Udac-2 vs HRT Streamer vs Dac Wow or Extasy
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 11

Well, it eats babies and dresses wildly, so thats two things right there.
Quote:
In what ways is it superior to the others?

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 11
I think MaverickMonk has said it all, really. There are about 3,501 reviews on the MSII scattered across the net, and I havent seen a bad one yet - I bought the thing and it makes me very happy. Not busty blonde happy, but they cost a lot more than 199 AUD, That said, its not a headphone amp - you might be happier with the uDAC2. Just scan a few of the threads from people who have had trouble with their units.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 11
I guess this is one of preference because their are members who said having both they preferred the udac-2.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Dont get me wrong - the uDAC2 received rapturous reviews, not least of which was HeadphoneAddict's review of both editions. If I didnt favour the 'separate your DAC from your amp' approach, I may have bought one myself, but I have owned several DAC/amps which were 70% DAC and only 30% amp - that simply doesnt do it for me.

Getting back to the MSII, I have no doubt that many here will want something 'sharper', but I like the way it smoothes out a lot of my music, particularly stuff like YouTube vids where the bitrate on the audio just isnt up to snuff. Even with WAV rips from CD, I have some Melodeath which would be uber-fatiguing from a more resolving DAC, especially if it was hooked up to an aggressive amp/phone combination. Been there, done that - for me, smooth isnt a dirty word.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 11
How is the smooth of the udac-2 vs hrt ms II?  I had the udac-2 and I thought it was warm and smooth.  Anyone know how it compares to pico dac.
From headphone addict's view, the udac-2 rca out is pretty close to the pico.  If the hrt ms II is better than the udac-2, than the hrt ms II should be better than the pico?

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Dont get me wrong - the uDAC2 received rapturous reviews, not least of which was HeadphoneAddict's review of both editions. If I didnt favour the 'separate your DAC from your amp' approach, I may have bought one myself, but I have owned several DAC/amps which were 70% DAC and only 30% amp - that simply doesnt do it for me.

Getting back to the MSII, I have no doubt that many here will want something 'sharper', but I like the way it smoothes out a lot of my music, particularly stuff like YouTube vids where the bitrate on the audio just isnt up to snuff. Even with WAV rips from CD, I have some Melodeath which would be uber-fatiguing from a more resolving DAC, especially if it was hooked up to an aggressive amp/phone combination. Been there, done that - for me, smooth isnt a dirty word.

estreeter, what amp do you connect the ms2 with? What headphones do you listen to with this setup? I look at your profile but saw nothing =[

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Yes, the HRT Music Streamer is definitely superior to the Udac-2.  As it should be, as a dedicated dac vs udac-2 dac/amp combo.
Both are smooth and musical but the HRT is more lively, open and transparent.  

May 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 11
I think MaverickMonk has said it all, really. There are about 3,501 reviews on the MSII scattered across the net, and I havent seen a bad one yet - I bought the thing and it makes me very happy. Not busty blonde happy, but they cost a lot more than 199 AUD, That said, its not a headphone amp - you might be happier with the uDAC2. Just scan a few of the threads from people who have had trouble with their units.

Restreeter do you think the steamer II would be better than the CEntrance DACport? If anything I could always hook up my E9 to this streamer II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back