Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #31 of 738

I'm glad they are not delivering Violectrics in the 19" format however.

That would be an absolute no go for me.
Looks are indeed subjective but I don't really see a huge aesthetic shift between V590 and something like a V281 with V850 sitting on top. Obviously it's shorter/wider instead of the "shoebox" V281 but that's about it. Personally I always prefer silver gear so maybe you would like V590 more in silver?

Yes I do prefer silver with Violectric. Makes it less ‘spartan’.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #32 of 738
Just thinking out loud. If the V590 is an improved version of existing V850/V281 combo at value pricing, what will that mean for rest of Violectric range? Hope they will still have next gen dedicated dac and amp in replacing the V850 and V281/280 respectively. I believe there will invariably be compromises with any integrated dac/amp as compared to dedicated components.

Also, in terms of sound signature, if the V590 is moving towards neutral (closer to Niimbus); hopefully that does not mean rest of next gen is also moving in same direction as the V281/280 are both known for its transparency yet with slightly warm tuning which is very pleasing to the ears(at least for mine :) ).

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #33 of 738
The amp inside the V590 will have its own dedicated version and there will be a dedicated DAC too of course. There you have each respectable replacement.

V281 will run out some day, I don't know of any plans to reshell it for its probable unique signature in context of the future of Violectric. Don't think that will happen though as more devices are in the pipeline beyond DACs and amps and they need to be realized which takes time.

Remember that the new amps don't just have a different signature, they are also technically more capable. More micro/macrodynamics, a better bass fundament etc. If a 281 would be reshelled it also needs a fitting place in the whole lineup. The question is if they can make it happen in the context of production costs, resources etc...

Also, it had its time with almost 6 years availability. If people want a V281 it should still be available until it runs out.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 738
The amp inside the V590 will have its own dedicated version and there will be a dedicated DAC too of course. There you have each respectable replacement.

V281 will run out some day, I don't know of any plans to reshell it for its probable unique signature in context of the future of Violectric. Don't think that will happen though as more devices are in the pipeline beyond DACs and amps and they need to be realized which takes time.

Remember that the new amps don't just have a different signature, they are also technically more capable. More micro/macrodynamics, a better bass fundament etc. If a 281 would be reshelled it also needs a fitting place in the whole lineup. The question is if they can make it happen in the context of production costs, resources etc...

Also, it had its time with almost 6 years availability. If people want a V281 it should still be available until it runs out.
I suppose it’s difficult to further improve on something that is already so good. V281(aka the beast) and V280(...a smaller beast). However, given its age, there is definitely a need to refresh and update one of their best sellers. I am currently very happy with the V280. Only slight regret is not getting the V281 for it’s preamp function to power my old pair of Genelec speakers.

If Fried wants to move back to its root of “no sound” philosophy, then going the neutral route makes sense as Violectric amp is slightly warmer vs LP G109/103 for example. No right or wrong but from it’s brand’s positioning standpoint, it’s probably the right thing to do.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #35 of 738
Let's wait how the V590 and the upcoming V3XX (stripped down version, not sure about the full model number) will sound and compare to the old guard.

@project86 already has the chance to compare all and everything but it will take time and patience.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #36 of 738
Fried has mentioned various ideas in the pipeline as far as upcoming models. I can't go into specifics but generally speaking it spans the range and covers all the expected variations. So someone wanting a pure headphone amp (no DAC) will have options, as will people looking for dedicated DACs etc. There will be upper level stuff (which is where V590 fits) and more affordable models too. It sounds like they basically want to refresh the entire lineup, which of course takes time but will eventually happen.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #37 of 738
Copied this post from the other V590 thread:
Heard one of these at CanJam NYC this year and it sounded fantastic! Using the internal dac I found that the sound was better than the V281/V850 combo but not quite up to the level of the Niimbus US4+. Fried told me he was aiming to position the V590 sound & price-wise between the two flagship amps mentioned above. He also told me the unit has two AKM4490 dac chips—one for each channel.

