Trouble when ripping CDs - oscillating pitches
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BBEG

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I'm starting to rip my CDs into FLAC files using both foobar2000 and Winamp. The final result starts to sound nice, but there are definite oscillations in pitch and volume in parts of songs. I have no idea why this would be. I'm positive I'm following the instructions correctly in both programs.

Ideas?

Relevant equipment: AMD Phenom X4 955e motherboard, FiiO E6 amp, Samson SR850 headphones, cheap*** CD drive in the computer, and a ton of 5+ year old CDs with varying levels of wear.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 9
That sounds rather strange: my only advice would be to use something like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to ensure you get a perfect rip. It can even compare your rip to a database to check its integrity. It's also free!

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 9
EAC does not want to work on my computer (Win 7, 64-bit). It installs fine but in running gives me an "Access Violation" error.

This is the God of Torrents punishing me for my lack of piety.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Bit of an update.

I notice when plugging the headphones into the motherboard's audio jack directly, the oscillation is significantly reduced but still present. I'm going to see if EAC will work on my laptop since it won't play nice with my desktop and see if the same oscillation is noticed in the other computer.

Right now I have two hypotheses: hardware quirks on my end (specifically the mobo and Fiio E6), or software (downloading bad FLAC rips, getting bad FLAC rips when using non-EAC-like software).

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Another update.

My laptop won't run EAC either. My brother's computer will, though, and to the best of my knowledge produces a faithful representation of the tested album (Shinedown's "Leave a Whisper"). The SR850 + E6 combo did not appear to show any of the oscillations I described earlier.

Soft conclusion: Foobar and other programs simply don't rip as nicely into FLAC as EAC does and the headphones + amp are only highlighting this via the distortions described.

Of the programs listed in the earlier link, dBpoweramp looks to be the only viable alternative to EAC (not using a Mac). Does it compare favorably with EAC for quality of rips? Is the trial (free) version up to snuff or do I need to go full bore with the paid version?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Make sure you setup AccurateRip. As long as your rips come back as accurate you are good to go. Both EAC and DBpoweramp have this. The DBpoweramp trial is the full program, but only lasts for 21 days.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 9
To clarify, I can't. EAC doesn't work on my computers at all, so I can't adjust settings. Foobar is the only tool I have right now that rips into lossless and it has (unfortunately) sucked at it. The only options I seem to have are A) bum time from my brother (unlikely), B) figure out why EAC isn't working, or C) buy DBpoweramp because I'll definitely need it for more than 21 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back