Tube amps OTL choices
Nov 10, 2007 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

Von Soundcard

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for other OTL tube amps similar in sound signature to Woo2. They must have warm, smooth, full and rich sound without compromising transparency or the 'natural' sound necessary for symphonic and vocal music. They must have excelent synergy with 650 Senns.
The budget has to be under 1000 $ and I'm looking for the best deals possible, as Woo2 is already a good deal but at the top of my range. I don't need pre-amp, DAC or other extra functions.

So any good OTL tube amps, similar to Woo2 but at most its price that you've heard and can recommend ?

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 110
Darkvoice 337
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for other OTL tube amps similar in sound signature to Woo2. They must have warm, smooth, full and rich sound without compromising transparency or the 'natural' sound necessary for symphonic and vocal music. They must have excelent synergy with 650 Senns.
The budget has to be under 1000 $ and I'm looking for the best deals possible, as Woo2 is already a good deal but at the top of my range. I don't need pre-amp, DAC or other extra functions.

So any good OTL tube amps, similar to Woo2 but at most its price that you've heard and can recommend ?

I don't know if you have made a purchase yet, but I have the Senn HD-650s and have the LD MkIVse. It is everything you describe above that you want. The price is nice too! Worth checking out if you haven't already made a purchase.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 110
So any good OTL tube amps, similar to Woo2 but at most its price that you've heard and can recommend ?[/QUOTE]

The DV 337 is an incredible amp. One of the best rendering of symphonic music I have heard.

Incredible macro and micro dynamics, beautiful capture of instrumental tone, Violins are amazing.

I am a classical musician listening to live performances all the time. This amp has a sense of realism that is exceptional.

I don't think you would be unhappy with that choice.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 110
Another vote here for the Darkvoice 337. Terrific amp, and a great value for the money.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 110
Singlepower Extreme $999 .... awesome with high impedence headphones like the Senn 580/600/650 but equally good with low impedence headphones liKe the Alessandro MS2. This amp will drive anything including AKG 1000's. Tube cost is quite low and tuberolling is extensive if you like rolling tubes.

HPIM0146.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Singlepower MPX3 (left) and PPX3 SLAM (right) are great buys used. You can usually find used PPX3 SLAM's for around $600. All the Singlepower amps have a liquid tonality with exceptional dynamic contrasts and high resolution.

Picture093.jpg

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Singlepower Extreme $999 .... awesome with high impedence headphones like the Senn 580/600/650 but equally good with low impedence headphones liKe the Alessandro MS2. This amp will drive anything including AKG 1000's. Tube cost is quite low and tuberolling is extensive if you like rolling tubes.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Singlepower MPX3 (left) and PPX3 SLAM (right) are great buys used. You can usually find used PPX3 SLAM's for around $600. All the Singlepower amps have a liquid tonality with exceptional dynamic contrasts and high resolution.

How hot do these amps get? Are they house warmers? I don't see any protection for the tubes so are they just warm?

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 110
those of you recomending the darkvoice 337 how many have owned a Wooaudio 4 or Singlepower?

Where did you guys buy the Darkvoice 337? I only see 2 on ebay and they want $170 for shipping
eek.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those of you recomending the darkvoice 337 how many have owned a Wooaudio 4 or Singlepower?

Where did you guys buy the Darkvoice 337? I only see 2 on ebay and they want $170 for shipping
eek.gif

Check Skylab's comments on the DV337 thread. He has a singlepower and prefers the DV337. I haven't heard the SP so I can't offer an opinion.

Make an offer to jasmine through email.

If you search the threads you will get an idea of prices to offer.

Audiophilechina.com sells it for under 700.00 shipped although there might be a bit extra for paypal.

I bought mine from jasmine. The factory broke it in first and jasmine kept it running for a day to make sure the amp had no problems.

Jasmine is known for that kind of great customer service. Some other sellers might just have it drop shipped from the factory and you are out of luck if it arrives unworking or has the wrong voltage because the shipping is so expensive to send it back.

Jasmine doesn't offer the 337 through ebay so you will have to email to start a deal.

zhounk@hotmail.com

You can pay via paypal and have the same protection.

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check Skylab's comments on the DV337 thread. He has a singlepower and prefers the DV337. I haven't heard the SP so I can't offer an opinion.

Make an offer to jasmine through email.

If you search the threads you will get an idea of prices to offer.

Audiophilechina.com sells it for under 700.00 shipped although there might be a bit extra for paypal.

I bought mine from jasmine. The factory broke it in first and jasmine kept it running for a day to make sure the amp had no problems.

Jasmine is known for that kind of great customer service. Some other sellers might just have it drop shipped from the factory and you are out of luck if it arrives unworking or has the wrong voltage because the shipping is so expensive to send it back.

Jasmine doesn't offer the 337 through ebay so you will have to email to start a deal.

zhounk@hotmail.com

You can pay via paypal and have the same protection.

Thanks for the info.

Jasmine/Alexander contacted me back almost immediately asking for a down payment and the rest of the money when the amp ships. Is this normal?

Is Audiophilechina.com a reputable site?

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info.

Jasmine/Alexander contacted me back almost immediately asking for a down payment and the rest of the money when the amp ships. Is this normal?

Is Audiophilechina.com a reputable site?

It is normal for a 1st time buyer of the 337. Jasmine custom orders the amp.

You won't have anything to worry about with jasmine.

Some other sellers can require full payment and you have to wait weeks to get the amp.

Jasmine is totally trustworthy and has great feedback from headfiers and that is whyI went with her/him for my purchase.

I haven't heard anything negative about Audiophile china or high end casque
They are the same store. Au/china is the off ebay store of Casque.
However, I also haven't seen numerous glowing recommendations of casque.
I did see many recommendations for Jasmine.

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hot do these amps get? Are they house warmers? I don't see any protection for the tubes so are they just warm?

The larger chassis size of the SP amps does a good job of keeping the exterior cool. However, depending on the tube some amps do run hotter. The smaller PPX3 type chassis used by the Extreme, in conjunction with the big 6as7 output tubes .... gives off the most heat in the SP lineup. But, the Extreme's chassis is not even close to being uncomfortable to the touch. However, you definitely would not want to touch the 5687's or 6as7's directly as the tubes themselves do run hot.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 110
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately these are not the choices I am looking for.
The Darkvoice is (from what I read) colder, rougher, edgier and more analytical than the Woo, which is not what I am looking for. Also the better Singlepowers start from 1000 $ and I am looking for an amp for at most that price. Otherwise I can very well order the Woo2 which I belive is also closer to my tastes (a bit warmer, smoother). Also I am considering these prices new so we can have a fair contest.

So any other recommendations ?

Also please stay on topic - this is about OTL amps similar to the Woo, not for trade feedback or tuberolling for the Darkvoice etc.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 110
You could try the Woo 3 or 3+, the baby brothers to the Woo 2, which are also OTL, with/without pre-amp option respectively.

I originally ordered the Woo 3+ and loved it, then decided to get a fully upgraded Woo 2 after a few days.

Really liked the Woo 3+, and now absolutely love the Woo 2.
The Woo 3 sounds similar to Woo 2 and sounds fantastic to my ears, but I also know the Woo 2 is a significant upgrade.

Only other OTLs I've got are Earmax Pro and Earmax Anniversary.
I like these both, with the Pro being in your price range, and with the right tubes can be made to sound warm. But I don't think Earmax are the best value compared to other tube amps on offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back