Vibro Veritas in-ear monitor home measuring device. Reviews and Impressions by Brooko, Twister6, Hisoundfi
Nov 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #61 of 74
That's almost 10 dB less roll-off than on your previous graph.

I still think that it might be the coupler itself (perhaps Luke is now using different microphone drivers in the couplers?), however to rule it out, it would be best to lower the number of averages (which minimises the chance to lose the seal during the measurement process) and to use sine sweeps instead of noise for the measurements.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #62 of 74
That's almost 10 dB less roll-off than on your previous graph.

I still think that it might be the coupler itself (perhaps Luke is now using different microphone drivers in the couplers?), however to rule it out, it would be best to lower the number of averages (which minimises the chance to lose the seal during the measurement process) and to use sine sweeps instead of noise for the measurements.

The first results I didn't use the blue putty, as I figured it was a good seal. Maybe that made a difference?

I will try again now with 3 passes and a sine sweep

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #64 of 74
I will try again now with 3 passes and a sine sweep
I would recommend to do just one pass per measurement and average them later. REW has an "average" button, I'm not sure about ARTA.
But your results don't look bad at all! Do have some more IEMs to measure?

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #65 of 74
  did you turn off the sound enhancement in windows sound setting?

not a bad idea.

another idea, put some blue tack around the cable(and below if you removed it), to check if the seal might break there.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #66 of 74
  did you turn off the sound enhancement in windows sound setting?

Yes, absolutely.

I would recommend to do just one pass per measurement and average them later. REW has an "average" button, I'm not sure about ARTA.
But your results don't look bad at all! Do have some more IEMs to measure?

Any reason why I wouldn't want to do multiple passes? The IEM is securely fastened and isn't going anywhere.
Also would you advise REW over ARTA or is it just personal preference?
I did also measure the W60s and got a similar roll off on the low end.

So here are my settings and results using a sine sweep...

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #68 of 74
Your settings are wrong - and it will affect the bass roll-off.  For a start, both soundcard and ARTA should be set to 16/48.

When I get back into Windows I can give you some screen shots if you want.  And I never use the bluetack to seal - it'll give you false results (no IEM seals that well).  I simply use either Crystal or Comply foams - always the same size - always brand new (I have several pairs which I rotate for testing).

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #69 of 74
Any reason why I wouldn't want to do multiple passes? The IEM is securely fastened and isn't going anywhere.
Also would you advise REW over ARTA or is it just personal preference?
I did also measure the W60s and got a similar roll off on the low end.

I experience better results while doing just one pass per measurement.
I'm not quite sure why so I'm mainly guessing. IMO the software is set to record the whole process from the start till the end. If you perform multiple passes the pauses between the sweeps will also be recorded. So the environment or input noises recorded between the sweeps will also perform the Fourier transform and therefore add to to the measurement result.
In my case this leads to quite different results.

I do four measurements per side and average them later. After every run I move the Inear slightly and after two runs I take the inear off the coupler and insert it again. IMO this reduces the effects of wrong insertion. As a side benefit you'll get the visual feedback if your doing right or wrong after every run.

I use REW because of my personal preference. IMO it is more user friendly, logical and visually appealing.

It's sort of good news if you constantly measure the same amount of roll off with every Inear. Just do a calbriation sheet and there you go :wink:

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #70 of 74
My uncalibrated result of the ER4S:

The roll off is even worse - but I didn't use bluetrack to seal the Inear, only to make sure it doesn't move. So all you have to do is typing a nice calibration txt (sounds easy doesn't it 
devil_face.gif
).

With applied calibration my results look like this:

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #71 of 74
  Your settings are wrong - and it will affect the bass roll-off.  For a start, both soundcard and ARTA should be set to 16/48.

When I get back into Windows I can give you some screen shots if you want.  And I never use the bluetack to seal - it'll give you false results (no IEM seals that well).  I simply use either Crystal or Comply foams - always the same size - always brand new (I have several pairs which I rotate for testing).

​If I could grab some screen shots from you Paul, that would be fantastic. Also a good point about the blue tack sealing unrealistically well. I guess its best to good a good natural seal with a tip and just ensure it's secure?
I experience better results while doing just one pass per measurement.
I'm not quite sure why so I'm mainly guessing. IMO the software is set to record the whole process from the start till the end. If you perform multiple passes the pauses between the sweeps will also be recorded. So the environment or input noises recorded between the sweeps will also perform the Fourier transform and therefore add to to the measurement result.
In my case this leads to quite different results.

I do four measurements per side and average them later. After every run I move the Inear slightly and after two runs I take the inear off the coupler and insert it again. IMO this reduces the effects of wrong insertion. As a side benefit you'll get the visual feedback if your doing right or wrong after every run.

I use REW because of my personal preference. IMO it is more user friendly, logical and visually appealing.

It's sort of good news if you constantly measure the same amount of roll off with every Inear. Just do a calbriation sheet and there you go
wink.gif

​Thanks Bartzky, is there a guide to setting up REW for use with the Veritas anywhere? I took a quick look at REW but couldn't get my head around it.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #72 of 74

​Thanks Bartzky, is there a guide to setting up REW for use with the Veritas anywhere? I took a quick look at REW but couldn't get my head around it.

Did some quick screenshots for you. Go to "Preferences" select "Preferences". Then chose you input and output devices:
Close window and click "Measure". Apply the following settings:

And you're ready to measure 
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #73 of 74
  Did some quick screenshots for you. Go to "Preferences" select "Preferences". Then chose you input and output devices:
Close window and click "Measure". Apply the following settings:

And you're ready to measure 
beerchug.gif

​Thanks for that mate
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #74 of 74
@CraftyClown 

Sorry - should have posted these a while ago for you.

My compensation for IEC711 (includes allowance to null y sound card).  At the very least - you should simply have a calibration compensation to bring the sound card to flat.

Basic setting for impulse response

Graph window set-up

Actual frequency recording set-up

Soundcard and mic - both set to 16/48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back