Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Jan 3, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #302 of 396
From the DAC501/502 manual: using USB or LAN inputs uses the clock onboard the Weiss, whereas using AES or SPDIF inputs instead uses the clock on the source device (i.e., the streamer).

Has anyone found the AES/SPDIF input to be an improvement over USB/LAN, using a high-quality streamer? (The one I'm considering is the Eversolo DMP-A8.)

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #303 of 396
From the DAC501/502 manual: using USB or LAN inputs uses the clock onboard the Weiss, whereas using AES or SPDIF inputs instead uses the clock on the source device (i.e., the streamer).

Has anyone found the AES/SPDIF input to be an improvement over USB/LAN, using a high-quality streamer? (The one I'm considering is the Eversolo DMP-A8.)

Sorry, haven't tried it with a streamer. If you decide to go this route let us know how it works for you. I'd be open to a streamer if the results were positive.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #304 of 396
I’m not a big one for product reviews and only go by my own ears, but I do find reviews useful as an initial overview and functionality/tech spec for products that I may be interested in. I was looking for something online yesterday and came across a very detailed, extensive review of the DAC 502 (the review was 2 years old so pre 4CH upgrade) where they conducted some thorough lab testing and they concluded:

‘As you’ve no doubt gathered, the Weiss DAC 502 delivered phenomenally good performance across all the tests performed by Newport Test Labs. Across nearly all parameters, the Weiss DAC 502 delivered the best performance I have seen from any DAC… period. A stunning achievement indeed!

Not only is the Weiss DAC502 possibly the best DAC we've ever heard, it's relatively affordable compared with other high-end competitors. It packs in every possible feature and extra convenience you could want, and then some, and is futureproofed with its upgradeability’.

I was actually prompted to search the 501 after having read another review on LCD-5. I am thinking I might sell the LCD-5 for various reasons and and was looking to see how reports from others matched my own experience and that particular review highlighted certain aspects of the LCD-5 that I had found myself and which mars my enjoyment. The review stated

‘but sticking to the headphones, the pairing of the Weiss DAC501 with the LCD-5s is the most synergistic pairing I’ve yet heard for any headphone system.

It’s rare that a pair of headphones will go from odd with a half dozen different amplifiers and in drastic need of EQ—to completely wonderful without EQ on another amp. But the Weiss/LCD-5 pairing did just that’.

So I tried my LCD-5 plugged directly into my own 501 and can say that it does sound very good. Could it sound even better if/when Weiss release the EQ profile for LCD-5?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #305 of 396
And this might be quite interesting for some Weiss owners:

6417DC78-C467-43EA-A76D-8530ED99A9ED.jpeg
75E2A1DC-F4B2-4969-B3A5-10FFC5FE7F7B.jpeg

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #308 of 396
This thread went quiet in January. I was hoping for more views on the Helios, in particular. The blind test report was great but perhaps the Helios needed more burn-in. I’d love to know how it sounds after a few months.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #309 of 396
I’m hoping to audition both DACs - Helios and 501-2 - in the next few weeks once my dealer gets them in. Will also check performance against a Lina. So any updates would be great. This has been a really interesting thread and Malcyg in particular has been v helpful. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #310 of 396
I've not heard the Helois but it would be fun to compare versus the 501/2 MKII. I think the older version 501/502 while still competent would be outclassed by the newer generation and Helios but who knows.

On the subject of the 501 MKII. I have upgraded to a really nice Shunyata Research Alpha V2 NR power cord. This power cable has been on sale and while still very pricey represents about 1/5 the total cost of the DAC. This is at the absolute maximum I'm comfortable spending but it does take the DAC501 MKII to new heights.

It's often forgotten that a DAC can and does benefit from a premium power cable post conversion particularly in the analog section, as output voltage. Additionally the Weiss DAC501-4Ch has two separate toroidal transformers one for the digital section and one for the analog section. I find that both these transformers have shown a even higher ceiling with the cable upgrade. Increased dynamics and extension as well as a wider and deeper soundstage. I get more instrument localization and a more true to life natural timber with vocals. It's something that is easy to love once you've heard it. This is coming from the Shunyata Research Venom NR V10. So it's a jump in the product line of two. It's something I can't unhear and such a meaningful improvement that I'd really not want to be without it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #311 of 396
I've not heard the Helois but it would be fun to compare versus the 501/2 MKII. I think the older version 501/502 while still competent would be outclassed by the newer generation and Helios but who knows.

