Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #3,406 of 3,711
But you basically confirmed you heard a difference, one being smoother than other and both being digital cables.
No this is not a cable comparison.

In DAC, you have 3 type of input, usb, spdif/BNC/AES, IIS wit 3 kind of circuit (for extensive comparison)
  • USB need an internal board with re-clocker and buffer in best case to fill I2S input, with Xmos chip usb was limited to DSD128, then 256 and now up to 512 or 1024. The usb interface act as a complete decoder...

• SPDIF / AES /BNC is normally limited to 24bit/192khz (no pure DSD normally DOP up to DSD64) (No major difference between AES,BNC and SPDIF exept for optical wire where a optocoupler play a role) This is the oldest interface and during ages all have been done and known to do best quality. AES was the most used in pro audio studio due to solidity of the plug and the 110Ohm cable typology. This need some circuity also inside depending of the DAC chip.

• i2s bypass almost everything and goes to dac chip. (protocol is limited to DSD1024 but in fact by DAC chip resolution)

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #3,407 of 3,711
No this is not a cable comparison.
I know about difference of the protocols.

In my case using the same input (USB for example) I hear small differences between different cables. It is true that the comparison between BNC / USB I do here is not the same, but still, the differences I heard between cables match what I hear also in this case. But here we combine the difference I heard using the same USB in both scenarios with what I heard using different USB cables in the same USB input. So a kind of combination between input/protocol/cable. This is what I suspect is happening also in your case.

Of course, I do not try to convince anyone, it's just my personal experience.

There are several camps on the Chord DAC users (and most probably these match what other DAC users are experiencing). Some claim software upscaling is much better than the hardware upscaler called M Scaler (which is also much more expensive). Others claim the USB Amanero chip used on the USB input adds noise, so they go towards optical or coax depending on their preference. Others still prefer USB finding it smoother or maybe with better soundstage. Others claim that soundstage is noise. So as usual, everyone has an opinion and most probably majority are wrong, including me.

I do not claim anything, I am lucky enough to experiment and choose what I like more. Or maybe both as in this case where I see no reason not to leave both inputs permanently connected and switch via the Foobar output to what I want.

I have in M Scaler at the moment optical Toslink from my CD Transport, BNC via this SRC.DX converter and USB. In the past I tried optical vs USB and there was no major difference. I think now I can do directly CD via optical + FLAC of the same album via the other 2 connections. It would be an interesting experiment. Both USB cables are plugged in my JCAT XE card which is powered via a linear power supply. All headphone line is separated from others in the house.

PS. Those Soekris DACs are interesting, I might buy one in the future to try it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #3,410 of 3,711
Noting important. Subjective views related to the digital part of our headphone lines. My experimental tests showed me that my digital cables have a specific sound, contrary to my expectations.
That much of information I succeeded to extract. There was some specifics that slipped between my brain cells. But Status Quo is history, everything is always somewhat different even if almost the same so I am not surprised. Even if they are different in the same way all the time they are still different. Or something like that... :thinking:

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #3,411 of 3,711
Hmm, wow. Nice sound from this one and very different from my other USB cables. Impressed.

SupraExcalibur01.jpg

Good one, this cable. Above expectations.

SupraExcalibur02.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #3,414 of 3,711
I made some 1:1 of the Supra Excalibur with my old Kimber Kable USB AG and also with the QED Reference USB (now, I have here 2 QED reference, being different generations). The copper QED Reference is the warmest and the most relaxed, might be ok for a slow analogue setup, relaxing and forgiving. Supra Excalibur and Kimber Kable USB AG are both somehow similar, but slightly different. Kimber is an idea more dry, bright, while the Excalibur is an idea more lively sounding. What is interesting is that the Excalibur is lively and also smooth, somehow combining something from copper and silver sound. And now comes the interesting part, while I still prefer the Kimber on the USB input of M Scaler, I prefer the Excalibur on the SRC.DX converter to coax and coax input of M Scaler. Both are sounding in the same style but the SRC.DX coax with Excalibur has an edge over the Kimber on the USB. I left both connected to my JCAT XE card. I switch from time to time and observe differences. Depending on records, the drier nature of the Kimber might be useful. So we have a winner, all in all, I consider Supra Excalibur the best USB cable I have here.

Of course, I have tried all possible combinations, Kimber on SRC.DX was harsh somehow, not a good combo, but on the smoother USB input was better. I also tried Excalibur directly on the USB input of the M Scaler and something was not as good as the Kimber. Crazy stuff. All in all my little "off-topic" exploration of what I could possibly do to improve without breaking the bank the input (source) was a success. SRC.DX is nice and useful, Supra Excalibur is excellent, my new pair of D8000 Pro sounds spectacular. Of course, these are not night and day improvements, but we are now at, let's say, 9/10 from 8/10. It will remain to be seen how I will use these 2 inputs in time and if it makes sense to keep both cables connected. I will also keep the softer sounding QED Reference USB because that soft presentation is different from these and it's nice to have. The fourth cable, older version of QED Reference will have to go, it's reduntant.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #3,415 of 3,711
Yes, made in Sweden. This is a very good USB cable, if anyone is interested in a good USB cable this is my recommendation. It might be the best I heard.

SupraExcalibur03.jpg
That's great. Swedish cables might work well with a popular Viking DAC brand.

However, probably not for American audiophiles, as they use their DACs with Imperial Bit Units, not the smaller, more detailed Metric Bit Units of Europe. :joy:

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #3,416 of 3,711
That's great. Swedish cables might work well with a popular Viking DAC brand.
Absolutely, especially when they are named after a british legend of King Arthur's sword. LOL
However, probably not for American audiophiles, as they use their DACs with Imperial Bit Units, not the smaller, more detailed Metric Bit Units of Europe. :joy:
You are right, as usual, mr. Lobal. But the problem of the more detailed Metric bits is that they are transmitted with the same frequency. So we have some deep black background from time to time when we listen to music here in Europe. Between bits, of course.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #3,417 of 3,711
Absolutely, especially when they are named after a british legend of King Arthur's sword. LOL

You are right, as usual, mr. Lobal. But the problem of the more detailed Metric bits is that they are transmitted with the same frequency. So we have some deep black background from time to time when we listen to music here in Europe. Between bits, of course.
Interesting. As the great masters stated: "The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between" - you're obviously listening to more music than those across the pond. :sweat_smile:

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #3,419 of 3,711
To not have to deal with long cable, i invested in RPI 4 box with pi2AES hat, installed picore player and directly stream from my nas/ LMS server over ethernet cable. I have ultra short usb cable (I admit that after 2meters long cable quality matters, you should test long BNC rather than long USB). I use web UI or squezzelite from laptop or phone... This is for my way of listening the most efficient. If you need connection of quobuz or tidal or whatever (I'm not in the subscription mode) Ron can be a bit more indicated than picore player.
If you want ultimate hat on rPi, i encourage you to give a look at ian canada products..
Before pi+hat, I was using old i5 16G industrial PC (no fan) and daphile.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #3,420 of 3,711
To not have to deal with long cable, i invested in RPI 4 box with pi2AES hat, installed picore player and directly stream from my nas/ LMS server over ethernet cable.
Normally 2m is enough but I bought a 3m one to be able to make further experiments. I know that it is advisable to keep them as short as possible. All in all, I am pleased about the current improvements but your advices are welcomed. I will see what I can do to obtain more. From time to time we need to improve the source, because without it the rest of the chain suffers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back