UberBifrost vs Emo DC-1
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HPiper

Headphoneus Supremus
Just talking about sound quality of the two dacs here. Has anybody had a chance to compare these two. After looking at stuff a long time I think it has come down to one of these. I saw some posts on the DC-1 forum but I am thinking those people may be a bit biased. Stat and feature wise the DC-1 is the clear winner but stats never tell the whole story with audio equipment.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I was hoping for a few more replies to this thread as I'm trying to make the same decision.  I think in the end a lot of it comes down to whether or not you need all of the additional connections the DC-1 offers.  However, I am curious to know if anyone has had a chance to hear these two DAC's side by side and compare the sound.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Somewhere in this forum, there was comparison between Gungnir and DC-1 via blind test, and they could not tell difference.

You really shouldn't hear difference between DAC anyway.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I have UberBifrost and had Emo DC-1 for a while, the main difference I noticed was the bass impact, bifrost had a more detailed low range; while the highs were more clear and precise. 

The difference is very small though, you need to switch between these DAC many a times to notice the difference. DC-1 is smooth and both are winners, they are good DAC in price range.

google "emotiva dc-1 vs schiit" you will more comparison, not sure I would be allowed to link them here.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Somewhere in this forum, there was comparison between Gungnir and DC-1 via blind test, and they could not tell difference.

You really shouldn't hear difference between DAC anyway.

I agree with that.  There was that big dac recent thread where it was found some of the dacs, including the DC-1, were virtually indistinguishable from each other.

The killer feature of the DC-1 for me, being primarily a speakers user, is that is has an analogue preamp, and great value at $500.  The main thing putting me off is its C-media driver cannot be used with JPLAY because it doesn't support Kernal Streaming, which I use.  Seems like a no-go for JPLAY and Audiophile Optimiser users.

I also have reservations about whether the DC-1 will sound slightly on the 'polite' side, but that's just from a couple or comments I've noticed.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 7
I ended up with the Uber Bifrost, as was already mentioned, mostly because the bass is just tighter and more detailed. Someday I would like to get a DC-1 as well, I love the display and the fact you can run RCA or Balanced out of it. Much more versatile unit than the Bifrost. Plus it has those headphone outputs built in. I didn't get to listen to them in the store very long but they didn't sound terrible. Might even sound pretty good with the right phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back