UE-11 Owners - Need Amp Suggestions
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
There sure has been a lot of threads and comments lately about the UE-11's. I've mentioned previously that I'm going to be picking a pair up. Sent in my ear molds earlier this week, and yes I held very, very, still as you suggested. I've a Pico Amp/Dac and absolutely love it. However, after spending so many $$ on the IEM's I want to get the absolute most out of them. I would appreciate your feedback regarding what amp brings out the best in these babies. Doesn't have to be portable. I listen to a lot of rock, classical, jazz, and blues.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There sure has been a lot of threads and comments lately about the UE-11's. I've mentioned previously that I'm going to be picking a pair up. Sent in my ear molds earlier this week, and yes I held very, very, still as you suggested. I've a Pico Amp/Dac and absolutely love it. However, after spending so many $$ on the IEM's I want to get the absolute most out of them. I would appreciate your feedback regarding what amp brings out the best in these babies. Doesn't have to be portable. I listen to a lot of rock, classical, jazz, and blues.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

There have actually been many threads on this. It seems people really like the Predator with their UE11s.

I found these threads for you to consume:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/ue11-sr-71-a-336023/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/wha...ection-324705/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/amp...ue-11s-338737/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bes...-ue11s-322157/

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 12
I just discovered an amp which I loved with my UE-11: The Graham Slee Voyager. It's far from being burned in yet, but I'm already enjoying it immensely.

It has great depth and details and has a most engaging warmth compared to the slightly clinical sound signature of the AE-2
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you already have a pico, you do not need to buy another amp for your UE11's.

I second your statement, I love the sq of the ue11s with a pico, provides nice warm lows, excellent mids and well defined highs
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks to all. I'm tempted to check out the Graham Slee Voyager, but it sounds like I'm on the right track with the Pico. I guess I can't go wrong by starting with the Pico and then slowly audition other options as time goes on. Powertoold, sorry that you had to search the threads for me. I should have done that first. Thanks

Appreciate the feedback.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 12
is an amp really that necessary for an IEM? wouldn't it defeat the purpose of being portable? the impendence is already low, I feel that it would be a waist of money

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is an amp really that necessary for an IEM? wouldn't it defeat the purpose of being portable? the impendence is already low, I feel that it would be a waist of money

Considering the small size of the Pico and the fact that SQ will be improved amping the line out compared to using the headphone out it makes perfect sense.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with Great Dane. A great amp will always improve whatever you are listening to

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I posted my opinions on some of the other threads mentioned, I'll offer them again here.

For me, I like the Lisa best with the UE11's (iMod, vcap, ALO Au/Ag cables). I think I like the PRII next best, followed by the iQube. All 3 of these are simply superb! I did not like the Pico at all - waaay too forward midrange. I thought the SR-71 was pretty good, great for rock music. I have owned all these amps and gave all of them a very thorough listen.

I agree you don't "need" an amp at all with these IEM's, in fact they sound really very good straight out of an iPod. Adding an amp (and line out dock) really lets them shine.

That said, since you already own the Pico give it a good listen, nothing to lose! If/when the upgrade urge hits, look into a Lisa or iQube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back