Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #106 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by StateRadioFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the m2tech is (much) better "straight out of the box?" How is it even possible to make a comparison to the Musiland and Teralink converters without an a/b test? Are you basing that opinion purely on memory? I hope the m2tech lives up to the hype but there are far to many flavor of the month products on this forum.

What I meant about "straight out of the box" is withouth burn-in or warm-up.

As for making a comparison, I did an a/b test with the Teralink-X. My method was to listen for a few different songs I am very familiar with using the Teralink-X before giving a try to the m2tech to get used once again to the sound of my system. So purely speaking, there was only a few seconds of gap that took me to switch the digital BNC cable (I used the same cable to make a worthwile comparison).

Anyway, all of those precautions were not necessary since the difference was very easy to spot. I will go more in depth with the description of the sound later : I already have started writing a review of the 4 usb to spdif converters I currently own : EMU 0404 USB, Teralink-X, Musiland Monitor and m2tech Hiface.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #108 of 1,958
That's interesting, I've never been able to tell sound differences of KS or ASIO between Operating Sytsems so perhaps my ears are not as sensitive as some of you guys.
biggrin.gif

I've been using Ploytech USB ASIO with Vista 32-bit and this seemed to make things a tad more detailed than WASAPI/KS/ASIO.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #109 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope I dont suffer from waiting to order one and now get stuck waiting foreveer or paying more.

Nail head hit:

"to receive hiFace you should send us 99 Euros + 9 Euros for S/H"
"Please be adviced that shipping could take a while, as we are presently out of stock due to the large request by customers"

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #110 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant about "straight out of the box" is withouth burn-in or warm-up.

As for making a comparison, I did an a/b test with the Teralink-X. My method was to listen for a few different songs I am very familiar with using the Teralink-X before giving a try to the m2tech to get used once again to the sound of my system. So purely speaking, there was only a few seconds of gap that took me to switch the digital BNC cable (I used the same cable to make a worthwile comparison).

Anyway, all of those precautions were not necessary since the difference was very easy to spot. I will go more in depth with the description of the sound later : I already have started writing a review of the 4 usb to spdif converters I currently own : EMU 0404 USB, Teralink-X, Musiland Monitor and m2tech Hiface.

Well, based on your feedback I decided to take the m2tech.
beerchug.gif

Thanks

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #111 of 1,958
I got the newer driver from m2tech that addresses the invalid INF issue. The driver now installs properly. The driver is NOT signed yet because it's still being tested and etc, but i got it to work in 'test mode' and test signing the signature.

The sound quality seems to be little harsher than XP KS, but then this might be a placebo. so who knows.

The driver was quite unstable in Windows 7 32bit mode, but the new driver is rock solid and does not have the same behavior that I had under 32 bit Windows 7. I've been playing the songs non-stop for past 30+ minutes.

I will update if anything changes.

EDIT: I still hear the small 'clicks' when the music starts. Less louder than optical input, but still noticeable and apparent.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #112 of 1,958
Happy to report 64bit driver development is steady and getting more stable.

Also, I was told that Mac Drivers are ready for "testing" in 15 days. So, I will report on that later as well.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #114 of 1,958
To me the Teralink-X looks superior to this as it has a clean power supply, I2S, pulse transformers, and doesn't require silly drivers. What am I missing that this M2Tech costs 3x as much? I would be concerned that one couldn't get bit-perfect output with these proprietary drivers. Has anyone tried the bit-perfect test? Is it ASIO?

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #115 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the Teralink-X looks superior to this as it has a clean power supply, I2S, pulse transformers, and doesn't require silly drivers. What am I missing that this M2Tech costs 3x as much? I would be concerned that one couldn't get bit-perfect output with these proprietary drivers. Has anyone tried the bit-perfect test? Is it ASIO?

There is an intersting white paper in the m2tech site about hiface converter here.
Basically, it uses 2 high quality clocks and proprietary drivers to avoid using the not so clean clock of the computer.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #116 of 1,958
Quote:

There is an intersting white paper in the m2tech site about hiface converter here.
Basically, it uses 2 high quality clocks and proprietary drivers to avoid using the not so clean clock of the computer.

But a clock is only as good as its power supply and this is getting the 5V feed from the computer. I have seen some very extensive powersupply designs for clocks, look at what Tent Labs do, I think this will be an issue with the M2Tech.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #117 of 1,958
Quote:

You prefer the mytech hiface over the Teralink-X, yes, as you write.
How much do you prefer the MyTech?

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #119 of 1,958
Bitperfect via asio or even clean power from non usb or clock. The Cryoparts Diverter has none of those and is $1000. Dont get confused in power hype, engineering is possible. Converting USB>SPDIF is no where near as power hungry as an actual DAC runnin on usb power alone.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #120 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that 'click' noise present with the other converters you have, tosehee? I remember the crap one that used to come with my Zero had that very annoying issue.

The click is little bit of noise that only occurs when the music starts. It's more noticeable for some songs than the others. If the music is already playing, the next song does not show this. It's only when you play the musics for the first time or stop/pause/restart the musics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back