Under rated Headphones?
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Davidzak64

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought it would interesting to hear people's opinions on Headphones that they feel are under rated. I recently picked up a pair of V-Moda crossfade 2 at a bargain price not expecting them to be anything special. I hooked them up and they sounded very bassy and dull. My EQ came into play. After a couple of days comparing and adjusting them to match my Reference HP'S (AKG K1000) these HP'S are golden. I proceded to a/b test with my other HP'S and the V-Modas trounced all over most of them in every category straight from my phone.. I was floored. The details, speed, Frequency range and clarity was far superior. These things hit harder and cleaner than anything I've ever heard even from my smart phone.
Some of the competitors of the a/b test are listed below. Sample music amazon HD files . Rock, Progressive rock, R&B, Country, Reggae and pop.
Classical music was not tested but they seem to handle all genre's well.

Akg K1000 has a bit more clarity, better mids and sound stage but can't compete in the sub bass or hard hitting drums.
No EQ. Driven by Luxman R-113 speaker terminals.

AKG K340 holds it's own. Has better imaging and sound stage but needs plenty of Eq and gets a bit fatiguing after a while.
EQ'd driven by Luxman R-113 HP output

Hifiman HE-400i has slightly better sound stage but that's about all I could give it. No competition
Slight EQ driven from Loxjie D30

Sennheiser HD58X no competition at all. Details are not even close.
No EQ driven from Loxjie D30

Sennheiser HD-598. Great sound stage and imaging. Again details and clarity fall way short.
Slight EQ driven from Loxjie D30

Philips X2hr. No competition.
AKG K240 No competition.

Now if you're an Audiophile purest and don't touch the tone controls I suggest you stay far away from the V-Modas. But if you want to hear Audiophile sound straight from your phone or portable device I highly recommend giving them a try with eq adjustments they are Outstanding! Build quality is excellent. Very Portable and Bluetooth is available when desired. They just may be my favorite HP. Sample of eq settings used from my smart phone below. The default pop music setting is very close to what I use.

Screenshot_20220319-174422_SoundAlive.jpg

20220306_154549.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 33
The Audeze EL-8 is really underrated. It sounds amazing when properly amped.

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 33
The Venture electronics VE Monk are $10 on Amazon and sound great, but most people don't think you could get good ear buds at that price.
The Phillips 9500 is great for the $45 we got in new condition at Amazon warehouse. Works on a phone well also.
The Cloud Orbit in stereo mode is amazing when you consider it can be gotten for $60-$70 on eBay from a liquidator. 100mm audeze planar magnetic closed back headset. The mic is made by Shure and it's retail $319 at Hyperx but used under $80 with a built in amp and DAC as well.

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 33
I second the El-8, well open back. A good amp opens them up
Oddly enough, I’ve never tried the open. It’s on my todo list.

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 33
The Venture electronics VE Monk are $10 on Amazon and sound great, but most people don't think you could get good ear buds at that price.
The Phillips 9500 is great for the $45 we got in new condition at Amazon warehouse. Works on a phone well also.
The Cloud Orbit in stereo mode is amazing when you consider it can be gotten for $60-$70 on eBay from a liquidator. 100mm audeze planar magnetic closed back headset. The mic is made by Shure and it's retail $319 at Hyperx but used under $80 with a built in amp and DAC as well.
I'm going to give the VE Monk a try. I'll report back. Thanks

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 33
In my book the iBasso SR2 is the most underrated headphone I've heard and heard about.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 33
AKG K240DF. Doesn't get talked about in the same breath as the Sextetts or the K140, but it's an amazing pair of headphones with beautiful sound that can take a ton of modern pads and goes on eBay for reasonable prices when they pop up.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 33
AKG K240DF. Doesn't get talked about in the same breath as the Sextetts or the K140, but it's an amazing pair of headphones with beautiful sound that can take a ton of modern pads and goes on eBay for reasonable prices when they pop up.
All those are on my wish list along with the Sundaras. I'm hoping the Sudara aren't over rated.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 33
Second the Phillips sph 9500. Amazing value at a sale price and very comfortable. Even at the price the cable would be a deal breaker, if it wasn't also detachable....

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 33
All those are on my wish list along with the Sundaras. I'm hoping the Sudara aren't over rated.
Sundara is rated about right in my experience. That said, I liked the Avantone Planar Pro better than the Sundara for a similar priced planar.

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 33
Meze 99…

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 33
Sundara is rated about right in my experience. That said, I liked the Avantone Planar Pro better than the Sundara for a similar priced planar.
I have the HE-400I'S and from what I read is the Sundaras are a small step up from them. Hopefully that's not the case. The HE-400i's are just okay in my book. Too artificial sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back