What to get for Extreme Isolation, Extreme Comfort, Extreme Sub Bass?
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
i am on a bassy trip right now. So i am searching for some headphones, with a relaxed yet bassy nature (hate the treble of M50s for example). They should be very and i mean VERY comfortable to wear and have to isolate near iem levels.

What could you suggest? I pulled the trigger for the maudio q40 which will arrive next weak, but i am afraid of comfort and isolation.

Dt770 pro might be a choice, but still afraid of beyer peaks.

what else is out there for my needs?

Listen to ambient and chillout most of the time.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 37
I listen to DI.FM chillout stations all the time. Just purchased some Sony XB800's and they definitely have a smooth sound to them with some great bass. No need to use an amp  with them or EQ them for more bass, from my experience.

In terms of comfort, I find them very comfortable, and they isolate better than my HFI 580's I find even though they sit on the ear rather than around it. They are big enough that they basically go around the ear and on it with the 50mm driver. I'm glad I bought them, although I bought them for $99 rather than $159 at the Sony store. Not sure I would have paid $159 at this point as they were untested, and I didn't hear that much that was positive about them. Definitely much much better than the beats. Definitely a veil compared to the 580's, but that's basically what you get when it comes to more bass. It's a trade off, and that's why I have more than one pair of headphones. They definitely scratch my bass itch. Anything more would be too much bass for me.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 37
The XB500 throws quality out the window, and the V100 probably won't isolate as well as you would hope. Have you looked at any Ultrasones?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 37
The M Audio Q40 and Beyerdynamic DT770 sure have
a lot of what you want - they were the first two
suggestions that came to my mind before I
read your complete post and saw they were
already on your radar.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
heard all the ultrasones and simply cannot arrange with their metallic trebles.

It depends on the model you get. The HFI-580, I think, is not actually that bad. I think some of the criticisms of its treble have been overstated. The HFI-780, though, does definitely have issues with that if you don't like up-front treble.

EDIT: My phone originally decided to choose words I didn't type, so I cleaned up the spelling.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 37
recently i got the denon d1100 and the q40 with beyer velours. both are not bad, and i like the denons better. the q40 does not isolate as well and the bass is slow. but mids on the denons sound a little artificial. so my only chance is the dt770s, right? or any more suggestions?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:
recently i got the denon d1100 and the q40 with beyer velours. both are not bad, and i like the denons better. the q40 does not isolate as well and the bass is slow. but mids on the denons sound a little artificial. so my only chance is the dt770s, right? or any more suggestions?

Why not go with them?
The only reason you gave was concern with "Beyer peaks", and IME they're not peaky headphones.
They've got plenty of bass, plenty.  They isolate well.  They're very well made and if you don't like
them you can sell them easily because they're popular and justifiably enjoy a very good reputation.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 37
True, but no matter what you're buying from a set of headphones to a house,
there are going to be some tradeoffs.  Looking for the fewest possible with
respect to headphones, I still say go with the DT770's.  Most high quality closed
headphones tend towards being 'bulky', especially those with the big bottom end
you're looking for.  Otherwise you could get some Senn HD 251ii's and be done with it.
Those little guys do have pretty good bass though, come to think of it...but nowhere
near what the 770's put out.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 37
still thinking of bose ae2 (i know 
rolleyes.gif
) and krk kns8400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back