On the subject of the 501 MKII. I have upgraded to a really nice Shunyata Research Alpha V2 NR power cord. This power cable has been on sale and while still very pricey represents about 1/5 the total cost of the DAC. This is at the absolute maximum I'm comfortable spending but it does take the DAC501 MKII to new heights.

It's often forgotten that a DAC can and does benefit from a premium power cable post conversion particularly in the analog section, as output voltage. Additional the Weiss DAC501-4Ch has two separate toroidal transformers one for the digital section and one for the analog section. I find that both these transformers have shown a even higher ceiling with the cable upgrade. Increased dynamics and extension as well as a wider and deeper soundstage. I get more instrument localization and a more true to life natural timber with vocals. It's something that is easy to love once you've heard it. This is coming from the Shunyata Research Venom NR V10. So it's a jump in the product line of two. It's something I can't unhear and such a meaningful improvement that I'd really not want to be without it.

Incidentally I also recently upgraded my power cable, but to a Triode Wire Labs Obsession cable. Your comments on better instrument localization and timbre I think are true with this power cable as well. The sound-stage seems deeper and more realistic as well.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #312 of 396
Incidentally I also recently upgraded my power cable, but to a Triode Wire Labs Obsession cable. Your comments on better instrument localization and timbre I think are true with this power cable as well. The sound-stage seems deeper and more realistic as well.

I was just reading up on the Triode Wire Labs Obsession cable. It looks and sounds awesome!

Is it a pure silver cable? The Shunyata Alpha V2 NR I use is a combination of silver and copper. Just curious.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #313 of 396
I was just reading up on the Triode Wire Labs Obsession cable. It looks and sounds awesome!

Is it a pure silver cable? The Shunyata Alpha V2 NR I use is a combination of silver and copper. Just curious.

I think it's just copper, actually.

Though they do say "Utilizes conductive silver mylar as well as patented conductive carbonized external sleeving to assist in maintaining clean signals as well as providing interference & RF filtering.", whatever that means.

I actually considered the same Shunyata cable you bought. The main reason I didn't get it (apart from the additional cost) was that I also ordered a power conditioner - Puritan Audio PSM156 - and it seems like the NR of the Shunyata would duplicate some of that. If I were feeding the DAC straight from the wall I probably would have got the Shunyata.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #314 of 396
I think it's just copper, actually.

Though they do say "Utilizes conductive silver mylar as well as patented conductive carbonized external sleeving to assist in maintaining clean signals as well as providing interference & RF filtering.", whatever that means.

I actually considered the same Shunyata cable you bought. The main reason I didn't get it (apart from the additional cost) was that I also ordered a power conditioner - Puritan Audio PSM156 - and it seems like the NR of the Shunyata would duplicate some of that. If I were feeding the DAC straight from the wall I probably would have got the Shunyata.

The Puritan Audio PSM156 is a great power conditioner. I know alot of people here on Head-Fi love it. I think the whole idea of lowering the noise floor and conditioning power is still underrated. I think the idea is getting more traction here on Head-Fi due to the fact that may users, myself included run tube amps. And tube amps can sometimes be picky and show a variety of noise and even some transformer hum. It's more accepted in the two-channel world. That said I do think that overall many Head-Fiers can and do appreciate the importance and improvements in both high end cables and in power conditioning.

Glad you're loving and maximizing the 501 MKII! It's really a special DAC!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #315 of 396

It's often forgotten that a DAC can and does benefit from a premium power cable post conversion particularly in the analog section, as output voltage. Additionally the Weiss DAC501-4Ch has two separate toroidal transformers one for the digital section and one for the analog section. I find that both these transformers have shown a even higher ceiling with the cable upgrade. Increased dynamics and extension as well as a wider and deeper soundstage. I get more instrument localization and a more true to life natural timber with vocals. It's something that is easy to love once you've heard it. This is coming from the Shunyata Research Venom NR V10. So it's a jump in the product line of two. It's something I can't unhear and such a meaningful improvement that I'd really not want to be without it.
Of all the cable upgrades possible, this is the one I find most difficult to understand. I don't doubt your report -- I had a Weiss DAC-202 about ten years ago. I connected a PS Audio Perfect Wave power cord that happened to be spare, and was shocked that I could hear an improvement. I mean, at the other end of the wonderful power cord is the crappy old public electricity supply. So where does the magic happen? And why does it happen to a Weiss device which is otherwise scrupulously engineered against signal polution?

I could understand if there was a full power conditioner unit in between. But just a power cord? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back