What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #14,131 of 14,566
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #14,132 of 14,566
https://twitter.com/JoeMesterhazy/status/1460770327923810310?s=20

Homepods were a dubious investment, news at 11

I’ve been investing increasingly in CDs - hoping Urd comes q1 2022.
re homepods, there's a reddit thread dealing with some issues, and which versions of software to use / avoid, but no fix for the DC offset failures burning the speaker voicecoils

hopefully, you bought those with a credit card offering extended warranty protection?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/lfvihr/homepod_popping_noise_diagnosed/

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #14,134 of 14,566
Hello. I'd like to introduce myself after lurking here since early 2020.

I got into Schiit after reading all of the chapters in Jason's thread and reading good reviews about the Schiit DACs and head amps. I had been listening to a 7th Gen iPod w/an upgraded 240GB SSD to hold Apple Lossless files played through a JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier and HD650s. Jumping to a Mimby (TOSLINK from my MacBook Pro) and Magni 3+ was amazing! I've since moved on to a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 and Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.

Now on to more important topics for this thread. :) (While lurking, I read every post on this thread.)

When I lived in Long Beach, CA from 94 to 2001, I went to the LA Opera (Dorothy Chandler Pavilion) when they were performing good stuff. I know Baldr and bosiemoncrieff will disagree with my assessment, but to me, "good stuff" is mostly Italian comic opera by Mozart and Donizetti. (I absolutely love Cosi!) I've also been to The Met several times and Lincoln Center and Santa Fe once each.

I make coffee using a Toddy cold brew system, and then mix the concentrate in a 2-to-1 ratio w/water. I take it "black and sour". I used a Capresso Infinity grinder for a while, but it wore out after a year or two (motor died), maybe because I grind about a pound of beans at a time. I replaced it with a Baratza Virtuoso, and it's been running for more than nine years now.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #14,135 of 14,566
Went to Santa Fe first time this year. Not a huge opera fan (daughter drags me there) but loved the city. And the opera venue is to die for.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #14,136 of 14,566
Welcome JoHager. I've been using a Baratza Vario W for quite a few years to make espresso. They make some outstanding grinders.

Forget the opera though. I'm quite happy at the sympony but rarely enjoy opera.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #14,137 of 14,566
Hello. I'd like to introduce myself after lurking here since early 2020.

I got into Schiit after reading all of the chapters in Jason's thread and reading good reviews about the Schiit DACs and head amps. I had been listening to a 7th Gen iPod w/an upgraded 240GB SSD to hold Apple Lossless files played through a JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier and HD650s. Jumping to a Mimby (TOSLINK from my MacBook Pro) and Magni 3+ was amazing! I've since moved on to a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 and Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.

Now on to more important topics for this thread. :) (While lurking, I read every post on this thread.)

When I lived in Long Beach, CA from 94 to 2001, I went to the LA Opera (Dorothy Chandler Pavilion) when they were performing good stuff. I know Baldr and bosiemoncrieff will disagree with my assessment, but to me, "good stuff" is mostly Italian comic opera by Mozart and Donizetti. (I absolutely love Cosi!) I've also been to The Met several times and Lincoln Center and Santa Fe once each.

I make coffee using a Toddy cold brew system, and then mix the concentrate in a 2-to-1 ratio w/water. I take it "black and sour". I used a Capresso Infinity grinder for a while, but it wore out after a year or two (motor died), maybe because I grind about a pound of beans at a time. I replaced it with a Baratza Virtuoso, and it's been running for more than nine years now.
Welcome! I have the seemingly bombproof Virtuoso +, but I’m either an Aeropress or Chemex kinda guy. Welcome to the insanity (or perhaps we’re the sane ones!).

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #14,138 of 14,566
Welcome! I have the seemingly bombproof Virtuoso +, but I’m either an Aeropress or Chemex kinda guy. Welcome to the insanity (or perhaps we’re the sane ones!).
I'm not sure where I fall on the sane/insane spectrum, but I seem to have lots of similar tendencies as folks here. :)

Years ago I used a French press. When the wife and I moved into an RV full time in 2008, I switched to an Aeropress because it was smaller and non-breakable. She didn't like me grinding coffee every morning while she was still dozing, so that's why I switched to the Toddy. I could grind the beans and start the brewing process once a week shortly before dinner, and by morning the concentrate was good to go. I only drink one large cup a day.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #14,140 of 14,566
I'm not sure where I fall on the sane/insane spectrum, but I seem to have lots of similar tendencies as folks here. :)

Years ago I used a French press. When the wife and I moved into an RV full time in 2008, I switched to an Aeropress because it was smaller and non-breakable. She didn't like me grinding coffee every morning while she was still dozing, so that's why I switched to the Toddy. I could grind the beans and start the brewing process once a week shortly before dinner, and by morning the concentrate was good to go. I only drink one large cup a day.
Many ways to get the job done!

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #14,141 of 14,566

I‘ve never heard of a Toddy. Should we argue about it?

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #14,142 of 14,566
I’m still loving my super automatic.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #14,143 of 14,566
Just listening to the 1962 Knappertsbusch now. It's quite thrilling to hear the grand old maestro in 60s stereo. I'm used to him primarily from the 51 Parsifal and Gotterdammerung, as well as his 1957 Ring, and hearing the interpretation in the relative sonic splendor of the 60s is a pleasure I wish I'd availed myself of earlier.

My sweetshop espresso from square mile coffee remains excellent, though more with the EK and Breville dual boiler than the hand grinder and flair machine. Though that might be due to any number of factors, most prominently the unstable temperature.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #14,144 of 14,566
When the wife and I moved into an RV full time in 2008, ...
Coffee discussion aside, wow. I cannot conceive of living like that, but to each his own and I hope you are very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back