USB -> SPDIF converter that works in linux?
Dec 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

n3rdling

Member of the Trade: Nerdbird Audio
I've recently reformatted my computer and decided to try out Linux.  I'm running a dual boot system with WinXP and Ubuntu 10.10.  For some reason Ubuntu is not recognising my onboard SPDIF output.  It works fine in XP.  I've tried installing the linux drivers from my mobo manufacturer's website to no avail.  At the moment I'm only able to run sound from the analog outputs of my motherboard, which means I can't use my DAC.  I don't want to do this for obvious reasons. 

Anyway, I figured it'd be easy to just get a plug and play USB to SPDIF converter that Linux will recognise and then plug my DAC into that.  It seems many of the converters are running special drivers which are likely written for Windows or OSX.  I was wondering if there are any Ubuntu/Linux users out there that have had success with any USB to SPDIF converters without having to mess around with the terminal, etc.  If so, please let me know the products that qualify.

I don't need hi rez conversion...standard 44.1 is fine with me.  Cheap is good.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Don't think that mine uses drivers but you can check with Lee at Cryoparts, called The Diverter but a bit pricey.  Sounds better than any converter i have ever heard though including the Offramp converter from Empirical which is almost as expensive.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6
If you don't mind using a realtime distribution like Ubuntu Studio 10.04 or 64Studio, then you can use a wide variety of firewire audio devices.
The firewire audio driver FFADO works with JACK and Audacious media player supports JACK output.
A config like this is hard to beat, but can be tricky to configure.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 6
There are lots of USB-S/PDIF converters around that use the PCM270X USB receiver chip, that will work with Linux. This: http://cgi.ebay.com/NG-COAX-USB-SPDIF-Coaxial-Audio-Converter-/280601070425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4155208b59 uses a 2902 which I think is in the same family..  I have used a  AMB's y1 (and y2) use the 270x chip as the usb-spdif converter and it works great with Linux.  I also use a Silverstone EB101 (2702 based) daily at work on my linux workstation.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back