WA3+ & MF XCAN V8 with HD600 cans
May 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Csericks

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually had the chance to listen to both of these amps with HD600 cans. How do these two similarly priced amps compare? I don't care about preamp features I only care about sonics.

Thanks

May 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 6
In my experience the X-Can-V8 isn't a great match with the HD600, they sound veiled on this amp.. Dont know anout the WA3 though..

I think the general consensus is that the X-Can-V3 is a better match for HD600, but I haven't heard myself.

May 13, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience the X-Can-V8 isn't a great match with the HD600, they sound veiled on this amp.. Dont know anout the WA3 though..

I think the general consensus is that the X-Can-V3 is a better match for HD600, but I haven't heard myself.

Precisely... you are correct.

The v8 is underpowered with Senns - at least the two (US versions) that I had were (even with 2v+ output by all my sources). Though it is GREAT with low impedance phones.

The WA3 is great with Senns, but not Grados, or other low impedance phones - I had one of these also, which I sold because it struggled with Grados. Though... I've heard the WA3+ is a bit better with low impedance phones.

Though you didn't ask... for my money... I'd get the Millett MiniMax (or similar), which I also have now - its GREAT with both low impedance and high impedance phones - and it costs less than $400.

I haven't included all of these in my signature - since it is locked - but, I've tried them all.

May 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the input, no one else has experience?

May 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 6
I have read of Gradofan2 experiences w/ the XCan-V8. However other users are very happy w/ said combo, and have no idea why it happened. Your best bet would be to audition the amp for yourself.

May 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I absolutely love my WA3 (non +) with my HD600s. I did have the Xcan v3 when I had my HD650s but from what I remember, it sounded nowhere near as good as the 600/WA3 combo IMO. Plus tube rolling is so easy with the WA3 the possiblities are endless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back