WE WANT MUD! Dark headphones appreciation thread
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #46 of 73
I want a cost no object dark headphone, closed or open, I want a forward mid-range but recessed highs. I do however want detsil. Cost does not mattrr to me. What headphones do I need to look at?

buy some 4000€ abyss, or the 1000€ audeze lcd2c

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #47 of 73
Are you sure about that? Looking at the T1 frequency graph (whichever generation) makes me sick to my stomach! How is it warmer than the 650: the one reliable cure for sibilance?
On low listening volumes, with a R2R or Tube Dac, the T1.2 are very listenable and can be called warm. The delivered power of the amp will affect the sound too.
Be aware of using them with above neutral or brighter dac, an Sabre dac for example.

Listen to them out of an Atoll HD100 ( much to bright ), low but enough power output for this impedance beast, a Moon 430ha ( fairly neutral dac, too bright with T1 ), Cocktail Audio X50 ( crap sounding, imo ), my Audio GD R28 in NOS 1 mode ( great synergy with more than enough power for the low end ) and my V30 ^^ ( low power output with bright sound, but less brighter because of the low power ).
The thing that bothers me on the T1 is the recessed mids, which sounds a bit hollow, comparing to my Era-1.
But with many hours of listening and "brain-in" :) they'll be a really good set of headphones, imo.

I want to mention the Ultrasone Performance 860 with thicker after market pads will tend to sound darker while having a hugh headstage for closed backs.
Especially with a 2.5 mm drilled hole on top of the cups.
Have done this to my 880's and it's a hugh different to it's original state.

As always, ymmv.

Have a great day.
Chris

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #48 of 73
On low listening volumes, with a R2R or Tube Dac, the T1.2 are very listenable and can be called warm. The delivered power of the amp will affect the sound too.
Be aware of using them with above neutral or brighter dac, an Sabre dac for example.

Listen to them out of an Atoll HD100 ( much to bright ), low but enough power output for this impedance beast, a Moon 430ha ( fairly neutral dac, too bright with T1 ), Cocktail Audio X50 ( crap sounding, imo ), my Audio GD R28 in NOS 1 mode ( great synergy with more than enough power for the low end ) and my V30 ^^ ( low power output with bright sound, but less brighter because of the low power ).
The thing that bothers me on the T1 is the recessed mids, which sounds a bit hollow, comparing to my Era-1.
But with many hours of listening and "brain-in" :) they'll be a really good set of headphones, imo.

I want to mention the Ultrasone Performance 860 with thicker after market pads will tend to sound darker while having a hugh headstage for closed backs.
Especially with a 2.5 mm drilled hole on top of the cups.
Have done this to my 880's and it's a hugh different to it's original state.

As always, ymmv.

Have a great day.
Chris
Apologies.
Have to revise my post in regard to the Cocktail Audio.

For listen to the headphones i've used the Cocktail Audio HA500H. But it didn't change my statement. :wink:
Same with the D7200 i've listen with.

The X50 didn't sound very well with my demoed Elac Air-X 407.
The Elac sounded much better out of my R28, confirmed by the dealer i'v bought this fantastic pair.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #49 of 73
LCD-3 Pre-Fazor

Killer bass, smooth milk chocolate mids, nice detail...super musical....very addicting to say the least

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #50 of 73

Nice to hear that about the T1.2. Back when the HD 800 and the T1 were first being compared, people always noted that the T1 was even brighter than the HD 800, which itself was unbearably bright. It's good to hear they have been able to address that in the second gen. The mids are probably scooped because of the distance between ears and the drivers. This helps with the great soundstage and incredible comfort. Not having drivers pressed on your ears will give you hours of use with no hotspots.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #51 of 73
Fostex t50rp mk3 ARGON are dark? what about the regular stock t50rp mk3?

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #53 of 73
My experience:

Stax 007MK1 - a nice warm/smooth headphone
Stax 007MK2 - warm
Sennhesier HE90 - nice color warm/smooth headphone (the texture, its the texture people!)
Audeze 2,4Z - warm and Dark headphones
Sony R10 - smooth / color headphone (King)
Meze Empyrean - Warm headphone
Beats- Muddy warm headphone
Audio Technica L3000 - Warm/smooth headphones
Stax Sigma Pro- warm Muddy dark headphone
Sony Z1R - color headphone
Hifiman Susvara - Naturally smooth, balance and color. Hifiman version of a R10 ish...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #55 of 73
On the really cheap side, there's the Koss Porta Pro! Sometimes when I'm working, I want something dark and not very hi-fi, because with better headphones I get tempted to focus more on the music and get distracted from my work. Plus, you can wear these things for hours.

Porta Pro is actually very good, biggest con is the massive leakage, second biggest is the pads disintegrating rather quick.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #57 of 73
I haven't heard the Porta pro, but I have the Sennheiser PX 100 ii which is delightfully warm. It's discontinued now but if anyone has heard it, how does it compare?
To say "it's been a while" would be an understatement. According to my memory, they do have quite some similarities. Porta Pros are a technically a little bit better and sound more dynamic. PX 100 have much better bass, tho.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #58 of 73
I haven't heard the Porta pro, but I have the Sennheiser PX 100 ii which is delightfully warm. It's discontinued now but if anyone has heard it, how does it compare?

I "have" both, but both are out of the house on loan. The PX100 II is darker, more open sound in Porta Pro. I would prefer the Porta Pro any day in the weak, even though the PX100 II is very good too.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #59 of 73
I "have" both, but both are out of the house on loan. The PX100 II is darker, more open sound in Porta Pro. I would prefer the Porta Pro any day in the weak, even though the PX100 II is very good too.

Great. These are nice little headphones, obviously. If any of these become wireless, that would be great. I mean truly wireless not the laughable kind the "wireless" porta pro is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back