The V590 has a fantastic form factor as well. It’s obviously wider than the V281 but also much shallower—I’d say it’s around 2/3 the footprint of the Niimbus amp. Think a Phonitor 2/X or Meier Corda amp.

I do think that with a super top-tier dac you could get a V281 to sound “better” than the V590 with its internal dac, but that combo would far exceed the price of the all-in-one unit. I bet the V590 amp section would scale up with an external dac as well and probably supersede the capabilities of the V281. I’ll also say that at CanJam the Niimbus amp was sourced from the V590 dac and it did not leave me wanting for much, especially with the upsampling features turned on. I wish I had a reason to buy one of these when they’re released!

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #38 of 738
I do think that with a super top-tier dac you could get a V281 to sound “better” than the V590 with its internal dac, but that combo would far exceed the price of the all-in-one unit. I bet the V590 amp section would scale up with an external dac as well and probably supersede the capabilities of the V281.

Translation: So if I'm currently pairing a V281 with an Yggy A2, does this pairing qualify as super top tier enough to sound better than the V590? I ask that with eyes set on a possible future DAC-less version of the V590 (@Fegefeuer 's "V3XX"?), although my "money-no-object" choice would ideally be the US4+, provided I get to hear it first and firsthand, and prior to pulling any trigger.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #39 of 738
That's hard to determine, but in theory yes it could possibly be superior. I'd say it really comes down to preference more than one being in a vastly higher league than the other. Based on prior listening I would guess the Yggy A2 and V281 combo is a bit warmer and more dynamic while the V590 would come across as more neutral with a hint of sweetness (which I haven't mentioned but am discovering upon further listening).

But I'm totally generalizing here.

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #40 of 738
If the V590's amp ups the bass game close to the US4+ and stays close to the bigger brothers tonality, technicalities it should be a very great match with your Yggdrasil A2.
Gear matching is very important. For instance the Gungnir Multibit B + V281 pairing is lively and exciting. The Gungnir while colder than the Yggdrasil benefits from a slight warmth while being taken advantage of its "popping" transients which the dynamism of the V281 supports. This is one aspect I miss in the Bifrost 2 whose character goes towards the Yggdrasil Analog 2.

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #41 of 738
Translation: So if I'm currently pairing a V281 with an Yggy A2, does this pairing qualify as super top tier enough to sound better than the V590? I ask that with eyes set on a possible future DAC-less version of the V590
(@Fegefeuer 's "V3XX"?), although my "money-no-object" choice would ideally be the US4+, provided I get to hear it first and firsthand, and prior to pulling any trigger.
I spent a good amount of time with the V590 and talked to Fried and Arthur about the unit for a while but it was still a show so don’t take my impressions as gospel. I think we’ll have to wait for @project86 to get his review up for that! Nonetheless if you’re not going to get a US4+ then I’d stand pat with the excellent Yiggy->V281 combo for now. The V590 would probably be a side-grade at best. From my experience I always thought the V281 was underrated in terms of how well it scales with dacs. The fact that an all-in-one is at or near the V281’s level has me pretty excited for where this brand is headed.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #42 of 738
Found this post from Fried Reim on a German hi-fi forum. It’s from early April, translated by google:
“For the occasion, I would like to point out our new headphone amplifier + D / A converter.
The Violectric V590 is the first of a series of new Violectric devices that will appear at irregular intervals.
The first prototypes were shown at previous trade fairs, series devices should be available from Hi-End 2020.
Well, the hi-end is canceled and we are presenting our new devices in some forums.
The backgrounds.
Not only we, but also our customers are convinced of our so-called "V200" amplifier technology. Since the development of the HPA V200 in 2009, it has offered a rather warm sound, which is unusual for transistor technology, and can therefore handle height-emphasized headphones quite well.
We have also been convinced of symmetrical headphone amplifiers since we developed the first German headphone amplifier manufactured in series in 2010.
That was the HPA V181.
The combination of "V200" technology and a symmetrical headphone amplifier became the HPA 281, which was launched in 2014.
It reached sporty sales figures for our standards and is the most noticed German thread at Head-Fi with 600,000 clicks.
We continue to develop and sell D / A converters very successfully.
The DAC V850 offers adjustable resampling and dual mono converter (2 x PCM 1795).
It also has a USB input which, however, cannot do a DSD because I am an avowed DSD hater ...
So it was only natural to replace the V281 after 6 years of production and immediately install an "adult" D / A converter - because it's from the customer is required.
The aim of the development was to sharpen the valued properties of the V281 and to add a D / A converter.
That is why the V590 naturally has 4 amplifiers for a real balanced headphone output.
This includes analog and digital inputs and of course a preamplifier function with sym and unsym. Line outputs.
Further generous possibilities of level adjustment, because the KHV does not know by itself which source is connected to the front, how sensitive the headphones are and which level the power amplifier or the active speakers prefer.”

