Which Amp/ DAC to get?
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Not Deaf

Head-Fier
I currently have an Objective O2 + ODAC combo that has suited me well for a number of years. I have been lately thinking of upgrading this combination for something that is more detailed, gives a wider soundstage, and has a little more engagement and warmth. Because of this, I have been leaning towards a tube amp and want to know what people are using with a Sennheiser HD800/ 800S.

From my research so far, I am really considering picking up a Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. Can someone explain the difference in sound between Gen 1 and Gen 2, a solid state vs a vacuum PSU, and different tubes.

I'm also open to suggestions for other DAC/ Amp combinations and would like to keep the max budget at $750.

I'm thinking of buying used unless it would be unwise to do so.

Any help is appreciated!

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 2
I could be up the creek here but it seems to me that what you are asking for is not the province of the Dac or amp. I think you would be better finding headphones whose sound you like. Or possibly EQ. Otherwise you are basically looking for an amp that has distortion that you find pleasing. Another thought. I think that it is s misconception that because tubes glow they have a warm sound. As I say I could be wrong. I don't like to be hair shirt but I have been caught so many times over the years. Just be cautious of spending hard earned money on things that do not perform as you imagine. There is so much BS spoken about these things. IMHO. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back