Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #61 of 1,069
I totally get the price is very high on the Niimbus products, and it's a sticking point for potential buyers. But I also think the comparison to the Edge M is apples/oranges. You can't just go by looks. Edge M is a power amp for speakers while the Niimbus is a preamp/headphone amp. Consider the complex reed-relay volume solution alone - it doesn't really look like much but certainly adds to the cost and complexity of the build. That's just one factor among many.

Plus, Cambridge makes all their gear in China. They have done so for years if I remember correctly. Meanwhile Niimbus gear is hand built in Germany. Cambridge Audio also mass produces their products in far greater numbers - even the relatively expensive Edge stuff is far more widely distributed than the Niimbus components (which are pretty much textbook examples of boutique specialty gear).

I'm not knocking Cambridge Audio in any way, it's just a very different approach and two very distinct products.
I understand, but even non fancy wolume control version cost just as much. Ofc i understand that they sell them even at that price, so why lower it? Ofc there are some good options when it comes to amps, but not everything is sold in europe and none have such good support and build quality as Violectric stuff. I doubt i could even try it cause not many can afford it.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #63 of 1,069
Curious on that as well

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #64 of 1,069
I understand, but even non fancy wolume control version cost just as much. Ofc i understand that they sell them even at that price, so why lower it? Ofc there are some good options when it comes to amps, but not everything is sold in europe and none have such good support and build quality as Violectric stuff. I doubt i could even try it cause not many can afford it.

I think your comment about Violectric (and therefore Niimbus) having such good support and build quality ties directly in with the pricing aspect. Plus the company has always been open about wanting to pay their workers a proper living wage, and to do a good job with the builds in order to minimize any issues (which lead to returns, which cost more money for warranty repair etc). No, it's not budget gear, and it is certainly possible to get excellent amps or DACs for lower prices if that's the goal. Thankfully the market is able to support various products and pricing, and it's up to us to choose which ones are the best fit.

On another note. My friend what do you think is bigger step up? V280 to v550 or V550 To Niimbus?
Thanks.

Well I'd be extrapolating a bit as I mainly have experience with V281, V590, and Niimbus US4+. Can't say for sure how much that translates to V280, V550, and Niimbus US4 (non plus) but it should be vaguely in the same ballpark.

In any case I think the degree of improvement really depends on the rest of the setup. If one has a highly resolving rig (and listens to excellent recordings etc), the step from V550/V590 to Niimbus is remarkable. While the V5X0 sounds great, the Niimbus gives that "last few percent" improvement which can translate from "great sounding HiFi" to "convincingly lifelike" - yes I know I'm using a lot of quotation marks here but you get the point.

V28X to V5X0 is certainly an appreciable upgrade though, and if one listens to a more broad collection of music (some not particularly amazing in terms of quality) then it's a similar jump compared to V5X0 to Niimbus.

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #65 of 1,069
I think your comment about Violectric (and therefore Niimbus) having such good support and build quality ties directly in with the pricing aspect. Plus the company has always been open about wanting to pay their workers a proper living wage, and to do a good job with the builds in order to minimize any issues (which lead to returns, which cost more money for warranty repair etc). No, it's not budget gear, and it is certainly possible to get excellent amps or DACs for lower prices if that's the goal. Thankfully the market is able to support various products and pricing, and it's up to us to choose which ones are the best fit.

Well I'd be extrapolating a bit as I mainly have experience with V281, V590, and Niimbus US4+. Can't say for sure how much that translates to V280, V550, and Niimbus US4 (non plus) but it should be vaguely in the same ballpark.

In any case I think the degree of improvement really depends on the rest of the setup. If one has a highly resolving rig (and listens to excellent recordings etc), the step from V550/V590 to Niimbus is remarkable. While the V5X0 sounds great, the Niimbus gives that "last few percent" improvement which can translate from "great sounding HiFi" to "convincingly lifelike" - yes I know I'm using a lot of quotation marks here but you get the point.

V28X to V5X0 is certainly an appreciable upgrade though, and if one listens to a more broad collection of music (some not particularly amazing in terms of quality) then it's a similar jump compared to V5X0 to Niimbus.
Did you listen GS-X mini?

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #66 of 1,069

Understandable. Niimbus is probably out of my reach, but V550 is on my radar. Previously thought about Headamp mini, but you have to send it to Usa for repair and deal with customs and while i liked Topping a90 a lot i would feel set for life with German build quality and support.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #67 of 1,069
Did you listen GS-X mini?

I've heard it a handful of times but never in my own setup, and never for long enough to make any serious judgements on it. It seems like a great amp but that's as far as I can go.

Understandable. Niimbus is probably out of my reach, but V550 is on my radar. Previously thought about Headamp mini, but you have to send it to Usa for repair and deal with customs and while i liked Topping a90 a lot i would feel set for life with German build quality and support.

Support is something people seem to gloss over for some reason, but I think you have a good point here. Audio gear tends to be pretty reliable but failures do happen even with high-quality products, and in those unfortunate cases it's important to have solid support. Will the company still be around? And what is their reputation for handling issues? In the case of Violectric we have good answers to both of those inquiries.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #68 of 1,069
Received my V550 pro 3 days ago; connected to bricasti M3 (ethernet input) and had some short listenings:

- HD800S with stock single ended cable - works fine but too loud; for classical music, I need to set pre-gain to -18 to be able to turn volume to 12 o'clock. (M3 level is 0db)
- K1000 through XLR input - set pre-gain to -6 to be able to turn volume to 11~12 o'clock. However, left and right channel are reversed.

In both K1000 and V550 manuals, the XLR pin definition is:
1: left +
2: left -
3: right +
4: right -

What could the problem here? Inputs appreciated!
Curious to hear if you figured out what caused the channel reversal... :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #69 of 1,069
No experience as yet with the updated amps on offer, but regarding the earlier discussion on integrated DAC's, I have the V281 FE (build in DAC) paired with my RME ADI-2. In comparing the V281 solo vs. V281+RME I find the RME to be a much better pairing with the V281 than the internal DAC of the V281. To me it feels like the cooler RME paired with the warmer V281 operates more naturally than the V281 FE on it's own.
I am in the same boat - looking to pair my RME with one of the Violectric amps... Are you considering trying the 550/590?

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #71 of 1,069
+1 here as well. Looking for a stellar amp to go with the ADI-2 FS and have been considering the V550.
If you can find a V280/281 you can save some money. If not, probably impossible to go wrong with any Violetric/Nimbus. The DAC is optional on the V281 btw.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #72 of 1,069
Hi, I have been looking for reviews specifically for the vs550 alone but I'm not sure if there are any yet? I am contemplating on getting it but due to the lack of reviews i might just hold off for the meantime. I am coming from an auralic taurus mk2 amp and I have always felt that I missed out on the v281 for my hd800. Looking at the v550 this might be a chance for redemption. I might just have to wait a bit longer for more reviews and impressions.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #73 of 1,069
There is no need to wait for reviews. Anything stamped Violectric, Lake People, Nimbus is worth buying if the price is what you want to pay.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #74 of 1,069
There is no need to wait for reviews. Anything stamped Violectric, Lake People, Nimbus is worth buying if the price is what you want to pay.

You're right.

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_223201.jpg
    IMG_20210306_223201.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #75 of 1,069
Any thoughts on wether the v550 Pro is worth the upgrade? I’m considering a v550 and this would be an amp I’m looking to build a system around over time. Would I notice a difference between the v550 vs v550 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back