Updrade to more musical/fun dac amp
May 1, 2024 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Death_Block

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, just purchased a Fiio K7. So far only been listening through the SE output, yet to get a plug for bal. Though SE is providing enough power for the SR3. Hasn't been used much, but does the burn in happen for both outputs at the same time? I'm finding it a bit too flat and dry. I'm yearning for more of a fun and musical enjoyable sound. Will the bal output help or I just chose the wrong unit for my tastes?
What's a similar product that would suit what I'm after. Budget of up to £500. I'm also now more interested in a transportable device but a desktop one will suffice. I unfortunately don't have a dealer close by to test some stuff. Or is it the headphones?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 31
Unfortunately I don't have any local music files, it's from qobuz. Lost hundreds of CDs being a nomad and moving countries back before the days i knew how to rip CDs properly lol or can it still be done?

Prefer an all in one unit as I don't see the point keeping the K7 as a dac

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 31
If you want the fun factor, I like the SMSL stuff that has filter and color options on the DAC. Many of their products have this. The color settings are more noticable than the filters, and in combination it's really easy to customize.
I currently have a few like the D400 which has 3 watts to 32ohm and those options on the menu.

May 1, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 31
I say, pick up a Mojo 2 used. With crossfeed turned up to full, it doesn't get more "musical" than that. It's portable, extraordinary sonic performance, and powerful enough to drive most full-size headphones reasonably well. And whenever you need a little extra power, you just plug it into an amp.

Chord_Mojo2_01.jpg

One of the coolest, best sounding, bang for your buck devices out there. Super glad I bought one.

May 1, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 31
I say, pick up a Mojo 2 used. With crossfeed turned up to full, it doesn't get more "musical" than that. It's portable, extraordinary sonic performance, and powerful enough to drive most full-size headphones reasonably well. And whenever you need a little extra power, you just plug it into an amp.

Chord_Mojo2_01.jpg

One of the coolest, best sounding, bang for your buck devices out there. Super glad I bought one.
How much of an upgrade is it over the original mojo?

May 1, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 31
https://shorturl.at/lsuOQ SML M300SE. Very underrated. unexpensive. 2PCS of CS43131 MQA Audio DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Bluetooth Input DSD MQA XMOS Balanced XLR Output. (Just 129.00. A bargain.) A lot of nice features
Never heard cirrus chips. Looks like a very neat product.

May 1, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 31
I was considering the shanling H7 and the Fiio Q15 as well. I've read both players sounds superb, both with the AKM 4499. But not over the moon with the 4493 of the K7. I'm interested in the warmer sounds as compared to the ESS

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 31
May 1, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 31
What about the mojo 2 Vs original Hugo? Is the Hugo as musical as the mojo or a more reference direction?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 31
I'd second the Mojo 2.
With its DSP feature and cross feed you can't do better in a portable DAC/amp atm.

While it doesn't sound stock as mid-centric as the Mojo og, you can fine tune the presentation to your liking very easy.

Drives headphones quite well, from 20ohm Era-1 to 350ohm FT3. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back