Upgrade Etymotic ER4XR
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Meshail

New Head-Fier
Dear Fellow Headfiers

I'm a musician (violinist,vocalist, pianist) that searches for the ultimate best sounding IEM .
At home I listen to studio monitors .
I'm currently having Etymotic ER4XR for when I'm on the move , I'm happy with it but my appetite is open for much more enhancement.
For me if it's name is In Ear "Monitor"
Then it should be very true to sound as it was recorded (as high end studio monitors, think 3 way genelic , adam , neumann etc.)
I'm after the most capable IEM in
* Resolution
*Utmost neutrality. (dead flat as a monitor should be , sound as it is ,not as it makes it , nothing added or taken or altered)
*Correct balanced sound stage as it was recorded or as adjusted by the sound engineer in the mix.
* Correct timbre (don't care what technology it is BA , D ,EST or a hybrid or tribrid ) I want it produced as it was recorded
*Very precise imaging .
As for pricing I don't care as long as I'm buying "the best" true to sound IEM. (I also don't believe more expensive means better )
from what I read on forums and various websites I see there is hype (or truth idk) on
QDC Anole VX
Vision Elysium
Vision VE8
InEar Prophile-8
Tia trio
Thieaudio Monarch

Please help on deciding not on models mentioned above , but whatever you heared and experienced as the best ever that meets the criteria of
" best true to the sound as it was recorded" no fun no enjoyment ,just very precise honest monitor.
by the way it will be the hardest decision for me as I will be buying blindly .
i live in Egypt where there is no IEM stores to audition something before buying , I will buy online or via friend in USA .

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Better than the Ety ER4XR? You're going to have trouble.

The most obvious two methods of potential improvement would be for bass impact (emphasis on IMPACT) and comfort (something that doesn't stick in and out of your ear so far). For bass impact, you have to look at a hybrid. I'm not talking about bass response - with proper sealing, the Ety has plenty. However, a hybrid IEM with a dynamic bass driver will have much more impact, more like a regular headphone, in other words.

As for comfort - the variances are unlimited. Most other IEMs will not require as deep insertion or stick out of your ears like the Ety's, but getting something with equivalent detail and musicality will be difficult.

... wish I could be of more help, but you have one of the best already.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm not sure how much experience you have had with IEMs and it will be very challenging to buy any IEMs that fit your descriptions without auditioning them first. What one person may describe as flat to neural sounding IEMs, can be lifeless and boring to some or to sibilant to some. Some may argue, but ER4SR is one of the very clean and flat sounding IEM. However, some may call it very flat and thin sounding and lacks the impact (depending on how well these seal against your ear canals). ER4XR has slight boost on bass (compare to ER4SR), but maintain the overall sound sonic signature.

You may receive more useful recommendations by describing what you like and don't like about your current ER4XR, then ask what you want to change/improve on. The term "monitor" typically means you can sort of hear what you are playing/singing. Sony MDR-V6/7506 or Sennheiser HD280 Pro are often used by many studios and called "monitoring headphones" but they are not even close to what you describe as "monitor." They are not flat sounding and can be considered bloated/bright or dark/recessed by many folks. However, they do seal well so you don't have sound leak while you are recording and you can sort of make out what you are doing. Stage monitoring IEMs are somewhat different so that they are often used on the actual stage to monitor their own live performance and also protect their ears from loud sounds during live performance. Some are tuned slightly to allow longer wearing sessions without fatigue (slightly recessed and/or boosted bass to hear better bass). If you want absolute accuracy and flat sounding on IEMs, what you are referring may be IEMs that can be used for "mixing" or "mastering" types of applications. Perhaps, you can read a bit of discussion on the older thread, such as IEM application discussions. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 6
The most obvious two methods of potential improvement would be for bass impact (emphasis on IMPACT) and comfort (something that doesn't stick in and out of your ear so far). For bass impact, you have to look at a hybrid. I'm not talking about bass response - with proper sealing, the Ety has plenty. However, a hybrid IEM with a dynamic bass driver will have much more impact, more like a regular headphone, in other words.

Well there the ER2SE which uses a single DD, Still just as good and has more impact than the ER4XR has. I think OP should wait since there a multi BA version being made by Etymotic that could have more impact despite being a pure BA set up.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 6
The ProPhile 8 with activated treble switch (because this also increases the lows very slightly) would likely fit your criteria and come closest to the ER4XRs' tonality, however please note that the compensation for the lack of open ear gain (=^= upper midrange) is a bit weaker on the PP8 in comparison to the Etys, which results in them portraying voices slightly darker than the ER4XR.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Actually I'm loving every thing about my ER4XR , even bass (not the timbre but details) , I just want more of every thing
Let's say I want an equivalent IEM to adam s3h monitor ,I do realize it's impossible but I want the closest thing to the details , timbre , imaging , in an IEM for on the go
( I travel a lot and I want the best sound on the go )
I'll check the thread you mentioned, I think something for audio engineer would be good for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back