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 738
Let's wait how the V590 and the upcoming V3XX (stripped down version, not sure about the full model number) will sound and compare to the old guard.

@project86 already has the chance to compare all and everything but it will take time and patience.
Curious about this upcoming V3XX you mentioned. Stripped from which model ? Is this the rebranded LP RS series ?

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #44 of 738
Found this post from Fried Reim on a German hi-fi forum. It’s from early April, translated by google:
“For the occasion, I would like to point out our new headphone amplifier + D / A converter.
The Violectric V590 is the first of a series of new Violectric devices that will appear at irregular intervals.
The first prototypes were shown at previous trade fairs, series devices should be available from Hi-End 2020.
Well, the hi-end is canceled and we are presenting our new devices in some forums.
The backgrounds.
Not only we, but also our customers are convinced of our so-called "V200" amplifier technology. Since the development of the HPA V200 in 2009, it has offered a rather warm sound, which is unusual for transistor technology, and can therefore handle height-emphasized headphones quite well.
We have also been convinced of symmetrical headphone amplifiers since we developed the first German headphone amplifier manufactured in series in 2010.
That was the HPA V181.
The combination of "V200" technology and a symmetrical headphone amplifier became the HPA 281, which was launched in 2014.
It reached sporty sales figures for our standards and is the most noticed German thread at Head-Fi with 600,000 clicks.
We continue to develop and sell D / A converters very successfully.
The DAC V850 offers adjustable resampling and dual mono converter (2 x PCM 1795).
It also has a USB input which, however, cannot do a DSD because I am an avowed DSD hater ...
So it was only natural to replace the V281 after 6 years of production and immediately install an "adult" D / A converter - because it's from the customer is required.
The aim of the development was to sharpen the valued properties of the V281 and to add a D / A converter.
That is why the V590 naturally has 4 amplifiers for a real balanced headphone output.
This includes analog and digital inputs and of course a preamplifier function with sym and unsym. Line outputs.
Further generous possibilities of level adjustment, because the KHV does not know by itself which source is connected to the front, how sensitive the headphones are and which level the power amplifier or the active speakers prefer.”
@Malcolm Riverside
Thanks for posting this. Provided a lot of clarity on Fried’s thinking and reason-for-being of the V590. Makes a lot of sense.

For existing owners of V281; already with a high end dac of similar/another brand; this may not sound like a big step-up in terms of upgrade(as you mentioned, probably a side grade if we discount the addition of 32-bit sampling, PCM/DSD). I think for such owners, the groundbreaking news is when the next gen dedicated replacements for the V281 and V850 gets announced. V590 is still exciting nonetheless as it gives indication of what is to come.

Think part of the fun of this hobby is the journey of seeking incremental improvements in one’s system set-up one piece at a time :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #45 of 738
Curious about this upcoming V3XX you mentioned. Stripped from which model ? Is this the rebranded LP RS series ?

No, those have different numbers and smaller enclosures. The model variance is much higher this time (including the former RS models) so there's more to it than just a stripped down version. Good to have choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back