Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, Live At The Hollywood Bowl
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
This album was just released this week. Wow, Van IS the man! Admittedly, I've not heard all of his recent albums, but this release has to be one of his best releases ever. It's certainly one of the best albums I've heard in the last year.

The recording quality is very good for any recording, let alone one recorded live. Great separation, no clipping on the low or high ends of the musical spectrum. The all-new tunes themselves remind me of his early work, swirling layers of instrumentation, a combination of jazz, blues, and a bit of rock thrown in for good measure.

I highly recommend this to "Van Fans" or anyone interested in trying something new. This is truly special.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for the heads up. Found Van about a year or two ago while in a used store and picked up Magic Time (love that record). Since then have purchased a lot of his music. This is a must have for me now.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up. Found Van about a year or two ago while in a used store and picked up Magic Time (love that record). Since then have purchased a lot of his music. This is a must have for me now.

Let us know what your thoughts are after giving it a couple listens.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Below is a link from a review of the album. They do a much better job than me. I didn't realize that Astral Weeks was an album from 1968 and this is the first live recording of the entire work ever. No wonder it sounds like his older stuff...... It is!

Public Arts : Van Morrison: Astral Weeks (2009-03-07)

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Crap! I just saw this isn't the vinyl shop today and was debating over buying it!
Should have bought it....

Got Fleet Foxes and Shelby Lynn "Just a little Lovin'" instead....Unfortunately I limit myself to buying two pieces of vinyl at a time.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know what your thoughts are after giving it a couple listens.

Will do. Should be here in a couple days. Couldn't find it local so had ot buy online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below is a link from a review of the album. They do a much better job than me. I didn't realize that Astral Weeks was an album from 1968 and this is the first live recording of the entire work ever. No wonder it sounds like his older stuff...... It is!

I read an articale recently with Steve Van Zandt where he pointed to Astral Weeks as one of his greatest influences.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Well I received the album last night and put a couple listens in with my rig using my electrets and K701's. I will have to agree with LuckyLeo that this is one awesomely recorded live album. Is it the same as the original Astral Weeks? No, but that has to do more with the age of Van now compared to then. Van's voice is now deeper, more mellow, in a word he now sings more like a Journeyman Bluesman. On the original Astral Weeks Van is able to reach much higher notes that are quite missing here, but by in no means does this lower this recordings musicality. I have to say as a fan of live recordings I love this album. I also find myself more tuned to Van's more recent work because of the change in his voice. Thusly this will definitely find it's way into a reacurring place in my music lineup.

As I listen to the album again right now on my A2's I am stunned at the incredible recording and mastering that was done with this album. The seperation and 3d values of this disc are amazing.

This is a must have for any Van Morrison fan. And if you have never listened before this would be an excellent entry album that would not disapoint.

NOTE: Looks like, for me at least, that google sense ads has picked up an ad for the album. Sure will make it easy for anyone to pick a copy up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back