What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 10, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #14,147 of 14,566
Thought about van life through the pandemic, what if scenario that international travel is out for the foreseeable future, maybe a winnibego is a substitute. Then started watching you tube. First off didn’t realize you can’t legally park and sleep in this thing except on crown land, provincial parks, private property with permission. then this is Canada , a great country and guiding light for social equity, tolerance, and democracy in this world right now, but there’s 4 good warm months. Then realized production quality fading, on these things, problems, maintenance, repaired, and the toilette, smells, garbage, couped up with the better half, etc, not to mention, there not cheap. Especially a little room your soon staring at couple of hundred G’s. oh and that back door open into a beautiful vista, mountains, beach, ocean, old sequoia, is an illusion. Most say your looking at a trash can, gravel, just trying to stay away from folks and have quiet night. You see rv honesty photos, here what I’m really looking at…
so everyone get vaccinated , boosted, lets get this thing covid under control. I hope travel without risk is possible one year again.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #14,148 of 14,566
Went to Santa Fe first time this year. Not a huge opera fan (daughter drags me there) but loved the city. And the opera venue is to die for.
Last time I was there, at a performance of Pearl Fishers, we watched the storm scene with a real thunderstorm visible through the open back stage! Probably the best of the opera venues!!!

Cheers

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #14,149 of 14,566
Was a season ticket holder at the Canadian opera company for a few years. Enjoyed it but realized going after a 7 course meal with pairings brought out the yawns and head nods. Found the ballet more stimulating and then there’s modern dance like eifman ballet from Russia, remarkable.

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #14,150 of 14,566
Thought about van life through the pandemic, what if scenario that international travel is out for the foreseeable future, maybe a winnibego is a substitute. Then started watching you tube. First off didn’t realize you can’t legally park and sleep in this thing except on crown land, provincial parks, private property with permission. then this is Canada , a great country and guiding light for social equity, tolerance, and democracy in this world right now, but there’s 4 good warm months. Then realized production quality fading, on these things, problems, maintenance, repaired, and the toilette, smells, garbage, couped up with the better half, etc, not to mention, there not cheap. Especially a little room your soon staring at couple of hundred G’s. oh and that back door open into a beautiful vista, mountains, beach, ocean, old sequoia, is an illusion. Most say your looking at a trash can, gravel, just trying to stay away from folks and have quiet night. You see rv honesty photos, here what I’m really looking at…
so everyone get vaccinated , boosted, lets get this thing covid under control. I hope travel without risk is possible one year again.
It's a bit easier to find boondocking spots in the US, with lots of free locations on BLM and Forest Service land, at least in the western US.

I know what you mean about 24/7 w/the spouse. The wife and I lasted about four years in our RV before we got his and hers RVs. :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #14,151 of 14,566
Just got a refurbished Sennheiser momentum 2 true wireless and they’re a substantial sonic improvement over AirPods Pro - shocker, right? - and at $149 before tax, a steal in terms of value. The soundstage is vastly improved, but the frequency curve itself is probably the biggest improvement. Perhaps so much so that I leave my KSE1500 stateside during next summer’s European tour.

Tickets are already in hand for Sokolov’s June 12 recital at the concertgebouw. Parsifal in Paris is next.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #14,152 of 14,566
Just got a refurbished Sennheiser momentum 2 true wireless and they’re a substantial sonic improvement over AirPods Pro - shocker, right? - and at $149 before tax, a steal in terms of value. The soundstage is vastly improved, but the frequency curve itself is probably the biggest improvement.
Now try something wired and the sonic improvement is even bigger. Bluetooth sucks for sound.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #14,153 of 14,566
Similar situation here in Germany. A couple of my colleagues are into camper vans, (and I have an old VW T1 „splitscreen“, but not the camper version). We looked into getting a „Kastenwagen“ conversion, something with three berths, kitchenette and shower room for spontaneous weekend trips to the mountains etc.. We got close to buying a Pössl. Then came the epiphany:

- Even in the pandemic, it’s easier to find a hotel room than a camping pitch. You “spontaneously” have to book weeks in advance.
- The typical campsite is like a “Kleingartenverein”.
- You can’t actually ever use the shower, because the humidity gets into the structure of the vehicle and rots it. The “bathroom” is actually an “emergency toilet”. You use the grotty public facilities on the campsite.
- These things are pigs to drive.
- Van conversions aren’t suitably insulated for winter use (and your water tank freezes up).
- You have to pay for a parking space for the winter. This is generally outside, so the van deteriorates and depreciates.
- There is as much maintenance as on a 45-foot yacht. And the heads are fun to clean out.
- Finally, I calculated how many flights and hotel nights the purchase price will buy (minus resale value after five years). We can always spontaneously book a hotel room in the Harz mountains, and go there in style…

BA6A6CF5-4EFC-4E9A-9577-6785F602AA03.jpeg

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #14,154 of 14,566
That was easily the most accurate description of RV living that I've read to date.
For those living or 'camping' in Class-A motorhomes this doesn't apply to you.

The old saying of "If it flys, floats, or faces water - rent, don't buy" applies here.
The NSFW version also applies.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #14,155 of 14,566
Hi @Baldr any chance you'll work on a Gungnir 2 any time soon?

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #14,156 of 14,566
That was easily the most accurate description of RV living that I've read to date.
For those living or 'camping' in Class-A motorhomes this doesn't apply to you.

The old saying of "If it flys, floats, or faces water - rent, don't buy" applies here.
The NSFW version also applies.
Especially the NSFW version.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #14,157 of 14,566
Enjoying the Kubelik Meistersinger on YouTube - I realize that what I ordered off Amazon was NOT the Kubelik I had thought it was, but the 1955 recording with Schwarzkopf. Unfortunately, the Arts Music transfer (the good one) is $75 plus shipping - just a touch more than I am willing to spend at the moment, even for the #1 Meistersinger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back