Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #601 of 1,022
Hmmm, have you contacted Wells Audio? Could be a loose connection, but turning it off and on wouldn't solve that. Weird. Let us know how it works out.

I really miss my Headtrip and Milo, and thoroughly enjoyed them while I did own them. I'd love to hear the Milo Reference. Maybe I will try and pick up a used Milo some day once I have some funds together again.
I love the Milo Reference. Quite a step up from the Milo, but I unfortunately haven’t heard the Headtrip for comparison.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #602 of 1,022
Hmmm, have you contacted Wells Audio? Could be a loose connection, but turning it off and on wouldn't solve that. Weird. Let us know how it works out.

I really miss my Headtrip and Milo, and thoroughly enjoyed them while I did own them. I'd love to hear the Milo Reference. Maybe I will try and pick up a used Milo some day once I have some funds together again.

I have send my amplifer back to wells audio for repair. I will get back to you soon:)

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #603 of 1,022
i have the dave/ blu2 combo and find my utopia easy to drive with the combo but my abyss from time to time feels like it requires a bit more power for certain music....i purchased a used Milo and am waiting for it and should have it next week...interested to hear how it sounds with my system!

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #604 of 1,022
i have the dave/ blu2 combo and find my utopia easy to drive with the combo but my abyss from time to time feels like it requires a bit more power for certain music....i purchased a used Milo and am waiting for it and should have it next week...interested to hear how it sounds with my system!

My Abyss Phi needs high gain settings on all my HP amps, (#2 on my Rag), to open up the sound to my liking with volume levels set at between 10 and 1 most often. And I suspect I listen at lower levels than most to keep wide dynamic range swings from distorting drivers with any of my phones on full orchestral, (Mahler, Strauss, etc.).

My other phones drive fine on low gain settings.

I considered Milo at one point, curious to see what you think of the Milo / Abyss combo.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #605 of 1,022
My Milo "Reference" is for sale if anyone is interested. I have to consolidate and the Milo doesn't play nice with IEMs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-wells-audio-milo-reference.883627/

*EDIT*

I ended up keeping the Milo Reference. I tried purchasing the Moon 430HA thinking it would be on par with the Milo - plus I'd then have a fully balanced system. Well, what I ended up with was a newly found appreciation for the Milo Ref. which is at whole different level of naturalness, resolution, dynamics, and transparency from the 430HA.

The 430HA is being refunded, and that money is going back to Jeff along with the Milo Reference to get the Headtrip 2. I'm more sold than ever on Jeff and his amps. So much for selling the Milo and pocketing a few bucks... sigh.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #606 of 1,022
My Milo "Reference" is for sale if anyone is interested. I have to consolidate and the Milo doesn't play nice with IEMs.

*EDIT*

I ended up keeping the Milo Reference. I tried purchasing the Moon 430HA thinking it would be on par with the Milo - plus I'd then have a fully balanced system. Well, what I ended up with was a newly found appreciation for the Milo Ref. which is at whole different level of naturalness, resolution, dynamics, and transparency from the 430HA.

The 430HA is being refunded, and that money is going back to Jeff along with the Milo Reference to get the Headtrip 2. I'm more sold than ever on Jeff and his amps. So much for selling the Milo and pocketing a few bucks... sigh.
Unfortunately I do not have the option to reverse course, and I'm worried I'll regret my decision. I picked up a Sr009 at a price I could not walk away from, sold my Susvara yesterday and listed my Milo Reference in the for sale section last night. It really is a killer amp and drove the Susvara with ease. As far as dynamics go, I'm down to HEKv2 straight from DAVE now. :frowning2: The end of an era for my audio life...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-wells-milo-reference-edition.886570/

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #607 of 1,022

*EDIT*

I wish you had the reference to do a A-B comparison between HT2 and it. Dang. But still looking forward to your impressions.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #608 of 1,022
I wish you had the reference to do a A-B comparison between HT2 and it. Dang. But still looking forward to your impressions.
I still have the Milo Ref until the HT2 arrives. Jeff may let me have a little overlap so I can compare them for you and anyone else interested. I'm certainly curious as well. I also just pulled the trigger on the Denafrips Terminator DAC. Fun couple of weeks ahead of me!

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #609 of 1,022
I still have the Milo Ref until the HT2 arrives. Jeff may let me have a little overlap so I can compare them for you and anyone else interested. I'm certainly curious as well. I also just pulled the trigger on the Denafrips Terminator DAC. Fun couple of weeks ahead of me!

Damn you man, I am soooo jealous! I was just looking at it but facepalming at the price. LOL

BTW I wish I was rich like you. Please do let us know how it all sounds?

Which DAC do you have now? When is terminator coming ?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #610 of 1,022
I think you are going to be amazed with the HT and the LCD4. Listened with a friend who felt it was as good as it gets. For me the Abyss phi edged it out just a bit.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on synergy with the new DAC. What is your current setup?

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #611 of 1,022
I think you are going to be amazed with the HT and the LCD4. Listened with a friend who felt it was as good as it gets. For me the Abyss phi edged it out just a bit.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on synergy with the new DAC. What is your current setup?
I'm hoping. It is pretty amazing with the Milo Reference. I have AuralIc Aries>Yggy A2>Milo Ref>LCD4 WITH TOTL Shunyata interconnects and mid-range Shunyata power cables. The Wireworld platinum headphone cable is my favorite of the bunch including the DHC Prion.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #612 of 1,022
I'm hoping. It is pretty amazing with the Milo Reference. I have AuralIc Aries>Yggy A2>Milo Ref>LCD4 WITH TOTL Shunyata interconnects and mid-range Shunyata power cables. The Wireworld platinum headphone cable is my favorite of the bunch including the DHC Prion.

Will you possibly sell Yggy if you like the terminator ?

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #613 of 1,022
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #614 of 1,022
Most likely. Terminator should be here late this week.

I would be interested in Yggy 2 :D

I'll follow this thread to see if you decide to sell. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back