Want to build an amp, best place for knowledge?
Nov 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
Currently rocking a Schiit Lyr 3, but i'm not content with mere tube rolling.

I want to learn how to build my own tube amp but my knowledge is minimal, circuit diagrams look like hieroglyphics to me :)

Of my knowledge, i know the incoming audio signal passes to the grid of a triode and is outputted to the plate, but i don't know what happens after that (output transformer(less?)

I know i need to do a lot of reading and ask alot of questions but no idea where to start.

Pleaase help :)

*EDIT* i do know how to solder (i've impressed myself by buying cardas quad) and i do own a proper fluke multimeter through my job as a Xerox field service engineer.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Currently rocking a Schiit Lyr 3, but i'm not content with mere tube rolling.

I want to learn how to build my own tube amp but my knowledge is minimal, circuit diagrams look like hieroglyphics to me :)

Of my knowledge, i know the incoming audio signal passes to the grid of a triode and is outputted to the plate, but i don't know what happens after that (output transformer(less?)

I know i need to do a lot of reading and ask alot of questions but no idea where to start.

Pleaase help :)

*EDIT* i do know how to solder (i've impressed myself by buying cardas quad) and i do own a proper fluke multimeter through my job as a Xerox field service engineer.

pmillett.com
tubebooks.org
www.tubecad.com
Headwize Memorial

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Tom shared some excellent links. If you prefer books to a screen, Vacuum Tube Amplifier Basics by EJ Jurich is a great first step, and once you're done with that, Morgan Jones makes some great books on the subject. Look up "Valve Amplifiers Jones" on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back