What book are you reading right now?
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,501 of 5,358
16615_large.jpg

9781921643910_1125745.jpg

81C7oRhuXrL.jpg

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #4,506 of 5,358

I realize that books on programming are not the usual fare for this thread (one of the only mention of a book on programming over the course of the entire thread was for Programming Perl), but I have been really enjoying Edwin Brady's "Type-Driven Development with Idris". I found the pace to be nice and brisk, considering the concepts being covered. I managed to skim through the entire book over the weekend, and it was pleasant enough that I ended up going for a second, more in-depth pass at it. I've been following Idris for a while, and have briefly browsed the documentation at various times to get an idea of the language. This book is more focused on the capabilities that dependent typing provides in a practical context, which really goes with the idea that Brady (the creator of Idris) intends the language to be a general-purpose language, whereas other languages incorporating dependent typing like Agda and Coq (technically, the language is Gallina for the latter) are more intended for writing proofs. And indeed, I found the contents covered in a very concrete manner. It doesn't get too deep into type theory or anything but I found it to be a good overview on the topic, at least for what was needed to understand the examples. The book states that "Readers will ideally already be familiar with functional programming concept ... although the book introduces these and other concepts as necessary", but really, it explains these concepts well enough that you could get away with very little prior FP knowledge and still have a fairly easy time with it.

​Seems that the book was released to coincided with the release of Idris 1.0 (which means that the core language is stable). I had trouble building the preceding 0.99.2 release for whatever reason (had to clear. stack-work), but it was fine this time around. I'd recommend giving it the language at least, if the idea of dependent typing in everyday programming appeals to you, because now's as good a time as ever.

Brady gave a talk with the same name as the book, and it is a good, quick overview of the language.

​I was really on an eBook kick last month, and have been grabbing things like crazy. Now to sit down and finish some of them...

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,508 of 5,358

Actually #3 and #4 in Jack's chronological
life.  He's now out of the Army and just
wandering around, getting into trouble and
saving random people.  Good reads.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #4,509 of 5,358

Actually #3 and #4 in Jack's chronological
life.  He's now out of the Army and just
wandering around, getting into trouble and
saving random people.  Good reads.

I've read all the Jack Reacher books at least once................good recommendation bud! 

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,511 of 5,358
  I've read all the Jack Reacher books at least once................good recommendation bud! 

Me too - this is my 2nd time through.  Amazed at how much I missed the first time around.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back