Using an USB DAC or USB AUDIO INTERFACE to listen music.
Dec 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

lJustinl

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I intend to upgrade my sound system. I am considering that using and USB DAC or USB AUDIO INTERFACE to listen music. I read some reviews which indicate that using an USB AUDIO INTERFACE will release a very beautiful sound. However, some other reviews show that USB DAC sound is excellent. So I consider a lot about this. I intend to spend about $500 - $700 to buy one. I usually listen dance, acoustic and pop genre.
I also put my look to some DACs and AUDIO INTERFACE.
        - DACs: Cambridge DacMagic Plus, Schiit BigFrost.
        - Audio Interfaces: Focusrite Forte, RME Babyface.
If you have some better options in this price's range, please give me a advice. If your recommended stuffs have a headphone amplifier function, it will be a perfect choice for me.

Thank You,
Justin. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 27
Hi Justin,

what is your audio setup now?

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 27
Hi Chs,

I am using MAC and Window as music sources. I am using Aune X1 and Creative audiophile x-fi HD as USB DACS. My speakers are coirsair SP 2500 and Audiogine A2+ bookself. I like to listen to Coirsair speakers more, so I intend to setup new ones for this. My headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and Beats Studio. My music sources are 24bit/192kHz (that is the reason why I want to upgrade my Dac).

Best,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 27
Justin,

from my point of view better choice for you is to invest in the audio part of your setup:  speakers and amp. It gives you much more then a DAC upgrade.

Best regards,
Sergey.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 27
Completely agree with the above poster, I would always split my budget >75% on the speakers and the rest on the DAC.  I used to use a Fiio E7/9 combo for playback but that now gathers dust and I use a roland quad capture all the time, I am producing so need both ADC and DAC but its perfectly good playback on a budget.  Most of what you pay for is not the design, implementation or the chip it usually the added extra's such as styling, brand name, and fancy features you may never use.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 27
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]Hi,

First, thanks Tablix and Chs for your comments. I appreciate it very much. To follow your suggestions, what recommended speakers, amp, and Dacs can I upgrade with my budget? I think I will sell Audioengine A2+ and combine a new speaker with my Corsair Sp2500. Can you give me some usefull advice?

Sincerely,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 27
I would see if you can audition something in a local music supplier, if at all possible.  Once you spend about $600 you really can get some nice speakers, I would look at KRK RP series (you may get a really good deal on 2nd gen models as they have just been replaced by 3rd) for a real bang for buck ratio.  I was really impressed with the Tannoy Reveal 601a recently and should be within your budget.  You can also research brands such as ADAM, Yamaha or Mackie.  The differences are not huge but you get what you pay for IMO, under $500 a pair things can be a little more hit and miss.  

I would never say buy this or buy that, everyone is different and subtle things like looks, space and budget can all make an impact on buying decision.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 27
Hi Tablix,

I found it on ebay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/131029067528?nav=WATCHING&sbk=1
Is it good for me? Can I combine with my speaker or use it individually?

Thanks,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 27
Those are the newer 3rd gen models so at full price, you may want to save some money and get the 2nd gen I know plenty of people still using them, link below:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRK-RoKit-RP8-G2-RP8G2-8-inch-2-Way-Powered-Active-Studio-Monitor/290984563558?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D3141948677223858366%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D131029067528%26

This should also save you $150 to put towards a dedicated dac or audio interface, perhaps something like the focusrite 2i4 or for a more audiophile dac, the options here are just as endless as with active speakers :D

HTH

Aslo worth mentioning you will likely get similar prices from Amazon and may get cheaper shipping :D

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 27
Hi Tablix,

I also found Tannoy Reveal 601. It is also good deal for me. However, I have a question. Can I combine them with my Corsair SP2500 or use it individually? Which way is better? Do you know any good dacs or usb audio interface for me? I am using Aune X1 and Creative audiophile x-fi HD. Is it good enough or upgrade is better?

Best regard,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 27
Justin,

both speakers is active (no AMP needed). You can use it individualy only. It's for replacing your speakers.
If you have a possibility to hear speakers before buying it will be good. (Try a music storenear you ).

Regards,
Sergey. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 27
And from my point of view your DACs will be enough for these speakers.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 27
I have $1500 speakers and a $300 audio interface, the idea is having speakers that can produce the accuracy and a DAC that is detailed and free from any noise.  I am recording so for playback you can probably cut that budget in half and still be fine for good quality payback.  

It all depends how "audiophile" you are.  People will spend silly money on a DAC or amp or speakers or indeed all parts of the chain and claim they can hear a difference  in quality, positional queue's or detail then find out later they are listening to a low quality mp3 rip and feel like an idiot.  I have seen this demonstrated in a studio for the sake of laughs, and TBH the affect of placebo is far superior than what you wallet can afford.  

Maybe I am partially deaf or my golden ears are getting rusty but IMO there is more ******** in this industry then ever.  A simple $200-300 DAC should be more than enough for anyone that is not producing music for a living.  If you got deep pockets and $5000 of speakers and want to splash out buy and RME audio interface or a Benchmark DAC, until then dont blow your funds on this part of the audio chain.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 27
Hi Sergey and Tablix,

First, I want to thank you for your very helpful advice. When I read the comment of Tablix, I recognize I am totally wrong. Before reading it, I like some people you meet in your studio. Actually, my ears are very normal; I only recognize small differences from other sound systems. Why I have to spend a lot of money to make my sound system better while I can only feel not much like this. I knew what I do now, just simply buy your suggestive speakers. That's all. I strongly appreciate your advices. Thank you so much. If I meet you in real life, I will invite you a beer, my friends.

Best regard,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 27
Hi,

I found a pair of speakers with a good deal. Is it good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samson-Studio-GT-Active-Studio-Monitors-with-USB-Audio-Interface-/301034297460?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Justin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back