Truthear Impressions/Discussion
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 215

helloh3adfi

1000+ Head-Fier
Truthear already released a second IEM and I still see no thread. Here it is!

Showcases:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/truthear-zero.25967/
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/truthear-hexa-4-driver-hybrid-iem.26189/

11824408.png

1667389609-Photo10-2048x1366.jpg

So while the Zeros are hyped af on Audio Science Review almost nobody cares about the new Hexas. But hey, I care about them - and folks in the discovery thread!

I had the Zeros in my ears. Yeah they sound exciting and a bit too shouty. That's what to expect when an IEM aims the Harman target. Though I couldn't stand the nozzles. They're too damn thick - about 7 mm. The comfort just wasn't for me. The waifu looks not that bad, but not great either.

Then came the Hexas and wow! The waifu looks more refined. Do they sound as good as the waifu looks? You bet they do. More on the neutral side. That's good as it means less fatigue. The even better part is about the nozzle which shrinked to 6 mm. I can wear them for hours and indulge in music.

11918774.png

Other stuff

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/truthear-hola.26268/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/truthear-shio.26269/

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 215
Since the tonal balance of the HEXAs are rather neutral, at times I want a bass boost. So far I came up with 2 bass EQs:

50 Hz; LS; 0,7 Q; -2 dB
150 Hz; LS; 0,7 Q; +4 dB (3 dB is also enough)

105 Hz; Pk; 1,3 Q; +4 dB

Each with -6 dB input gain. The first EQ got more bass overall and warmth. Any more ideas for good bass shelves?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 215
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already. Their first two releases have already been stellar.
The Zero is great for $20. I have to always remind myself that if you decide to forget your IEMs and buy earphones at the airport, you're not getting the level of sound the Zero has for $20.

Hexa is on the way, but based on graphs and impressions I'm sure I will love them with some bass boost.

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 215
I just got the HEXA in and I'll be returning my Symphonium Meteor because of how good the HEXA is. Absolutely crazy at this price. I'll post a full review probably sometime tomorrow, but initial impressions are that they don't have a ton of bass and are a little metallic sounding, but the detail, separation, and overall sound is amazing for the price.

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 215
I just got the HEXA in and I'll be returning my Symphonium Meteor because of how good the HEXA is. Absolutely crazy at this price. I'll post a full review probably sometime tomorrow, but initial impressions are that they don't have a ton of bass and are a little metallic sounding, but the detail, separation, and overall sound is amazing for the price.
Metallic sounding as thin mids or tinny sounding?

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 215
No, the mids are great. Theres a slight tininess, but considering they're brand new it's hard to judge them at this point.
As you were a Blessing 2 user, and i'm a Blessing 2 user - and thinking of buying this HEXA - can you tell if they are similar or do a small comparison?

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 215
HEXA

I experimented with various ear tips. Stock tips with wide bore are sounding alright, but all stock tips are nowhere comfy enough. Final Type E take out too much of the treble.
The best ones so far were Spinfit W1 and Dunu S&S. Both are very comfortable and the Dunus even more. I feel like the Dunu bring out a bit more sparkly treble than Spinfit and it's still nowhere shouty. What a bliss! Size on Spinfit "S", while Dunu is "L". I've to push the Spinfits more into the ears because they're small. "M" (Spinfit) is not comfy enough, but seal even better than "S". Your ears may vary.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 215
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 215
As you were a Blessing 2 user, and i'm a Blessing 2 user - and thinking of buying this HEXA - can you tell if they are similar or do a small comparison?
It's been about a year since I used the blessing 2. If you already have a pair and like them, I don't see a reason to get the HEXA as they have similar tuning. American Spirit did a comparison with the HEXA winning just slightly . You can find it on the HEXA review page - his review is far better than anything I could do.

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 215
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 215
It's been about a year since I used the blessing 2. If you already have a pair and like them, I don't see a reason to get the HEXA as they have similar tuning. American Spirit did a comparison with the HEXA winning just slightly . You can find it on the HEXA review page - his review is far better than anything I could do.
i'll check out.

I'm just trying to see if what i dont like on the blessing 2, is gona on the HEXA. For me, the B2 have shouty mids. Is the same, as you can tell on the HEXA?

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 215
i'll check out.

I'm just trying to see if what i dont like on the blessing 2, is gona on the HEXA. For me, the B2 have shouty mids. Is the same, as you can tell on the HEXA?
Wow, I didn’t know Truthear thread exists.

If you feel B2’s upper mid is shouty to your personal HRTF, then Yume/B2/Dusk/Variations/FiiO FHE/Truthear Zero /HEXA may have similar upper-mid. They are targeting around 2.8kHz-3.1kHz pinna gain peaks, for those audience have similar HRTF resonance peaks. If their preference curve matches, it will have a “vocal-neutral” tuning.

You may look AFUL Performer 5 for “instrument-neutral” tuning if you don’t like “vocal-neutral”. It’s $220.

Another good option is that if you are living in USA, you have a good bargaining going on with AKG’s $1k flagship IEM N5005, which is going at $199 at akg.com or harman.com.

Here is a quick coverage about N5005.

N5005 is a mini 64audio U12t except the “tia” air presentation as well as wide Apex diffuser that U12t has. But pricewise $2k vs 200, it’s a good deal.
80A5222E-1ECC-4376-87A7-CC00022D1744.png
FFCDF6A5-C52C-4A87-B3D1-C9591A543735.png

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 215
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already. Their first two releases have already been stellar.
The Zero is great for $20. I have to always remind myself that if you decide to forget your IEMs and buy earphones at the airport, you're not getting the level of sound the Zero has for $20.

Hexa is on the way, but based on graphs and impressions I'm sure I will love them with some bass boost.
Isn’t that Zero salnotes zero? The $20 one. Truthear’s Zero is like $40-50 If I recall it correctly.

Looking forward for your impression!
Note: LCP driver of HEXA needs some initial runs.

For sub-bass boost, Softears UC tip will do the trick. As well as XINHS 4core graphene (around $32 general sales price, lower on sale).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 215
Finally able to spend time with the Hexa today.
Immediate thoughts? If I boost subbass a bit more than I usually do on most IEMs, I can match the SQ of the Meaoes Eagle and Aful Performer 5 quite easily without any other adjustments. Those are $150 and $220. Hexa is $80. Very, very impressive.

Reviews are accurate about the mild subbass. If you hate EQ and love bass then maybe this isn't the best choice, but it's so easy to boost that I can't think of any other $80 IEM that comes anywhere near this. This destroys the Moondrop Aria at $80. What was once an easy recommendation is now completely overshadowed by the HEXA. (I still like the Truthear Zero too, but the Hexa is more refined and not much more in price)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back