivers, not the metal that contributes to its sound (this is the only case though, the wood cup grados are pure wood). 

Edit: ESW9 is known to be a laid back and dark headphone. Grados are pretty much the complete opposite, being aggressive and sorta bright. Both sound signatures are fine but be prepared to make that transition as you may not like it at first. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 16
I don't respect or like Sony as a company and would never purchase any of their headphones, just as I would never really purchase any of their products. I'm really just interested in taking one step at a time and exploring grados based off ones I've used and their pros and cons which I've read about here on the forums.

Perhaps I could ask for the SR325i if I threw like 30 bucks on top or something. I'm really not interested in any of the plastic models, perhaps 225's maybe if they had some wooden cup mods but I think I would prefer stock because of the price. I'm looking for either metal or wood, and something medium to large.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Actually, the sr325is has plastic on the inner circumference of the metal cups. So it's pretty much plastic too. I'd say that that it's the drivers, not the metal that contributes to its sound (this is the only case though, the wood cup grados are pure wood). 

Edit: ESW9 is known to be a laid back and dark headphone. Grados are pretty much the complete opposite, being aggressive and sorta bright. Both sound signatures are fine but be prepared to make that transition as you may not like it at first. 

Yeah I have my aggressive and brights covered with the W5ks, Ever since I got my Pro5MK2's my ESW9's have been kind of replaced as my out and about headphones whereas the pro5mk2's are very fun DJ cans and the ESW9's are more serious.

[/size]

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 16
^if you don't mind me asking, what did Sony do to piss you off? I've never had any problems with Sony or any of my equipment, they always took care of me...

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 16
This is my twisted opinion first of all. I don't really respect Sony because they have their hands in so many different areas of electronics and they don't really do anything terribly well. They don't specialize in anything. For example, I do event photography and I have used and worked with Sony cameras and they're terrible. Playstations? Terrible. Developing for the Play Station? Even worse. Their computers? Used to be pretty decent, now they're pretty terrible. They're the reason blu-rays are the dominant format when they're a considerablely more expensive. The cons with blu-ray out the pros. 

Oh yeah, and not a fan of their headphones.

I wish Sony would just try to calm down and specialize in one or a couple of things instead of doing a bunch of things mediocre-ly.

But. Im not looking for a fight or a debate. I'm probably wrong and I'm sure they're nice guys. You just asked. Now to keep the topic on.. topic.

ESW9's for Grados. Brainstorm my head-fi minions! Options options!

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 16
R10's Qualia's yep, nothing well at all.
I used a Sony DSC-R1 for Event/ Graduation photography for 5 years, no problems at all.
I don't mind hating stuff, but I need personal experience before I commit to hating something

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
This is my twisted opinion first of all. I don't really respect Sony because they have their hands in so many different areas of electronics and they don't really do anything terribly well. They don't specialize in anything. For example, I do event photography and I have used and worked with Sony cameras and they're terrible. Playstations? Terrible. Developing for the Play Station? Even worse. Their computers? Used to be pretty decent, now they're pretty terrible. They're the reason blu-rays are the dominant format when they're a considerablely more expensive. The cons with blu-ray out the pros. 

Oh yeah, and not a fan of their headphones.

I wish Sony would just try to calm down and specialize in one or a couple of things instead of doing a bunch of things mediocre-ly.

But. Im not looking for a fight or a debate. I'm probably wrong and I'm sure they're nice guys. You just asked. Now to keep the topic on.. topic.

ESW9's for Grados. Brainstorm my head-fi minions! Options options!

I love Sony

1. Sony cameras, especially SLR or DSLR cameras are better left to anyone else. I have a Sony point and shoot and love it.

2. PS3 is the most advanced console out there, I don't like them also, but I would buy one if I went Bluray

3. Bluray is a marketing gimmick, like Hi def, "Yeah, I like to watch the pimples on weather man's face in the morning, that's why I need Hi Def."

4. Sony produced the world's greatest headphones, OPINION, the Sony MDR-R10. There's a review somewhere around here saying they are the most balanced and "perfected" headphones out there. Too lazy to search.

5. I love Sony's cables! The soft texture, no folding or crimping and never tangle.

I still uphold my original point. It's hard to find a pair of Grados at $200, and someone to trade their grado's are harder to find. I would never part with my grado. Even if they broke, I would replant the drivers into something else. Try to put up trade in the Headphone area and see what comes up. Take nice pictures and detail every scratch and dent, if any.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 16
Like I said they're pretty virgin… As in… I bought an invisible shield and custom cut it to cover the wood. Yeah.

Maybe I'll take a 225 with some pad options or a after market headband. Thanks for the input guys.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Like I said they're pretty virgin… As in… I bought an invisible shield and custom cut it to cover the wood. Yeah.

Maybe I'll take a 225 with some pad options or a after market headband. Thanks for the input guys.

Still feel like a virgin...I like it. If you bought them from an authorized dealer and no scratches, no dings, dents  ( I am a sick SOB when come to audio gear in term of cosmetic). PM for the "low price" plus my T 20RP which also is like  a virgin ( I hate them muffled sound from day one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back